I haven't really seen a thread on this topic, but I've been researching different music for my ceremony, cocktail hour, reception, etc and I was a little bit stumped. I love music, but I didn't think that having a top 40 song to walk down the isle to was necessarily appropriate. So, I started doing some research. I stumbled across a record company (Vitamin Records) that does popular music covers with a string quartet. I went to Amazon.com and searched "vitamin records in mp3" and found 445 entries of different singles and albums in tribute form. They use a number of titles, but I find searching by the record company has really helped.
My personal favorites?
- Maybe I'm Amazed - Tribute to Paul McCartney (Vitamin String Quartet Tribute To Valentines Day)
- God Bless the Broken Road - Tribute to Rascal Flatts (Strung Out Vol. 6)
- Your Song - Tribute to Elton John (Vitamin String Quartet Tribute To Valentines Day)
- Your Eyes - Tribute to Peter Gabriel (The Rock and Rolls Valentines Day Collection)
- All I Want Is You - Tribute to U2 (The Rock n Roll Wedding Tribute)
- I'll Be - Tribute to Edwin McCain (Strung Out Volume 6)
- It's Your Love - Tribute to Tim McGraw and Faith Hill (Vitamin String Quartet Tribute To Valentines Day)
- Everlong - Tribute to Foo Fighters
- Hallelujah - Tribute to Jeff Buckley (or Leonard Cohen) (Strung Out Vol. 9)
- Come Away With Me - Tribute to Norah Jones
The best thing is, you can go through and preview every single song and then the downloads are only $0.99. My Fiance really loves the music (who knew?) and has even suggested using Vitamin String Tribute to Star Wars. (Good luck with that.) I also had a dinner party the other night and played a mix of this music (specifically Pearl Jam and Nirvana) and my friends husband asked me if I could make a copy of it for him as he loved it.
I really hope that this helps some of you. I know that I will be using my iPod through my wedding day and I feel like I have a better handle on my music now, and I feel like it will appeal to all of my guests.
Here is the link to the searched Amazon website:
If anyone has some more suggestions - In terms of tribute music by vitamin records or another source - please feel free to add it here. I would love any input on piano or acoustic guitar tributes as well!