Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cdc150

"First Look" Photos

Recommended Posts

Has/is anyone done "first look" photos?  Our ceremony is at sunset and we need to do our pictures beforehand so they're not done in the dark.  I would love to hear your thoughts and see some shots if you had them done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't done them (obviously, since we're getting married next April LOL), but everytime I see them, I love them. I always think they're some of the sweetest, most personal photos - before you're in front of all the guests.

 

We're trying to figure out the logistics of doing them (getting off the ship at separate times, but seeing each other at the courthouse pre-ceremony).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will be doing pictures before the ceremony as well.  We are getting married this November and the sun will set at 5:10 so if we wanted to get pictures in after the ceremony but before the sun goes down then we would have the ceremony around 3:30pm.  However, I don't want my guests to have to entertain themselves for a long time before the reception at dinner time.  So that means pictures before the ceremony and the ceremony starting at 4:30pm.

 

So I will definitely be setting up a first look.  I have seen first look pictures staged in a resort's garden area, on a pier, on decks, etc.  I plan on scoping out the resort the couple of days before the wedding to pick the best location.  You want to find a place with a nice walkway for you to approach but also a nice backdrop for the pictures.

 

The pictures that I have seen are a series that include the following:

1. photographer taking a picture of the groom's front while the bride walks up in the background - you will want pictures with both of you in focus, then the groom in focus (bride out of focus), and lastly bride in focus (groom out of focus)

2.  photographer moves around to behind bride and then the groom turns around so the groom's expression is captured - you will want pictures of just the groom's reaction along with some looking over the bride's shoulder at the groom

3.  photographer moves around as the bride and groom embrace & kiss (would be a nice touch if the groom holds the bride's had and spins her around to see the whole dress)

Sorry I don't have pictures to show now, but as my wedding is in November you will get to see mine before your wedding day.

Originally Posted by cdc150 View Post

Has/is anyone done "first look" photos?  Our ceremony is at sunset and we need to do our pictures beforehand so they're not done in the dark.  I would love to hear your thoughts and see some shots if you had them done!



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats, CLGriffi, looking forward to seeing your pics!
 

Originally Posted by clgriffi7 View Post

We will be doing pictures before the ceremony as well.  We are getting married this November and the sun will set at 5:10 so if we wanted to get pictures in after the ceremony but before the sun goes down then we would have the ceremony around 3:30pm.  However, I don't want my guests to have to entertain themselves for a long time before the reception at dinner time.  So that means pictures before the ceremony and the ceremony starting at 4:30pm.

 

So I will definitely be setting up a first look.  I have seen first look pictures staged in a resort's garden area, on a pier, on decks, etc.  I plan on scoping out the resort the couple of days before the wedding to pick the best location.  You want to find a place with a nice walkway for you to approach but also a nice backdrop for the pictures.

 

The pictures that I have seen are a series that include the following:

1. photographer taking a picture of the groom's front while the bride walks up in the background - you will want pictures with both of you in focus, then the groom in focus (bride out of focus), and lastly bride in focus (groom out of focus)

2.  photographer moves around to behind bride and then the groom turns around so the groom's expression is captured - you will want pictures of just the groom's reaction along with some looking over the bride's shoulder at the groom

3.  photographer moves around as the bride and groom embrace & kiss (would be a nice touch if the groom holds the bride's had and spins her around to see the whole dress)

Sorry I don't have pictures to show now, but as my wedding is in November you will get to see mine before your wedding day.



 



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just reading those descriptions of the pictures makes me want to do first look pictures!!!

 

Originally Posted by clgriffi7 View Post

We will be doing pictures before the ceremony as well.  We are getting married this November and the sun will set at 5:10 so if we wanted to get pictures in after the ceremony but before the sun goes down then we would have the ceremony around 3:30pm.  However, I don't want my guests to have to entertain themselves for a long time before the reception at dinner time.  So that means pictures before the ceremony and the ceremony starting at 4:30pm.

 

So I will definitely be setting up a first look.  I have seen first look pictures staged in a resort's garden area, on a pier, on decks, etc.  I plan on scoping out the resort the couple of days before the wedding to pick the best location.  You want to find a place with a nice walkway for you to approach but also a nice backdrop for the pictures.

 

The pictures that I have seen are a series that include the following:

1. photographer taking a picture of the groom's front while the bride walks up in the background - you will want pictures with both of you in focus, then the groom in focus (bride out of focus), and lastly bride in focus (groom out of focus)

2.  photographer moves around to behind bride and then the groom turns around so the groom's expression is captured - you will want pictures of just the groom's reaction along with some looking over the bride's shoulder at the groom

3.  photographer moves around as the bride and groom embrace & kiss (would be a nice touch if the groom holds the bride's had and spins her around to see the whole dress)

Sorry I don't have pictures to show now, but as my wedding is in November you will get to see mine before your wedding day.



 



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been compiling pictures in word files to show my photographer what I want and I just remembered that I had copied these first look photos. 

 

This whole picture is from a BDW bride's photo album, and it is a great way to see how the first look "story" can be told after the fact.  I am sorry I didn't record this bride's name - but whoever she is she did a great job!

 

First look.png

 

Hope this helps to visualize!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Me too! I had never heard of them before. Those pics would be so awesome to look back on!
 

Originally Posted by JayKay View Post

Just reading those descriptions of the pictures makes me want to do first look pictures!!!

 



 



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  


  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • what kind of headpiece did you wear? or are planning to wear?
    • Hi there! I visited Now Amber PV in February for a wedding event for travel industry professionals. I stayed there for 4 days and they hosted us for several events and two dinners and everything was amazing. Their wedding department staff/team is incredible and the designs/decor were all crafted so beautifully!! There are several wonderful options to host events and I was so impressed by how they utilized and transformed each of the spaces. We had events in the lobby, which has the most beautiful view. On the beach, in the middle area terrace of the resort, and on the pool deck. The service was top notch and entertainment was fantastic. As a resort, it was a great place to spend a getaway. The resort staff is great, the food/drinks were all delicious and the overall vibe of the place is just perfect. Your daughter has picked a wonderful resort to host her wedding! If you have any more specific questions about Now Amber, feel free to ask here! Or shoot an email to info@wrighttravelagency.com -- this is the official travel agency of this forum and several members on our team have stayed at Now Amber and had couples book their wedding there 😊
    • Hi all! I'm looking for people who would like to participate in a (quick!) survey about destination weddings in Italy. I'm an Italian student and I'm currently doing a project on destination weddings. Here's the link to the form: https://forms.gle/XeWWU1orwqyp3de5A THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
    • Hello I am planning to get married at Jade Mountain in 2020 any new updates on weddings there or other St Lucia hotels and vendors appreciated 
    • Thanks for your good list.  I also love Marry Me and I'm Yours. 
  • Topics

×
×
  • Create New...