Legal vs. Symbolic Ceremonies in Mexico

I am currently having the same debate but I am not 100% clear on what all is involved if you go the legal wrote.  Can someone explain to me?  If I choose to go the symbolic route do I eliminate the need to get a blood test and translate the birth and marriage certificates once I get down there.  I think that would save a lot of unnecessary stress.

We are in the same dilemma... We get married 9/1 at Playacar Palace and definitely want the symbolic (spiritual) part, but since that isn't recognized as a legal ceremony, our resort tells us we either have to get the legal part done before we leave the U.S., or forego the spiritual part. My fiancé doesn't want to do the legal part before we leave (and I'm respecting this, too... He has also been giving of letting me choose everything!). I can't imagine not having the spiritual part. I don't want it to feel strange being translated from Spanish... And with no minister present!!! Has anyone heard if you can pay extra to do both??I know we can't be the only couple who prefers this!!?? Any feedback is appreciated! :)

For eyeballs - yes a symbolic ceremony avoids the need for blood tests and paperwork. but for me personally, i would feel a bit weird about asking people to travel so far if it isnt a real wedding. i know people here see do see it as their real wedding (and im genuinely not trying to offend anyone), but somehow that piece of paper means a lot to me!

for me its the opposite scenario to most - my fiance wants the catholic ceremony and is not sure if we'll have time for the judge (to make it legal) at our preferred venue (hes mexican and so the catholic aspect is the most important to them). We live in monterey mexico, so he suggested we do the legal bit here afterwards alone after travelling to cancun for the catholic bit and ceremony. Whereas i dont want to have this big elaborate wedding and reception and end the day single. So my choice would be the legal ceremony over the catholic one if i had to choose. and then do the catholic one with no guests.  im sure it must be possible to have a non-catholic symbolic AND legal ceremony for you guys though. you could find out if its possible to get a script of both kinds of ceremonies and see the difference?

I think the translator wouldnt make it too awkward - i can understand spanish but i would prefer to say any vows in english, and i would like my fiance to say them in his own language

Originally Posted by Watjol View Post

We are in the same dilemma... We get married 9/1 at Playacar Palace and definitely want the symbolic (spiritual) part, but since that isn't recognized as a legal ceremony, our resort tells us we either have to get the legal part done before we leave the U.S., or forego the spiritual part. My fiancé doesn't want to do the legal part before we leave (and I'm respecting this, too... He has also been giving of letting me choose everything!). I can't imagine not having the spiritual part. I don't want it to feel strange being translated from Spanish... And with no minister present!!! Has anyone heard if you can pay extra to do both??I know we can't be the only couple who prefers this!!?? Any feedback is appreciated! :)

• 6 months later...

Alexsgirl99--

Although my fiance and I stayed at the Catalonia Riviera Maya resort right next to Dreams, we actually did get engaged at the Dreams resort.  I've only been on the beach in front of Dreams, and in the gazebo where he proposed, but the area is beautiful!  You'll likely even get married in the spot he proposed to me, so I know it'll be a beautiful wedding.  We're in the process of convincing my parents to go to Catalonia Riviera Maya with us in two years for a destination wedding too :)

Good luck with your planning!

• 2 months later...
Originally Posted by Cdunn514 View Post

I had the same feelings as you are, we have decided to get married legally in the US first, we will celebrate our date in Mexico as our anniversary though and we are not telling anyone. I that that ceremony will be the one that counts the other stuff is just paper work. The more I thought about it the more it just seemed like too much of a hassle to get married legally down there.

I felt the same way... but recently a friend of mine did the JP before her DW in Puerto Rico, and she swears that the symbolic wedding in PR felt every bit as exciting and special as if it was the "real" wedding! Hope this helps. 

Originally Posted by LCB803 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdunn514 View Post

I had the same feelings as you are, we have decided to get married legally in the US first, we will celebrate our date in Mexico as our anniversary though and we are not telling anyone. I that that ceremony will be the one that counts the other stuff is just paper work. The more I thought about it the more it just seemed like too much of a hassle to get married legally down there.

I felt the same way... but recently a friend of mine did the JP before her DW in Puerto Rico, and she swears that the symbolic wedding in PR felt every bit as exciting and special as if it was the "real" wedding! Hope this helps. 

Oh yeah-- and as a guest at her wedding, I didn't mind that it was symbolic only-- it felt every bit as real and special to me, too :)

Originally Posted by Watjol View Post

We're doing a Catholic ceremony at a Catholic chapel so that it will be "real" and also spiritual. We are bringing our own priest to avoid the translation issue (and because it was important to us to have our officiant know us).

We are paying for his flight with frequent flier miles, and his hotel room should be free since our hotel (Hacienda Tres Rios) offers one free room for every 20 rooms booked :)