The new Paradisus Playa del Carmen (La Perla and La Esmeralda)

I tried to negotiate the wedding vendor fee as well when I was planning my wedding there and they would not budge. I advised them that other hotels had a fee ranging of $160-$600 max I did not understand why Paradisus charged so much. I emailed Blue Lens and after getting their package pricing cost I made the decision to have my wedding at a private beach club 5 minutes from the hotel instead. The money I would of paid to bring an inside photographer in the hotel for a day went to better use as I used it to pay the photographer I wanted elsewhere. Paradisus is a beautiful resort the only issue I found with them is they don't try to meet you half way when planning your wedding there all the outside vendor fees there are way too expensive. It's $1000 for all the outside vendor fees so even if you brought in your own make up artist/hair dresser it would cost you $1000, florist $1000 etc it just seemed way too high. Maybe they will learn just because they are a new resort they can't charge brides so much just to have a wedding there seems unfair.

Originally Posted by Rola Nabhan View Post

What is everyone doing for ceromoney music? I think I'm just going to use our DJ for ceromoney music since we are flying him out -I initially was getting a saxophonist but we are way over budget so now just cutting back on a few things lol!! I'm just worried about the timing of music since we don't know how long it will take the bridal party to walk across the gabi bridge - we are only going to be practicing the day before the wedding -

I was intending on having an acoustic guitarist play for the ceremony.  Haven't even gotten that far yet, though!  Utilizing the DJ seems like a good idea!  I was going to have live music for my cocktail hour and DJ for reception only, but I decided to have him play for cocktail hour too in order to save some money.

Hi imnnotarunner!

I was wondering if you could give us more information on how your site visit went. I am set to get married on June 21, 2014 at the gabi bridge and am planning to do my site visit this June. How was it when you arrived, did they upgrade you like they say they would? Also were you able to visit the different reception sites and do food tasting. I am also very anxious about the whole decorating company they seem very pricey! Do you have any pictures of the center pieces they quotes on you. Sorry for all the questions but I just feel like Paradisus representatives are so vague when answeing my questions

Thanks again for all your info!

The ladies were great, they took us around the various locations for possible ceremony and reception sites. We went over the linens, the colors for flowers, etc.

IT was WAY TOO LONG. Dragged on the entire day. Met with Perla the decorator rep from Alquima, the videographer rep from Blue Lens(not the actual videographer, some young lady who looked like she was barely 21.) Everyone's very nice and accommadating. Then the food tasting, that was delightful. Except when I got home. I realized we never tasted the cake. No apologies except the lady told me we'll do it the day before the wedding. Grr..Oh well. When we arrived we got upgraded to a swim up suite that was pretty awesome.  I loved it. 
The decorating company is outrageous. Perla is sweet but her prices set by her company are extremely high.  A simple rose centerpiece was 180 per table. I don't even have to pay for that in the States. I contacted Cherry Blossoms florist and they quoted me only 40 bucks. I haven't signed a contract or anything yet. I can email you info I have. 

PS.  One thing that bothers me is their Alquima packages and pricelist are phony.  It explicitly states DJ is 900 for 3 hours, but JSAV sends me their price which is 1200 for the same thing. When I contacted Paradisus they ignored me, not sure what that's about.  There's a few things on that list that do not match the prices they gave me when I did the walk through with Perla. Not sure if I should pursue it.

If I had to redo this I would not have picked this resort. Yes it's beautiful but the prices are like Beverly Hills prices.

What ever they promise you in the walk through will be ignored by the reps in Miami.  Then when you go back to the wedding planner they deny saying it. So whatever you do GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING.  It's a bait and switch scam. I understand it's money but it sucks.

Originally Posted by imnotarunner View Post

The ladies were great, they took us around the various locations for possible ceremony and reception sites. We went over the linens, the colors for flowers, etc.

IT was WAY TOO LONG. Dragged on the entire day. Met with Perla the decorator rep from Alquima, the videographer rep from Blue Lens(not the actual videographer, some young lady who looked like she was barely 21.) Everyone's very nice and accommadating. Then the food tasting, that was delightful. Except when I got home. I realized we never tasted the cake. No apologies except the lady told me we'll do it the day before the wedding. Grr..Oh well. When we arrived we got upgraded to a swim up suite that was pretty awesome.  I loved it. 

The decorating company is outrageous. Perla is sweet but her prices set by her company are extremely high.  A simple rose centerpiece was 180 per table. I don't even have to pay for that in the States. I contacted Cherry Blossoms florist and they quoted me only 40 bucks. I haven't signed a contract or anything yet. I can email you info I have. 

PS.  One thing that bothers me is their Alquima packages and pricelist are phony.  It explicitly states DJ is 900 for 3 hours, but JSAV sends me their price which is 1200 for the same thing. When I contacted Paradisus they ignored me, not sure what that's about.  There's a few things on that list that do not match the prices they gave me when I did the walk through with Perla. Not sure if I should pursue it.

If I had to redo this I would not have picked this resort. Yes it's beautiful but the prices are like Beverly Hills prices.

What ever they promise you in the walk through will be ignored by the reps in Miami.  Then when you go back to the wedding planner they deny saying it. So whatever you do GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING.  It's a bait and switch scam. I understand it's money but it sucks.

imnotarunner

thank you so much for your reply it is very helpful! I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and getting definite answers. Did they give you choices for the food tasting? The day before for cake tasting sounds like they are cutting it too short, but i'm sure you will be fine! Nice you got to upgrade, hopefully I will get the same treatment :-) wow that is pricey for center pieces! Yes plese send me the info my email is sotoalvarez2014@gmail.com do you know if Paradisus would actually let you work with these vendors. I know they tend to charge a $1000 fee for outside verdors. thanks so much again for all the advice I will make SURE to get everything in writting!!!

Originally Posted by happilyeveraftr View Post

I tried to negotiate the wedding vendor fee as well when I was planning my wedding there and they would not budge. I advised them that other hotels had a fee ranging of $160-$600 max I did not understand why Paradisus charged so much. I emailed Blue Lens and after getting their package pricing cost I made the decision to have my wedding at a private beach club 5 minutes from the hotel instead. The money I would of paid to bring an inside photographer in the hotel for a day went to better use as I used it to pay the photographer I wanted elsewhere. Paradisus is a beautiful resort the only issue I found with them is they don't try to meet you half way when planning your wedding there all the outside vendor fees there are way too expensive. It's $1000 for all the outside vendor fees so even if you brought in your own make up artist/hair dresser it would cost you $1000, florist $1000 etc it just seemed way too high. Maybe they will learn just because they are a new resort they can't charge brides so much just to have a wedding there seems unfair.

I AGREE WITH YOU, atleast you had time to get out while you still can. The place is beautiful but the price and luxury comes at a premium. who in the world charges 1000 in vendor fees? ugh. Doesn't sit well with me at all.  It's like blackmailing you into using their vendor.

Hey ladies! I'm sorry I haven't been on here in a while!!! Reading through everything and I've missed a lot! Little update on our planning process - wedding date is booked and we have 34 guests attending as of now for our June 18, 2013 wedding! We booked Gabi bridge for ceremony have not picked cocktail location but are using Hadar for reception. As for vendor pricing - we are using Samuel Luna for photography on the day and for a TTD session! Because there are 2 photographers and we will have them 2 days there was ZERO way I was going to pay $4000 in vendor fees! It was far more economical for us to book them a room for the 3 night minimum they require! I strongly would suggest looking I to the hotel rate and if it's more beneficial to do that then pay the ridiculous vendor fees!!! Hope that helps a bit!

I feel the same way about Blue Lens. We went with Erick Rodqriguez of www.claudiaphoto.com. Looks like the vendor fee is sticking for us too :(. That $1000 could go so far!
I

I AGREE WITH YOU, atleast you had time to get out while you still can. The place is beautiful but the price and luxury comes at a premium. who in the world charges 1000 in vendor fees? ugh. Doesn't sit well with me at all.  It's like blackmailing you into using their vendor.

It was a decision I went back on forth on for awhile. The resort is beautiful don't get me wrong but the wedding planners and the additional cost especially vendor cost made my decision for me in the end and I went to a place close by the resort but it offered me more personal selection of what I wanted. I felt like the wedding planners wouldn't meet me half way on most things I asked so a month before my wedding I rebooked elsewhere. Something to consider you have any guests staying off resort there is a cost of $35 for a day pass and they are allowed 30 minutes before and after the wedding before they have to leave. I just got back a few weeks ago and the resort was beautiful, the food was great as well especially at the La palapa restaurant I would recommend it. If you don't have children attending the gazebo is beautiful at night time for a wedding reception. The hotel itself is very quiet which was hard for our wedding guests as they did not have any nightly entertainment but we went into town instead. Good luck with your planning

Originally Posted by happilyeveraftr View Post

It was a decision I went back on forth on for awhile. The resort is beautiful don't get me wrong but the wedding planners and the additional cost especially vendor cost made my decision for me in the end and I went to a place close by the resort but it offered me more personal selection of what I wanted. I felt like the wedding planners wouldn't meet me half way on most things I asked so a month before my wedding I rebooked elsewhere. Something to consider you have any guests staying off resort there is a cost of $35 for a day pass and they are allowed 30 minutes before and after the wedding before they have to leave. I just got back a few weeks ago and the resort was beautiful, the food was great as well especially at the La palapa restaurant I would recommend it. If you don't have children attending the gazebo is beautiful at night time for a wedding reception. The hotel itself is very quiet which was hard for our wedding guests as they did not have any nightly entertainment but we went into town instead. Good luck with your planning

so where did you end up going?  How much was to cancel?

so where did you end up going?  How much was to cancel?

I ended up cancelling a little more than a month before my wedding was booked at Paradisus La Perla and if it within 30 days I think you lose the $500 deposit but if it's more than that you get your refund I can check my papers for you if you like. I still have all the contracts that were sent to me. I feel like in the end I made the best decision by doing this not that I don't think brides shouldn't get married there as I said it's a beautiful resort and I wish all the brides the best in their wedding planning but for me it was the right decision for what I wanted. I found a place called the Grand Coral Beach club it's a private beach club and only 5 minutes from the Paradisus.

The main reasons I changed my mind was that I felt like the wedding planning at Paradisus was overwhelming for me, that the place did not care they were getting my business and wanted to go above and beyond or at least meet me half way to ensure I had the best wedding day possible. I am not a overly picky bride but communication is key when organizing your big wedding day but it would take 3 days to a week at times to get a response I would have to email constantly just asking if someone could please respond to me. At times I would call and I would get their answering machine when I wanted to speak with someone. The other reasons I changed my mind had to do with all the extra added costs to have my wedding there. Everything that I wanted was adding up and I felt like I had no options at personalizing my wedding to get what I wanted. When I first started looking at getting married in Mexico I looked at Dreams Rivieria and a few other resorts and to be honest with you Paradisus was the only resort that charged $1000 for every vendor. It's a huge cost to eat up as a bride. They are not good with negotiating there if I asked other wedding planners at other hotels they would come back to me and offer solutions or even cut some costs down but Paradisus would not. I cannot say enough good thing about the Grand Coral Beach club. I hired a wedding planner and changed my venue there. We had the private beach which was great for our wedding day and we had the reception at the Beach club after. It was beautiful there at night all of my guests raved how they never attended a wedding such as ours they loved the venue. It was so private and secluded and we had a wonderful time. How many guests are you planning on having? Our wedding was more small and intimate so it worked out nicely for us. We had the venue until 11 PM and it was great. We got a 3 course meal, cocktails and appetizers, dessert and 5 hours open bar. The chef is great to play around with the menu as well. The great thing about picking a place like this is that you have no rules. You get to personalize your wedding how you like. So picking a florist, DJ, cake etc it can all be done if you want and there is no outside vendor fees to do so. I did not want to use Blue Lens from Paradisus and because it was an extra $1000 to bring my own photographer in so I considered using them but when I got the pricing back from them the costs per packages were not worth the cost of getting a photographer I wanted for my wedding.

If you do book with Paradisus I would make sure I have everything in writing I am good with keeping my emails as a few times they would go back on something they already quoted me or promised me. Just be careful it's all about costs there to protect yourself just have everything in writing as a back up. It's hard to plan a wedding in Mexico and I don't usually take the time to come on here and write these messages but as a recent bride I REALLY want a bride to not go through the stress I did. I wish I had someone educate myself when I was planning mine. It's very stressful. If you want to see pictures of the Paradisus hotel let me know I did stay there for a week I just didn't get married there. I can email them to you.