Canadian Brides!!!!!!!!!

torilynnsmith

I agree with torilynnsmith!!!

It is the case with my photographer too. I booked pictures with her for our engagement photoshoot to see how they will turn out and they turned out great. Then I booked BD photoshoot with her and it was awesome experience, also I got some family pics with my mom taken by her. I love her work, but she is just beginning and might not know some stuff. But I will provide her with pics folder :D haha and I am sure we will have a great time and our pics will turn great.

Good Luck!!

Originally Posted by torilynnsmith View Post

The only thing that made we sort of wish we were getting married here!!!! How fun would it be to do a four weddings episode!! I would jsut love seeing other peoples visions come to life!!!

Alright, so I took a look at his website and here is my two cents.  You have to look past an "amateur-ish" website and focus on the images, his photos and editing seem AWESOME.  Yes, some pictures are more posed but you never know, maybe that bride wanted that look.  You can see he has an eye for details and I am sure if you shared your "inspiration picture file" (I am sure I am not the only one who has other photography images saved to show my photog what I like) he will totally get your style and be willing to work with it.  

What did you think of your engagement pictures?  Would $1500 be for a week vacation?  He will be paying for his wife but is she also a photographer/assistant?  Would you then be getting 2 photogs for the price of one?  If this is for a week will he be photographing all week long?  Maybe you can negotiate he do a rehearsal or welcome dinner as well as a few hours here and there during the trip of the group outside of the wedding day.  I personally think this is the largest benefit of bringing a photographer with you, you can get images from the ENTIRE week of you and your guests which make for great memories for everyone.  This may not be the case but definitely something I would be discussing with him.  $1500 is a great price for an aspiring photographer who has the right vision.  Everyone has to start somewhere and you could be the lucky bride to get in on the ground floor.

A friend of mine is getting married next summer and she just booked her photographer, an aspiring part-time photographer who has done a ton of shoots here and there but due to a full-time job does not have the time to market herself the same way a FT photog would.  They did an engagement shoot to see what they thought before booking.  She had over 400 images for them to choose from on a website that they could download print etc from.  They were ALL edited and FANTASTIC! For their engagement session it was $200 all in!  She is able to work within their wedding budget and they know they will have SO many images to choose from and they like her style.  This is just a great example of finding someone who is GREAT and their prices have yet to be inflated.  Take advantage of it if you can as long as you are comfortable with their work!

I am kicking myself for not booking our friends photog (she is actually a friend of mine's sister) based on the fact she didnt have a lot of work to look at.  We are very excited about our photographer but due to her experience and body of work we are paying the price for it.

Go with your gut, but my opinion is his work looks great!

(maybe a little more than 2 cents...oops!)

The thing with onsite photogs is that they charge you a fortune and you only get a limited # of pics. I think that for $1566, if he is giving you unlimited pics then even if they arent all to your taste you are more then likely going to get a lot more that you do like then if you hired an expensive onsite photog.

i'm bringing a friends brother in law. He is amazing but not typically a wedding photographer. I am paying his way and i get unlimited pics, a TTD and mini engagement shoot (since we never had one) plus im sure he will take other pics. I sent him a bunch of links to pics and styles i liked. My resort wanted to charge an arm and a leg and i would get about 50 pics BLAH so it was an easy decision for me and within my budget.

do your homework and compare what you would be getting from a photog in Jamaica versus what this person is offering you and weigh your options :)

good luck

Originally Posted by Krysta lee ann View Post

I am so confused on what to do about a photographer. I know i have probably brought this up before but i just dont know what to do..... i have a guy that did our engagement pics and said if we pay his way ($1566), he will pay his wifes and do the pics for free. he is just starting out and some of his pics are beauitful but some are corny... he just started a website www.kingstonphoto.ca. i dont know if i should bring him or try to find someone in jamaica.

ahhh what do i do ladies?!? pictures are so important to me and this is such a big choice. any advice would be helpful

Hi Krysta!! I checked out his website, and he has some really nice shots in there! Also, you can always have a rock the dress session in your hometown if your not completely satisfied with your pictures. I came across this photographer when I was looking for one myself. She is trying to expend her destination photography and is offering free wedding photography if you pay for her travels. Here's her website: http://www.monica-salazar.com/destination-weddings-promotion-destination-weddings-photographers-dallas-wedding-photographer-texas-fort-worth/

Hope this helps! 

I am so confused on what to do about a photographer. I know i have probably brought this up before but i just dont know what to do..... i have a guy that did our engagement pics and said if we pay his way ($1566), he will pay his wifes and do the pics for free. he is just starting out and some of his pics are beauitful but some are corny... he just started a website www.kingstonphoto.ca. i dont know if i should bring him or try to find someone in jamaica.

ahhh what do i do ladies?!? pictures are so important to me and this is such a big choice. any advice would be helpful

OMG ladies thank you sooooo much!! i really really appreciate all the advice.... sometimes it feels so overwhelming and i always appreciate the support for you guys!! Now just to email him and ask a few questions!!

Defintly make sure you feel comfortable with him and ask a ton of questions if thats what it takes!  I know we had a really hard time choosing a photographer as well . When we were first engaged my cousin suggested her friend but looking at her work and lack of experince we kinda ruled her out right away. .  At first we contacted a few different people that would  be in the area at the time but there were rates were way out of budget for us.  Then we thought just to risk it and use the resort photographer.  Well one look at another brides picture made that an offical not happening (there wasn't one straight horizon in the background)   Now that the summer is over we actually went back to my cousins friends and choose her as she was really focused on weddings during the summer and has some amazing shots now plus we only had to pay for her travel down which will be free for us YAY.  Anyways point of the story sometimes the newbies are the way to go if your on a budget.

Sorry ladies but I need to vent!!  I received a call from TA this afternoon and Sunquest has cancelled our flight to Mexico on April 20 without much explanation.  The flight was fully booked (I could understand if it wasn't) and all my guests have paid their deposits.  We were given two options: change to the week prior or get a complete refund and start all over again.  I have opted to leave a week earlier so now I'm waiting to hear back from the WC to see if my new date is available.  I'm so glad that I didn't have a bunch of stuff printed already with the old date.  At least they cancelled it early enough that it won't cause many problems and still gives everyone enough time to change their plans, but I'm still MAD!

OMG that is brutal!!! you must be going crazzzy!! I sure hope they are willing to do something special for you!

Originally Posted by janette34 View Post

Sorry ladies but I need to vent!!  I received a call from TA this afternoon and Sunquest has cancelled our flight to Mexico on April 20 without much explanation.  The flight was fully booked (I could understand if it wasn't) and all my guests have paid their deposits.  We were given two options: change to the week prior or get a complete refund and start all over again.  I have opted to leave a week earlier so now I'm waiting to hear back from the WC to see if my new date is available.  I'm so glad that I didn't have a bunch of stuff printed already with the old date.  At least they cancelled it early enough that it won't cause many problems and still gives everyone enough time to change their plans, but I'm still MAD!

So i email the photographer...this is what i wrote:

Hi Robert,

So i have a couple questions for you regarding doing our destination wedding. i know we had discussed if we pay for your trip that you would do the photos at no cost and that you would be willing to pay for your wife to also come. is this still the case? i think i remember you mentioning (but could be wrong) that your wife is a photographer as well, am i right?

if this is the case are you willing to take pictures on more than just the wedding day? i also really want to do a trash the dress session (i am still undecided if we do it on the resort or at a water fall or in the city) and was hoping to maybe get a few pic throughout the week.

what do you think?

Krysta

And this was his response:

Hi,

Yes of course I would, I would say we could the wedding day complete, a trash the dress shoot (one afternoon), a couples shoot informal(another afternoon) and yes my wife can do candid shots during the wedding while I will be more focused, and also I have underwater capable equipment so we could do a snorkling / underwater themed shoot as well, and incorperate into the trash the dress shoot

I think i should just pull the trigger......ahhh so nervous!

Jump on this, NOW!!!  This is amazing and the fact he can do underwater shots is fab. 

So i email the photographer...this is what i wrote:

Hi Robert,So i have a couple questions for you regarding doing our destination wedding. i know we had discussed if we pay for your trip that you would do the photos at no cost and that you would be willing to pay for your wife to also come. is this still the case? i think i remember you mentioning (but could be wrong) that your wife is a photographer as well, am i right?if this is the case are you willing to take pictures on more than just the wedding day? i also really want to do a trash the dress session (i am still undecided if we do it on the resort or at a water fall or in the city) and was hoping to maybe get a few pic throughout the week.what do you think?Krysta

And this was his response:

Hi,

Yes of course I would, I would say we could the wedding day complete, a trash the dress shoot (one afternoon), a couples shoot informal(another afternoon) and yes my wife can do candid shots during the wedding while I will be more focused, and also I have underwater capable equipment so we could do a snorkling / underwater themed shoot as well, and incorperate into the trash the dress shoot

I think i should just pull the trigger......ahhh so nervous!