Canadian Brides!!!!!!!!!

torilynnsmith

Hi Tori,

Regarding the dresses...I wanted to double check to see if you could order on the elan international site as I thought it looked like you needed to be a buyer or business owner and unfortunately you do. But...don't fret...I searched and you can find and buy elan international dresses etc on the Made American Style site. I put in an order without completing it...prices are really reasonable! The same convertible dress or almost the same that I bought for 72$ including tax is 40$US + 17.88 shipping and handling for Canadian insured mail..so still less then what I paid.

I did check out the Canadian designer dresses, really nice too...sadly 128$...local is usually more pricey. Anyhow, you have some options but the best would be if you could find a store that carries them. Victoria Secret has them too and I think if you spend so much, and you need to return something...it may be covered....I think my girlfriend had to do that...

http://www.madeamericanstyle.com/women-apparel/dresses.html

Take Care,

Ann-Marit

Originally Posted by hatfiehm View Post

Tori, you are so active on here and I love it!  I am also doing real touch DIY bouquets so maybe we can share tips.  One question about your centerpeices, are you worried about the wind pulling over the tall grasses?  I have heard the wind can be an issue and to avoid real candles.  Although if your reception area is covered maybe its a non issue!  just something to ponder!

Holly

Yup, mine are still stinking up the house and its been about 3 weeks.  I layed them outside for a day and that helped a lot but I can still smell them when I open the closet.

Originally Posted by torilynnsmith View Post

I got my at Winner/Homesense as well.  They are HUGE for the mesh bag of 10 was only $14.99 like Janette said.... they are fake starfish as well which I really like because I didn't want a creature to die for my decorating but like luvmoo mentioned... very hard to find "fakes"

I did find these Smelt a little bit so we have been airing them out and that seems to help... Janette did you find this?

I found my shell pomanders (shell balls) and the starfish in a few different places like MJKH mentioned.  The starfish were at winners in the back in the "decor" section.  They had them on the table display but could also be found in the "knick knack" aisle... with all the random table decor etc.  At home sense I fund you have to walk every one of those "knick knack" aisles, I found them hanging on a hook at one of the ends.  I wasn't sure about the starfish at first... how I would incorporate them so didn't but they at winners... my mom ended up buying them at homesense.

Originally Posted by MJKH View Post

At Homesense, I would look in two places for sure...the area where they have candles and potpourri I've often seen bags of driftwood and shells...but they're often scented.  The other area is the place where they have dried grasses/fake silk greens and arrangements, etc...I've seen sometimes they have bags of shells, balls covered in shells or other nature-y treatments (to put on display in a bowl?) in metal tubs in that area.  Any other ideas?

Welcome!!!! We are so glad you found us!!!!!! We started to consume the "canadian OOT" thread so we figured it would be a good idea to have a "Canadian" outlet for our chit chat and support!!!!  I am on here a lot... I need an OOT bag and BDW intervention, though those are basically intertwined.... some might find it annoying but it has made this planning SO fun!!!!!   The grasses are really really light but are right to the bottom of the vase and then secured by about 4 inches of sand and then sea shells so I think I should be ok.  I never considered it to be honest.  We are in an open air restaurant but it is covered and in the evening they drop all the curtains so I think we should be fine.  I hope at least!!!!!! I definitely agree about the real candle thing.  I LOVE the battery operated tea lights and homesense even has battery operated pillars that are SCENTED!!!! So you can have your vanilla candle and not worry about it blowing out, catching fire or forgetting you lit it!!!!! I am using sheppards hooks to line our aisle but I am thinking of using them at the reception spot as well with lanterns and using battery operated tea lights in them... they even flicker!!! Ahhhh I love the new inventions!!!

Tori, you are so active on here and I love it!  I am also doing real touch DIY bouquets so maybe we can share tips.  One question about your centerpeices, are you worried about the wind pulling over the tall grasses?  I have heard the wind can be an issue and to avoid real candles.  Although if your reception area is covered maybe its a non issue!  just something to ponder!

Holly

Thanks Ann-Marit!!!!!!  Unfortunately they don't have navy :(  Not sure if I mentioned before but I actually made a convertible dress!!!! It is SO SO easy, if you have a sewing machine I highly recommend trying it! Anyways, I made one and ended up thinking maybe we wouldnt go the convertible route and now I am thinking I may go back to do the convertible... I just don't want it to be too casual but I think they will be comfy for the girls!!!  I can't justify the high price tag of the ones on etsy and online (in my colour) since I could make mine for about $20 $25 MAX!

Originally Posted by amjohnson View Post

Hi Tori,

I got the dress at a store called Sublime in St.Albert, just outside of Edmonton but I have posted the link below. A swimwear shop near you may also carry them. I haven't tried to register on the site yet, but I am hoping I can order online. They have lots of really nice dresses that would be great for a hot destination. Here is the link. The dress I got is under convertibles and is SL5000. Victoria Secret also carries a dress identical to the other dress on the site, the red one. I have that one and love it too!

https://www.elan-usa.com/#/c-womens-convertibles/

I saw the Henkaa store the other day, but they are pricier aren't they?  What was the cost if you don't mind sharing?!

Oops. iPad mistype !!
There is a designer here in Toronto called Henkaa. Www.Henkaa.ca
We chose these in Royal blue for the bridesmaids and I even bought one in slate to wear to my brothers wedding!

Thanks!!!!

Originally Posted by amjohnson View Post

Hi Tori,

Regarding the dresses...I wanted to double check to see if you could order on the elan international site as I thought it looked like you needed to be a buyer or business owner and unfortunately you do. But...don't fret...I searched and you can find and buy elan international dresses etc on the Made American Style site. I put in an order without completing it...prices are really reasonable! The same convertible dress or almost the same that I bought for 72$ including tax is 40$US + 17.88 shipping and handling for Canadian insured mail..so still less then what I paid.

I did check out the Canadian designer dresses, really nice too...sadly 128$...local is usually more pricey. Anyhow, you have some options but the best would be if you could find a store that carries them. Victoria Secret has them too and I think if you spend so much, and you need to return something...it may be covered....I think my girlfriend had to do that...

http://www.madeamericanstyle.com/women-apparel/dresses.html

Take Care,

Ann-Marit

Ok! Good to know, my mom picked these up and I was over for dinner and they were on the chair not far from me and I couldn't figure it out... I kept smelling a urine smell (do yours smell like pee?!) I thought it was my centrepiece as I had brought it to show her... no.... I FINALLY figured it out and then thought maybe the CAT had peed on them but they ALL smelt!!! I told mom I don't want them in my suitcase as everything will smell bad so we are going to air them out! Thanks for the tip about putting them outside! I will try that!!

Originally Posted by janette34 View Post

Yup, mine are still stinking up the house and its been about 3 weeks.  I layed them outside for a day and that helped a lot but I can still smell them when I open the closet.

@ Tori, if you are still considering buying convertible dresses instead of making them, you need to sign up for beyond the rack. I originally bought the victoria secret convertible dresses and personally liked it, but my little sister (who isn't that little at 5'10") found it a little too short. I;ve been a member of beyond the rack since the end of June and the "original" convertible dress company, Ravon, has had them for sale at least twice since then. Not sure if you know how BTR works, but different sales start daily at 11 and last 1-3 days. They make the dress in a ton of colours. I think they had navy. I know they had a different shade of blue from the colour I ordered - cobalt. Shipping is from Montreal and is cheap, around 15 bucks I think. I got the dresses for $59 each. I was sent an invite to join BTR but you may be able to google it and join. If not, PM me and I will send you an invite.

I wrote to Dreams Tulum and Riviera Cancun to see if they have one of my dates.. and Tulum got back with a yes... I'll wait for the Riviera Cancun and I think we'll go with them... I love the resort... and people have a little more than a year to save money so...

Hi Manda,

I joined Beyond the Rack today...great suggestion! I have a friend getting married in St.Lucia and she told me about the site because of the dress sales.

Tori, it lists upcoming events and tomorrow I think they are having a dress sale!!!

Originally Posted by Manda123 View Post

@ Tori, if you are still considering buying convertible dresses instead of making them, you need to sign up for beyond the rack. I originally bought the victoria secret convertible dresses and personally liked it, but my little sister (who isn't that little at 5'10") found it a little too short. I;ve been a member of beyond the rack since the end of June and the "original" convertible dress company, Ravon, has had them for sale at least twice since then. Not sure if you know how BTR works, but different sales start daily at 11 and last 1-3 days. They make the dress in a ton of colours. I think they had navy. I know they had a different shade of blue from the colour I ordered - cobalt. Shipping is from Montreal and is cheap, around 15 bucks I think. I got the dresses for $59 each. I was sent an invite to join BTR but you may be able to google it and join. If not, PM me and I will send you an invite.

Here are two more great sites that offer daily deals www.hautelook.com and www.modnique.com both offer shipping to Canada.  Haute Look has some really nice Sue Wong dresses on now.

Originally Posted by Manda123 View Post

that dress is gorgeous! I am also thinking about a reception dress....but lately I have been thinking about getting a tea length wedding dress and go for a more retro or vintage look... so maybe I wont need a dress to change into. :)

Originally Posted by celticgirl View Post

I am from North Bay, my mom is from Brampton, and my FI mom is from Brighton (Near Trenton) so we are kind of spread out all over if need be lol. I was going to do something like this as my reception dress:

reception.jpg

Tori:  The Henkaa dresses are 129-149 I think? depending on the sixe and length you choose.  I originally wanted the 2birds dresses, but they are over $300 each!! I went with the Henkaa ones because they are local here in toronto and we could go and try them on at the studio, and I fell in love with the drape of the material.  Its almost a mettallic jersey, hard to explain but it feels like butter when your are wearing it :)

I know there are tonnes of Etsy sellers that make them as well if you are looking for a lower price point!  Just not sure which materials they use.

Also, thanks for the tip about the scented candle holders at Homesense, I might check that out!  I am going to design some luminaries to go over battery operated tealights so I will post when I have done those.  I have a looooong list.  Today I am working on completing luggage tags!IMG_3366.JPG

IMG_3367.JPG