Canadian Brides!!!!!!!!!

torilynnsmith

Hello fellow Canadian Brides!!!

My FI and I have decided on Mexico for our DW.  I would love to have our wedding at the RIU in the Mayan Riviera, but it seems that most Canadian carriers do not offer packages there.  Any Canadian brides for the RIU on the Mayan Riviera?  Did you book flight and hotel separately or go with a provider?  If so, which one?

Thanks!

Dina

Has anyone here bought anything from a US-based bride and had trouble receiving the delivery?

I contacted a past bride on BDW who was selling some decor items and arranged to buy them. She's just told me that she can't ship to Canada. I think the shipping manifesto requires her to indicate country of origin for the items, and since she actually knew they were made in China, wrote that on the form, and now the US won't ship the package to Canada.

I suggested she just say they were made in the US...basically just not admit she knows that much about them. (I don't know about you but I couldn't tell you where any of the decor I've purchased is from!)

Thoughts?

Originally Posted by Sjay View Post

Has anyone here bought anything from a US-based bride and had trouble receiving the delivery?

I contacted a past bride on BDW who was selling some decor items and arranged to buy them. She's just told me that she can't ship to Canada. I think the shipping manifesto requires her to indicate country of origin for the items, and since she actually knew they were made in China, wrote that on the form, and now the US won't ship the package to Canada.

I suggested she just say they were made in the US...basically just not admit she knows that much about them. (I don't know about you but I couldn't tell you where any of the decor I've purchased is from!)

Thoughts?

Hmmm thats interesting. I would think as long as she originally bought them in the us then the country of origin would be the US as they had already gone through us customs..

Originally Posted by Dazeydawl View Post

Hmmm thats interesting. I would think as long as she originally bought them in the us then the country of origin would be the US as they had already gone through us customs..

Originally Posted by justine416 View Post

I've bought stuff from US brides from here and had no problem. I think she should do what you suggested.

Good luck!

Thanks ladies. Cross your fingers for me!

Originally Posted by erin2100 View Post

Question about the off white shirt topic... This was something I never thought of and go figure, my dress is ivory and the guys shirts are stark white. Has anyone considered dyeing the shirts? I am thinking that may be the way to go since they already bought their shirts and it was hard to please them to begin with... Thoughts?

Originally Posted by Sjay View Post

I went into RW&Co and found the shirt, but unfortunately it's not really off-white. It looked ivory on the table but when I took it into the light, saw it was a white, but a warm white (vs a bright white which is blue-based). Store lighting can be tricky - you have to check colours carefully and ideally in natural light if possible. Thanks again for the suggestion though!

my dress was ivory and the men's shirts were white and it didnt look bad at all in the pictures

Originally Posted by DinaQtobe View Post

Hello fellow Canadian Brides!!!

My FI and I have decided on Mexico for our DW.  I would love to have our wedding at the RIU in the Mayan Riviera, but it seems that most Canadian carriers do not offer packages there.  Any Canadian brides for the RIU on the Mayan Riviera?  Did you book flight and hotel separately or go with a provider?  If so, which one?

Thanks!

Dina

Hi Dina, we had a group of 12 stay at the ClubHotel Riu Tequila (Myan Riviera) back in Feb 2011 (where my FI purposed). I think we used 'Apple Vacations' and flew out of Detroit because it was just as close as Toronto but cheaper. If you want to fly out of Canada, I believe it is 'Signature vacations' that does most of the Riu Resorts. The resort we stayed at was not directly on the beach, it was about a 5-8 minute walk, i would suggest staying at one of the sister RIU resort that are located directly on the beach, i'm sorry, i don't remember the names of them. The  nice thing about Riu though, is that you can eat at, use the pools, beaches and bars of any of the neighbouring sister resorts! If you have any questions let me know, I'll do my best to help :)

Originally Posted by philanab View Post

Hi Dina, we had a group of 12 stay at the ClubHotel Riu Tequila (Myan Riviera) back in Feb 2011 (where my FI purposed). I think we used 'Apple Vacations' and flew out of Detroit because it was just as close as Toronto but cheaper. If you want to fly out of Canada, I believe it is 'Signature vacations' that does most of the Riu Resorts. The resort we stayed at was not directly on the beach, it was about a 5-8 minute walk, i would suggest staying at one of the sister RIU resort that are located directly on the beach, i'm sorry, i don't remember the names of them. The  nice thing about Riu though, is that you can eat at, use the pools, beaches and bars of any of the neighbouring sister resorts! If you have any questions let me know, I'll do my best to help :)

Thank you so much for your advice.  I haven't heard very good things about Signature Vacations... I was honestly hoping to stick with Air Canada, Westjet, or Transat....

I don't know if Detroit is much of an option for us since many of the guests are from all across Ontario (including northern Ontario...). 

Hoping to find a travel agent soon. 

I see you are from London also!  Did you use a travel agent locally?  Any recommendations? 

Thanks!

Originally Posted by DinaQtobe View Post

Thank you so much for your advice.  I haven't heard very good things about Signature Vacations... I was honestly hoping to stick with Air Canada, Westjet, or Transat....

I don't know if Detroit is much of an option for us since many of the guests are from all across Ontario (including northern Ontario...). 

Hoping to find a travel agent soon. 

I see you are from London also!  Did you use a travel agent locally?  Any recommendations? 

Thanks!

The travel agent I'm working with currently is from the Sarnia area, he has booked vacations for me in the past. Prices are rediculous right now and i'm really staring to feel the heat to book because I have now < 5 months until my wedding. Most of our guests are from Michigan, Sarnia and London, with the exception of a handful of people from the GTA, so it makes sense for us to depart from Detroit again.

If you have guests from all over Ontario you may be better off contacting RIU directly to see if you can get a group rate on a block of rooms, and then have each guest book thier own flight or book flights through a TA.