Any 2013 Brides Out There?!!!!

Yay! A 2013 thread! 

I am definitely researching and planning! We are looking at July 2013, and have kind of fallen in love with Gran Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado (if you have not heard of it, look it up - it is incredible!). Of course, very few brides here have gotten married there, which makes the research more difficult, but I do like that it is not something everyone has done... plus, it is on its own private island.... how can you beat that?!?!

Okay, so right off the bat, I have a question. I am trying to research travel agents, and I have no idea where to start. We do want to get one, though we usually book vacations online, just to deal with the hotel and bookings of family and such. Does anyone have ANY idea where to begin researching, and how to go about it? I do not even know what types of questions to ask when I am emailing these potential travel agents (except to make sure they have plenty of experience with destination weddings). I am comfortable with only conversing with her online, or maybe by phone, so location is not a problem. Any ideas on how to go about this? Any help would be so greatly appreciated!

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS - Also, I love seeing the other teachers on here getting a head start... I am very DIY, as well as a teacher, so I had the same logic; if I do not do everything I can during summers, I will get no marking or planning done for the next 10 months! Hahaha! (Plus, it is such a great way to save money!)

Hi Peach,

I am using a travel agent through Sears Travel.  She is my mothers travel agent that she uses all the time and I know she has always been very good to her so I figured why not lol plus im not sure where you are located but if you have Sears there your guests can put the trip on their Sears card.

Regardless on where you look for an agent my advice would be to start off asking at least 3 different agents questions.  You will want to know if they honor price matching ( if someone finds a cheaper price will they match it plus a group discount) and anything else they will do for you by you choosing them.  Ask if there is a guaranteed price drop - most agencies honor at least onee price drop. 

Every agency is different.  But in the end I think you will find if one agent gives you a better price then another they will ALL price match eachother for your business so the obvious  thing to do would be to go with whichever agent has the quickest responses, was the most helpful and was honestly looking to help you out the most.  You may find smaller companys work hardest.  One thing I personally Always do when booking a trip is look online myself for pricing and if i find it cheaper then the agents i inform them and they will get that price..  while checking yourself try a few airlines as prices always vary...  Example:  last quote I got my agent was using Sunwing and I found the same trip $100 cheaper with westjet..  but she was willing to go westjet and get me the same price PLUS a group discount  & price drop :)

But this is just my opinion!  :)

Hope it is helpful

Jen

Here is a question for all you 2013 brides: What are the first things that you did? I want to do what I can in advance; I already made Will You Be My BM cards and sent/gave them out. I set up a starting budget, and organized lists of DIY projects (I am a crazy list person). I have researched ideas, and even been in contact with travel agents and photographers (and am close to deciding on both). Is there really anything else that I CAN be doing this early? We already have our hearts set on a resort too, and emailed them, though I have not yet heard back. Should I just be starting DIY stuff? Or should I be doing something else with the travel agent? Any ideas?

By the way, thank you SO much for the help with this!

Originally Posted by bride2b2013 View Post

Hi Peach,

I am using a travel agent through Sears Travel.  She is my mothers travel agent that she uses all the time and I know she has always been very good to her so I figured why not lol plus im not sure where you are located but if you have Sears there your guests can put the trip on their Sears card.

Regardless on where you look for an agent my advice would be to start off asking at least 3 different agents questions.  You will want to know if they honor price matching ( if someone finds a cheaper price will they match it plus a group discount) and anything else they will do for you by you choosing them.  Ask if there is a guaranteed price drop - most agencies honor at least onee price drop. 

Every agency is different.  But in the end I think you will find if one agent gives you a better price then another they will ALL price match eachother for your business so the obvious  thing to do would be to go with whichever agent has the quickest responses, was the most helpful and was honestly looking to help you out the most.  You may find smaller companys work hardest.  One thing I personally Always do when booking a trip is look online myself for pricing and if i find it cheaper then the agents i inform them and they will get that price..  while checking yourself try a few airlines as prices always vary...  Example:  last quote I got my agent was using Sunwing and I found the same trip $100 cheaper with westjet..  but she was willing to go westjet and get me the same price PLUS a group discount  & price drop :)

But this is just my opinion!  :)

Hope it is helpful

Jen

We want to do this for sure!  I think it would be such a nice way to thank out guests!  I would really like to do a sunset cruise but it looks like this may only allow adults so the children in the group will have to sit this activity out.  But I still think it would be a nice way for all the adults to spend some time together before or after the ceremony!  I also want to do some sort of more active group activity like ziplining or something, but we'll have to see how much we can fit in to the schedule. :)

Originally Posted by Emily11386 View Post

Is anyone else thinking of renting out a catamaran for a group excursion?  I've read that other brides have done this and we were thinking it might be a nice way to thank our guests.

I really like your fans. Maybe I will start a layout for them too. I am so impressed by how much you have done! And it all looks so great! I love checking out your blog; thank you for sharing it with us.

Originally Posted by kkimi88 View Post

I've looked into checking extra luggage at the airport and it seems to only be about £30 extra for a bag weighing the same as your regular luggage is entitled. This seems really reasonable to me, and given how much closer a lot of you US ladies are, it should be even cheaper! I did stumble across this website, which may or may not be useful to you guys? http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog/3801089/airline-baggage-fees-chart-updated/ It's a list of different US flight companies and their charges for extra bags. Hope it helps someone (being in the UK I haven't checked how accurate it is, so don't quote me on it! Just thought it may come in handy :))

Haha, bride2be, 'on board' might be a slight exaggeration, but he is very good at humouring me, and even suggested we go and look for his wedding band today :). I love that your date is 1-23, that's perfect! I can see why you're getting attached! Not sure why I like mine but it would be nice now if we could get it... it all depends on when we can get a cheap deal on flights and accommodation really. It will be so nice if you do get your preliminary date, given you'd have so many great things to celebrate! Fab. 

I have got a lot done, but you have to remember that I'm not currently working (I'm a teacher on summer holiday!), so I really have been able to throw myself into it 100%, ideally I'd like to have pretty much everything finished by the end of next summer so I don't have to worry about anything on the run up. I have a blog here: http://prematureplanner.blogspot.com/ detailing my different projects/what we want for the ceremony/ reception and the proposal. Thought it would be nice to have a record kept of my planning, but feel free to have a look :). You should definitely post your passes- I'd love to see them!

Re: the catamaran trip- depending on how the budget looks/interest we're either going to either do this or just organise a day trip with Seavis and let everyone else know when we're going so that they can book too if they want to. 

Happy Planning ladies! 

x

• 3 weeks later...

There was a bridal show in town today I went to check out; won a picture frame, but other than that it pretty much did not apply to me (which I expected anyway). Very cool to see though, and of course loved the fashion show. 

I also picked up some stuff at Michaels yesterday; their dollar bins were 3 for $1, which was cool because they had little summer-y things, so I picked up some stuff for the moms and bridal party girls bags.... pens, notebooks, lip gloss, that kind of thing. There are some monogrammed stuff, but they were out of my 'future' letter, so ah well.

Also used 2 50% off coupons for some netting for our invites (message in a bottle style) and crushed shells.

In case you were wondering, I noticed quite a few bridal things are on 30% off too.

So I had a great wedding-stuff weekend!