Should we get legally married before, in or after Cancun? (Ontario, Canada)

I've been seeing a lot of people bouncing this idea around. What are the advantages and disadvantages of getting married here in Ontario, Canada vs in Cancun, Mexico?  And for those of you who decided to get legally married here, did you do it before or after?  Why?

I heard people doing it before but others choose after because of some issue with passports etc.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We aren't getting married in Cancun, but we are legally getting married in Jamaica.  I always wanted the day I said my vows on the beach in front of family and friends to be my legal wedding.  We had thought about getting legally married in Canada before going to Jamaica as it would probably be easier.  That being said its pretty easy to legally get married in Jamaica compared to in Cancun.  I guess it just depends on what you are comfortable with.  We also had some people say they wouldn't come to Jamaica if it wasn't our 'real' wedding so we just decided to do it legally there. 

In regards to passports you will be find if you are married in Canada first as long as you don't change your name until after you return from Cancun.

Originally Posted by mrsbruff2b View Post

I've been seeing a lot of people bouncing this idea around. What are the advantages and disadvantages of getting married here in Ontario, Canada vs in Cancun, Mexico?  And for those of you who decided to get legally married here, did you do it before or after?  Why?

I heard people doing it before but others choose after because of some issue with passports etc.

Hi,

I'm from Montreal, Canada and thinking about a DW but found the translation of legal papers a little too complicated for me... and $$$ also...

I tought about getting legally married in Montreal no vows nothing, in jeans :) And when I found this incredible site, well I realised it's what couples usually do :)

• 2 weeks later...

We personally plan on getting married in a courthouse before I leave for Cancun.  We plan on doing it secretly and only bringing my grandmother since she is too old to travel and it can be our little secret!  It'll help her feel included.  My reasoning for it is that I don't want to waste any time when I get there.  I should be enjoying my trip and relaxing, not giving blood and filling out paperwork for an additional $300!!  

Cancun has a two day residency requirement that they are very strict about and I don't want to take any chances either.  I know people that have taken this route and said that it didn't take away from the wedding excitement at all.  

Hey ladies!  We're also doing our legal wedding beforehand.  I didn't want the extra stress of the paperwork and blood tests, also we're saving money and by doing a symbolic wedding in Mexico we can actually write the entire wedding ceremony ourselves (I've heard of other brides not liking what the officient said, i.e. "honor and obey").  I don't think you would have any trouble with the passport if you save the name changing until after the wedding.  From my understanding (at least in Canada) the bride/groom doesn't need to change or assume a new name straight after the wedding. We plan to make it legal beforehand, do it again in Mexico ;-) and then deal with the name change paperwork when we're back at home.  Hope that helps.

We're having a symbolic ceremony in Mexico and then when we come back to Montreal we'll have a very informal legal wedding at my finance's grandmother's residence in the presence of the  members of our family who cannot travel.

Why after? I want the wedding in Mexico to feel like the real thing. If I've already said my vows, and am already married, I fear the DW won't feel as special.

Also we're only letting the people who are in the wedding know that it is not a legal ceremony in Mexico. Again, so that it feels special for everyone.

Originally Posted by mrsbruff2b View Post

First of all, a marriage is legal worldwide no matter which country you get married in. As long as it is a civil marriage registered with the government in the country where it is performed.

We chose to get legally married in Mexico because we didn't have time to do it before hand, and I didn't want just a symbolic wedding. I figured if we had that much trouble once we returned, we could reaffirm our vows in Canada.

So now that we are complete with the whole process here's my opinion. Before we left, we had to order the long form versions of our birth certificates, which cost about $30 each. When we were in Mexico, we had to have blood taken at our resort. For a civil ceremony in Mexico, we paid $300, this included translating all our documents to Spanish and the blood tests. We also requested additional copies of our marriage certificate for $14.

When we returned, I tried to assume my husband's name with our marriage certificate, but was told to have it translated by a certified translator. It cost 20 cents per word, or roughly $60. If you want the contact info for our translator, please PM. I scanned the originals and sent them to her via email. Within a week, I received 2 certified originals of the translation.

So cost wise, getting legally married in Mexico and being able to assume my husband's name cost us $420.

I'm glad we did it legally in Mexico.

There seem to be a lot of Canadian brides here.  On the Service Ontario website it says: 

"A marriage licence is valid only in Ontario for three months from the date of issue. If the marriage licence is not used in a wedding ceremony within this time period, it expires."

So what if I plan on doing a symbolic ceremony in Cancun and get married when we return?  Can we apply and register on the same date?  

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

First of all, this is an excellent thread for Canadian brides-to-be, so thank you so much for posting and to all of those who have replied!! :) Us Newbies really do appreciate every word!

My FI and I are hoping to do a legal ceremony in Mexico, (although are not OPPOSED to doing it before hand in Canada - and LOVE the idea of including the individuals who would be unable to travel, great idea Kaye33) but what is VERY important to us is that our legal ceremony be conducted in English.  mochamakes3, was this the case for you? I have read a lot about legal ceremonies being performed in Spanish with a translator present.....and if this is a requirement, then we would rather be married in Canada first (hush, hush) and then have a symbolic ceremony at the resort.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!! :)

As always, thanks ladies!!

Kat

xo.

Originally Posted by mochamakes3 View Post

First of all, a marriage is legal worldwide no matter which country you get married in. As long as it is a civil marriage registered with the government in the country where it is performed.

We chose to get legally married in Mexico because we didn't have time to do it before hand, and I didn't want just a symbolic wedding. I figured if we had that much trouble once we returned, we could reaffirm our vows in Canada.

So now that we are complete with the whole process here's my opinion. Before we left, we had to order the long form versions of our birth certificates, which cost about $30 each. When we were in Mexico, we had to have blood taken at our resort. For a civil ceremony in Mexico, we paid $300, this included translating all our documents to Spanish and the blood tests. We also requested additional copies of our marriage certificate for $14.

When we returned, I tried to assume my husband's name with our marriage certificate, but was told to have it translated by a certified translator. It cost 20 cents per word, or roughly $60. If you want the contact info for our translator, please PM. I scanned the originals and sent them to her via email. Within a week, I received 2 certified originals of the translation.

So cost wise, getting legally married in Mexico and being able to assume my husband's name cost us $420.

I'm glad we did it legally in Mexico.