Photo

Mexico vs DR - pros and cons?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fmsmith

fmsmith
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:30 PM

Hey ladies- just wondering what the pros and cons of getting married in the DR are compared to Mexico (RM, PDC)? I was stuck on Mexico but now I'm thinking maybe the DR? Thoughts are greatly appreciated!! 

#2 philanab

philanab
    • 178 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:11 PM

I've been to Mexico few times and thought I'd like to get married there. Los Cabos has a great background for pictures on the beach. My FI wants to get married in DR although neither of us has been there, his mother attended a wedding just a few months ago and had nothing but good things to say. The Riu Palace Punta Cana has a cute little white gazebo my FI is in love with. We plan on taking our winter trip this year to Punta Cana so we can check it out.

#3 GreekFood

GreekFood
      • 165 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:34 PM

I've been to Riviera Maya and the DR. Hands down, I suggest the DR. I was really turned off in Mexico by all of the people trying to get you to buy a timeshare at the airport, at the hotel, on the street, etc. We were even tricked at check-in at our hotel into a presentation, they told us they would take us on a tour of the grounds, which ended in a hard-pressure sell. The sales lady actually told me that if I didn't buy the timeshare, I would have an unhappy marriage. That was 100% the wrong approach to take with me! The hotel was Sandos Playacar in case you are considering it. It was a gorgeous hotel, but there were a number of things there that I didn't like, like a VIP beach area with guards. I don't think you should have to pay extra at your hotel to sit on a different part of a beach! Especially when it's all-inclusive and we'd already dropped 3K for the vacation.

On the other hand, I've found the Dominicans to be kind and friendly without fail. I have never felt like I was being looked at as un ugly American in the DR, but I felt that in Mexico, I was a target.

Just my opinion.

Punta Cana, DR 01.16.2012

61 booked and counting!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users