• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 royalbride610

royalbride610
  • 172 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:06 PM

WEDDING DETAILS

Wedding Date / Time – June 10, 2011 1:00pm

Wedding Coordinators – Andrea Rodriguez, Paty Ulla (onsite)

Wedding Package - Complimentary with Presidential Suite

Gazebo – Pelicano's Beach

Planning:

IMG_0870.JPG

IMG_0872.JPG

IMG_0874.JPG

IMG_0871.JPG

IMG_0887.JPG

Spa: D

We did the Romance Ritual package which included a couple's 50 minute massage, in-suite jacuzzi experience, a moon bath, champagne, and jumbo strawberries (that we never received).  The massages were not of good quality at all.  I get massages on a regular basis at home and the massage I received just was not relaxing.  It was also very uncomfortable for my husband because the guy who did his massage had also been one of the entertainers at the lobby night show the previous night.  I really felt that it was $280 gone down the drain.

Restaurants:

Maria Marie: A

Excellent restaurant!  We had the chicken and fried rice, steak and shrimp fried rice and the tempura ice cream.  All the spring rolls with strawberry sauce were awesome.  It was all delicious.

IMG_1022.JPGIMG_1024.JPG

Pelicano's: A-

Pelicano's was pretty good.  We pretty much ate the same things here.  The potato wedges were always good.  The shredded beef taco's made my queasy after eating them, but I don't usually eat shredded beef either...

Spice: A

Loved it!  We had steak and shrimp for lunch on most days and they always cooked it however we wanted.  We also had burgers sometimes, it depended on the cook.  They are not very raw/cooked food conscious and would touch raw food then touch cooked food, and I didn't see much hand washing or utensil washing.  I'm a super clean person about food, so I wouldn't eat if I didn't see the cook using safe cooking practices.

Tapas:

We didn't eat here because the menu was extremely small.

Asiana: A+++

Loved it! The grand marnier suffle desert was the best!

IMG_1123.JPG

Chef's Plate:

Didn't eat here either because you can never find out whats being cooked beforehand.  I didn't want to waste my time.

Coffee House: C

The pastries were usually dry and cold.

24 Hour Lounge: B

The food was hit or miss.  Sometimes it was hot and fresh, sometimes not.  We did eat the nachos' with beef and cheese and if was awesome.  Everything else was usually not hot or not appetizing.

Gran Caribe: C

We went over to the Gran Caribe to have lunch one day but did not like it at all.  The lobby there was always extremely crowded and uncomfortably hot.  We wanted to go eat at the new restaurant the Sunset Grill but it was closed.  It would have been helpful if the staff at the Royal knew when the restaurants would be closed but we just went somewhere else but they didn't have any food that we liked, NONE.  In my honest opinion, the food at the Royal was much better.

Room Service: A

Room service was really good.  We ordered breakfast a few times (fruit, hashbrowns, american omelette's, waffles) if was really good.  We only had the burgers, fries, and club sandwich during other hours, and we got the cheesecake.  They will custom make something if they have it.  My husband wanted a chicken club sandwich and they made it and he liked it.

IMG_1053.JPG

Wedding day breakfast (buffalo cheese omelettes, hashbrowns, fruit, waffles, orange and pineapple juice, and a breadbasket) We didn't eat it all, but we knew it'd be a long day so we tried!

Nightly Entertainment: C

We watched the shows on most nights that we were there and they were nice.  We watched the Mexican show & the Caribbean show and some others that I cannot remember the name of.  What I didn't like, that I found out later, was that one of the male's dancing was also a "massage therapist" in the Spa.  Jack of all trades I guess… :/

Pool:  A

The pool was always a cool temperature, it was never freezing cold.  There was the side where they played volleyball but it was never too loud that I couldn't enjoy myself.  I did see an issue with people who wanted the blue floating things, people would come to the pool early and put them next to or under their chair with towels so nobody would take them.  And there were only a few so many people didn't get to use them.  A woman offered to let us use the one under her chair but the sun was beaming and I wasn't trying to tan anymore...

Beach: B-

The beach was just okay.  It is rocky when you go more towards the ocean and there's only one area where there's an even slope, you have to be very careful when walking to the shoreline because there's a large dip in the sand. 

Wedding Day: Overall A

Overall, my wedding couldn't have been better because I married the love of my life.  There were a few mishaps but nothing that could have taken me out of the element of excitement.

Flowers: A+++

We used the resorts florist and our flowers were perfect, exactly what I asked for! 

019.png

Ceremony Location: A

We used the beach location by Pelicano's.  Perfect!  It was very secluded!  Initially I wanted the gazebo, but because of advice I read on bestdestinationwedding.com, I thought about the lighting issue and looked at other pictures, and I'm glad I went with the beach.  I did walk past a bunch of people, who just shouted congratulations and watched, but nobody was around the actual ceremony.  The music played loud enough to be heard from where I walked and there were no issues.  It was very hot that day!

012.png

Coordinator: D (Paty Ulla)

I probably would give her an F is she (Paty Ulla) hadn't helped me get into my dress (which she actually didn't do correctly) but I will give her a small amount of credit.  She never contacted me prior to my arrival, which I was told was supposed to be when I paid my final payment 2 months before arriving.  She did make sure to get the flower picture I gave her to the florist. She is also the manager and wasn't very friendly and didn't seem to want to work outside the office.  My photographer gave me a lot of info about her and how she is which was very negative but very true.  I wouldn't have worked with her if it was my choice.

She was also very unprofessional.  I'd already discussed with her the times my photographer would be at the resort, and after we returned from our trash-the-dress session, she would not allow him to come to my room to be paid.  She came and spoke with him in front of me in SPANISH! I do not speak Spanish and thought it was very disrespectful of her to engage in a conversation with him regarding MY WEDDING and I not know what was being discussed. Very frustrating.  In the end, we had to handle all business matter in the lobby.  Ridiculous.

Hair & Makeup: F

My hair would have been okay if she had really been a professional and knew how to work with hair textures of different ethnicities.  I got extensions put in before I left but had a small amount of my natural hair left out.  The salon did not have any professional styling tools except plug-in curlers and straighteners.  Needless to say, she was not able to blend in my natural hair.  She used a ridiculous amount of hairspray in my hair and we were in an enclosed space so it was very difficult to breathe, they finally opened a window after about an hour.  My wedding night I took out all the pins she put in my hair and there were over 40.  Not to mention the few that fell out over the day.  The amount of hairspray that was put in my hair did nothing for it anyway, because the curls fell about 2 hours later.

I absolutely hated my makeup. The same person who did my hair did my makeup.  I brought my own makeup but I had a tan after being there three days so I wasn't sure if would still look the same.  She used a shade that was totally not my color and I had her take it off.  I showed her a picture of how I wanted my eyeshadow and I brought the only colors that I wanted her to use.  She tried to add extra and I finally just told her to stop.  I went to my room very unhappy after being there 3.5 hours and still had to do my own makeup.

My wedding coordinator requested a partial refund for this service and it was denied by Andrea Rodriguez and whoever her supervisor is.  Very unprofessional

Romantic Dinner on the Beach: B

The dinner was pretty good.  There were 2 issues, the romance concierge told us we couldn't pick our own menu (which I was previously told by Andrea we could) and she didn't even know what the food would be only that "it would be good."  The other issue, the food wasn't very hot because the server had to walk so far to bring us our food and was serving two other couples so it lasted a long time.  It started raining while we were waiting for desert and it took him about 15 minutes to get back to us.  Not really worth $250 in my opinion.

Cake: A

The cake was delicious! My husband even liked it and he is a cake hater.  We had vanilla with vanilla buttercream.

Photo locations: B

These were pretty limited.  We took some photo's on the beach, but there were lots of people around.  We took photo's in the garden area by the spa, which were also limited.  We got some really awesome photo's in Puerto Moreles (thanks to my photographer) so everything ended up perfect!

015.png018.png039.png051.png053.png

Gift Shop:  C

The gift shop in the lobby was quite expensive.  The exchange rate at the resort was 10.90 Peso's for 1 American Dollar.  I did exchange my travelers cheques there only because I didn't do it at the airport.  But the gift shops across the street at the La Fiesta Plaza were MUCH cheaper.  I paid $16 for a t-shirt in the Royal's gift shop but got 3 t-shirts for $15 at one of the stores in the strip mall.  Big difference.  I also purchased a bag for $11 at the Royal's gift shop which ripped within 2 weeks.  

Photographer (Juan Navarro): A++++++++++

I will review him separately, but I am extremely happy with my photo's and would recommend him to anyone.  If you have any doubts, please don't, he is awesome!

Check-out: F

Total disaster, everything that we did at the resort was paid for before arrival.  Yet they told us we had a balance of over $1200.  I showed her all my receipts and emails stating that everything was paid for and she still made many calls… It took us an hour to check-out.  I also complained to the manager about the poor service we received from the spa, the wedding coordinator and the hair and makeup, but nothing was offered to make up for the issues.

Overall Experience: A

Overall, despite the hiccups, I truly enjoyed myself, as did my husband.  We had a great wedding day, took awesome photo's and had a very relaxing honeymoon.  I would have done a few things differently, and one of them would probably have been switching to a different resort (Secrets Maroma was where we were going to switch too)  but things did work out and I am very happy that they did.  It was definitely a very memorable day!

Here are a few of our pics from our photographer!

005.png004.png035.png

065.png

081.png

#2 Honeylime

Honeylime
    • 28 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:52 AM

RoyalBride610,

First off, beautiful wedding pictures. I'm glad you and your hubby had a fantastic wedding day.

I've got a quick question for you. I just booked my wedding day at the Royal Cancun yesterday for Apr 23 at 4pm at the gazebo. I'm expecting a group of ~14 people (including bride and groom) and I just worry that if we have a beach ceremony, the guests will get too hot and uncomfortable under the sun. From your experience of being there, is the temperature hot hot hot at 4pm? I also like the fact that the beach area where you were was not crowded, so bystanders won't be captured in your wedding photos. What is your opinion of the gazebo area? Yay or nay? It's so hard to make decisions from a distance.

Any advice you could share on the matter would be greatly appreciate.

=)

#3 Moments That Matter

Moments That Matter

Diamond Vendor

• Insiders
      • 3,074 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:06 PM

What a wonderful review! So much information... Im sure a lot of brides will love your post. Good for you to give back this wealth of information.

This is in response to Honeylime who is asking about the weather. April probably will be getting very warm... but it is still tolerable at that time. Well... depends on your tolerance for heat that is! haha Here is a blurb from my website. Hope it helps.

Lincoln

Playa Del Carmen weather, In our own words:

DECEMBER, JANURAY, FEBUARY 

This is the best time of the year to travel to the Mayan Riviera if you don't like excruciating heat. December and January, temperatures cool down and on cloudless days swimming is just beautiful. At this time of the year you get the least amount of daylight, but Playa Del Carmen & Cancun light up at night so it's not really an issue.

Humidity and rain are lowest during this period. If rain or a cloudy days do occur, things can cool down considerably. It is advisable to take a light jacket with you in order to stay comfortable.

MARCH, APRIL, MAY

Things start heating up mid-February and by April you can be roasting on the beautiful beaches of the Mayan Riviera. Water temperatures have not caught up but outside temps have started to rise.

The "rains" start in April peaking in July-August. This is a wonderful time to travel because after "Spring Break", things calm down until the summer travel season starts in late June. Water temps are warm enough to swim comfortably; it's hot but not "July-August" hot. Weather-wise, it's a great time of the year to go.

JUNE, JULY, AUGUST 

This is the hottest time of the year in Playa Del Carmen, especially mid-July and August. During these months the Mayan Riviera beaches fill with vacationers! 
        Summer is also the rainy season however if it does rain, it tends to hit only once a day and for a very short period. Quite often you are happy it rained as it tends to cool things down a little, at least for a short while.

On a cloudless day in August the heat can be unbearable for some people. Shoes are needed because the sand can get too hot to walk on. Even walking any great distance can become a chore. Dehydration is a major factor during the summer months as well as sun-burn. At 12:00 noon you can get burned in 15 minutes without proper sun-block. 

SEPTEMBER, OCTOBER, NOVEMBER

In September and October the ocean water is hot from the summer heat. The outside temperature drops making daytime temps hot but bearable. Evenings are beautiful and you can still swim at night and be comfortable. This is also hurricane season along the Atlantic coast. Hurricanes or tropical storms can occur anytime between June and December, however the common period is September - November. It is advisable to pay close attention to weather reports during these months.

MTM%20Logo%202016_zps4tzm05my.png

Moments That Matter Photography , Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Canadian Award Winning Photojournalist serving the Riviera Maya

Email: contact@momentsthatmatterphotography.com

Why we're Ranked #1 ~ Scoop on what we do:  MTM Reviews

Meet Lincoln & Team MTM: "Meet Lincoln" Video + see his Passion!!!

We Offer: 100% Vendor Fee Discount
                            100% Deposit Guarantee

100% Satisfaction Guarantee

#4 Susan1534

Susan1534
        • 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:22 PM

Honeylime-

I'm getting married on the beach by the gazebo on April 24, 2012 at 5:00.  We were there for vacation about the same time last year, and while it's sunny, your guests should be fine.  We plan to put paper fans on everyone's chair too, just in case.  I think the area by the gazebo is a little more private, so that's why we chose it...

Keep me updated on your planning, we'll see you in Mexico!

#5 DRPrincesa

DRPrincesa
          • 221 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:18 AM

Everything was absolutely gorgeous! How was it having an early (1:00pm) wedding?  What did you plan after? Also, how many ppl did you have in attendance?  I am also having a 1pm wedding and would like a reception for my 30+ guests but not sure how the flow of events will go being that my wedding is so early in the day. Thanks in advance.

#6 royalbride610

royalbride610
            • 172 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

Sorry for the late response DRPrincesa!  Thanks!!  Having an early wedding for us was no problem at all!  I made my spa appointment for early that morning, returned and got dressed and went to our ceremony.  We took pictures around the resort and then went to Puerto Moreles for our TTD session.  By the time we returned to the resort, we changed clothes and had dinner on the beach. 

I don't think you will have a problem with your 1pm wedding as long as your guests will make it in at least the day before.  It also depends on what time you plan to have your reception, if you plan to do it right after photo's or later in the evening.  If you have the reception right after the ceremony, just make sure you take enough time to get the photo's that you want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users