Photo

Sky Lanterns!

• Please log in to reply
402 replies to this topic

#301 meeshie77

meeshie77
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

That is sad.  Wonder if you could do it off the beach somewhere nearby though?  Perhaps the night before your wedding as "pre-wedding wishes"?!

Originally Posted by kellykanester 

Its sad, we cant have these at dreams cancun :(

#302 JessiTaylor

JessiTaylor
    • 296 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:30 AM

The places that say no - is it fire concerns, trash concerns or eco-concerns? did they give you a reason?

i think some are biodegradable but i know some arent...so maybe thats the reason?

#303 leenancy

leenancy
      • 212 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:33 AM

Moon Palace won't do it because the resort is so close to the airport, it could interfere with them. It's disappointing, but at least I understand their reasoning.

Originally Posted by JessiTaylor 

The places that say no - is it fire concerns, trash concerns or eco-concerns? did they give you a reason?

i think some are biodegradable but i know some arent...so maybe thats the reason?

05.27.2012 @ Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort

38 Guests + Bride & Groom Booked, 79 Room Nights

10 Guests Booked @ Other Resorts
        2 Guests booked through other services

#304 beachbum21

beachbum21
        • 438 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

Hi ladies!

Can someone tell me if the lanterns from www.skylantern.com are wire-free? I know they claim to be biodegradable but i'm concerned about the wire pieces going into the ocean or floating elsewhere and animals/fish getting caught in them. Not worth it for me if I'm going to kill these poor creatures for some nice pics.  In the pics/video it looks like there is wire. 

If anyone knows where i can find the true biodegradable and safe lanterns, please let me know! 

Thanks!

#305 beachbum21

beachbum21
          • 438 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

Sorry - correction: i meant, www.theyskylantern.com

Thanks!

Originally Posted by beachbum21 

Hi ladies!

Can someone tell me if the lanterns from www.skylantern.com are wire-free? I know they claim to be biodegradable but i'm concerned about the wire pieces going into the ocean or floating elsewhere and animals/fish getting caught in them. Not worth it for me if I'm going to kill these poor creatures for some nice pics.  In the pics/video it looks like there is wire. 

If anyone knows where i can find the true biodegradable and safe lanterns, please let me know! 

Thanks!

#306 breeburns

breeburns
            • 102 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:55 PM

I so want to do these!
              i'm just going to tell my WC (when I actually speak to her) that we are planning to release these, hopefully She will allow it.
              I know a girl already asked our resort, but its under a change in ownership, so we shall see!

#307 JessiTaylor

JessiTaylor
              • 296 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:08 PM

i agree htat skylanterns are beautiful but im not allowed to have anything fire related in my venue except candles - sky lanterns, firedancers, fireworks etc

i just read this article in an english newspaper  

Hi ladies!

Thanks!

#308 beachbum21

beachbum21
                • 438 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

Hi ladies!

Thought I would let anyone who's interested know I found 100% bio-degradable, eco-friendly sky lanterns. These are completely wire-free ( no harming creatures )!

I decided I would just pick up the phone and ask, so I talked to a few places:

www.weddinglantern.com - These have a wire frame (BAD)

www.wishlantern.com - This company has eco-friendly lanterns however they are out of stock until May. As I'm getting married in April, this won't work.

www.theskylantern.com - This company sells eco-friendly lanterns, $3/piece, also available by the case for less/piece I think and will ship very quickly. For all you Canadians, shipping was comparable to all of the other places I checked, plus if you call them they will give you a direct number for a Canadian distributor who can sell by the case (out of London, ON) which means you'll likely save on shipping. I didn't need a whole case so just ordered by phone (today). Shipping was $28 and i'll have them here in three days. The person I spoke to was also very friendly and helpful. Highly recommend!!!

While eco-friendly lanterns may be slightly more expensive, a few extra dollars is worth it knowing i'm not sending wire into the ocean to get stuck and torture poor, unsuspecting ocean wildlife.  Choose the eco-friendly options!! :)

#309 Kristy28

Kristy28
                  • 160 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

I am glad to get some information as I like a few brides on here would never want to release something that would harm the environment or the animals. I am going to order mine off sky lanterns unless I can find somewhere local to Toronto to buy them.

Wedding booked for December 12, 2012 at the RIU Ocho Rio....cannot wait.....it will be the best day of our lives

#310 Meagan816

Meagan816
                    • 165 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:26 PM

Has everyone checked with their resort to see if they are allowed?  I would love to have Sky Lanterns!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users