Photo

Sky Lanterns!

• Please log in to reply
402 replies to this topic

#161 capecodder

capecodder
  • 234 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:46 AM

Question for you - Did you guys say anything before you released them?  I am trying to figure how to get our guests down to beach after our reception and what, if anything, we should say about the lanterns.

Originally Posted by proti007 

I used the ones from www.theskylantern.com, and had no issues getting them on the plane.

We released ours right on the beach. You need to make sure nothing is nearby (ie beach palapas) as they do not go right UP, they float for a bit and gravitate up. Hope this helps!

#162 newvows21

newvows21
    • 9 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:39 AM

Love the idea also...anyone at the Barcelo Maya Palace doing this?

#163 proti007

proti007
      • 467 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:35 AM

This was a surprise for our guests, so when the reception concluded, our DJ/MC made an announcement asking our guests to join the bride & groom on the beach for a special surprise. We al walked down to the beach together, and our WC had two hotel workers unwrapping the the lanterns, and handing them out to guests. The kerosene cans were already lit and in the sand. I gave a demo as to what to do (the lighting process, and then everyone went ahead and started sending them off!

Originally Posted by capecodder 

Question for you - Did you guys say anything before you released them?  I am trying to figure how to get our guests down to beach after our reception and what, if anything, we should say about the lanterns.

#164 capecodder

capecodder
        • 234 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:16 AM

That sounds exactly what I want to do!  The only thing about our resort is that the place where we are having the reception is a pretty far distance to the beach.  There is a train to take guests, so maybe we can all pile onto that.

#165 KatieJ

KatieJ
          • 168 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:09 AM

I LOVE the lanterns!!!! I saw them in the movie Tangled and fell in love with the idea!! lol oh the things you learn from disney movies:) Does anyone know if there are any restrictions to using these? I guess it must be decided by the resort, but just wondering if anyone has actually used them in mexico? As i was looking for them i came across a youtube video on lanterns gone wrong... lol has me a little worried

#166 proti007

proti007
            • 467 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:39 PM

Hey Katie! Take a read through the thread! I used sky lanterns at my recent wedding in Los Cabos (at Dreams). Check with your resort, looks like every one has their own rules. Cheers!

Originally Posted by KatieJ 

I LOVE the lanterns!!!! I saw them in the movie Tangled and fell in love with the idea!! lol oh the things you learn from disney movies:) Does anyone know if there are any restrictions to using these? I guess it must be decided by the resort, but just wondering if anyone has actually used them in mexico? As i was looking for them i came across a youtube video on lanterns gone wrong... lol has me a little worried

#167 leenancy

leenancy
              • 212 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:16 PM

Oh my gosh I HAVE to do this! Krsmith, I'm soo glad you confirmed with Moon Palace. I'm going to ask also just so I have it in writing for my wedding. Now to do the research... :)

Natalie, I almost cried during your video. Congrats! You had such a beautiful wedding!!

05.27.2012 @ Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort

38 Guests + Bride & Groom Booked, 79 Room Nights

10 Guests Booked @ Other Resorts
                2 Guests booked through other services

#168 KalikLove

KalikLove
                • 178 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:05 AM

I've seen them at a wedding before.. they are so much fun. But make sure you know where the wind is blowing beach one ended up in a tree and the guests were using a hose to put out the fire.

#169 pamelahutch

pamelahutch
                  • 10 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:20 AM

My hotel doesn't allow them because of the fire risk :(

#170 JMikla

JMikla
                    • 189 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:35 AM

:( that is too bad. You would think given the fire retardant paper and the nearby ocean, fire wouldn't be a huge worry!
                      Marrying my best friend Dec 3rd, 2011 @ Las Caletas
                      70 guests booked and paid and counting....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users