We booked Apple Vacation through a TA and were comped about 30 days out. They just refunded back to the card we paid with. It was a nice chunk and a nice surprise!
Do you mind telling me what you got back and how many people booked? Trying to budget that now, thank you!!
Are most of you using the resort florist or did you hire an outside vendor? I was going to hire outside, but Juan Carlos just got back to me with a quote that is $95 more than what the other florists are charging, which I didn't think was too bad considering that I don't have to worry about anything then.
I am REALLY hoping he misunderstood, but he also said there is a $300 vendor fee - I had asked for confirmation that meeting a florist at the gate would mean no fee since nobody is coming in. Did anyone else hear about this fee regardless of whether a florist steps foot on property?
I am using a outside vendor. I have a large wedding party and need a number of center pieces. I am going to ask for a quote from the resort now. Everything I have heard you do not have to pay the $300 fee if someone meets them at the gate. What florist did you get quote from?
A mariachi will be extra. When you confirm your date you will be sent a few PDF documents with extra fees associated with different extras. I brought our own decor and that worked perfectly for us (and saved a lot too). Honestly, the terrace is so beautiful it doesn't need a lot.
There is some discussion on how to cut costs on this thread. If you search this forum you'll find lots I am sure. Some of my tips:
We saved money in quite a few areas.
1. We purchased our invitations at hobby lobby and then put them together ourselves. It took one evening and was not hard at all. I waited until they had a great sale and got 50 for $30. I bought my stamps in bulk which saved a bit of money too. I did not do traditional RSVP cards, but instead had people RSVP online (only about half even RSVP'd anyway!)
2. My dress - I bought my dress and veil off the rack at a sample sale. I got my shoes at TJ Maxx.
3. We got my husband's suit at JosABank. We waited until they were having a sale on the suit he wanted. We got it for half price! We got his sandals at an outlet mall, again, saving money.
4. We didn't use a DJ or rent speakers from the resort ($150/hr!). Instead we invested in a set of speakers for 120$. These we can now use at our home too!
5. I didn't do OOT bags. Instead I bought travel mugs from Sam's club in the summer and gave those to our guests. Six mugs were $20. My sister personalized them for me, which also saved me money.
6. We used the photographer included in our package. We also had my sister supplement the photographers pictures by capturing pictures of getting ready and the dinner. Though I did buy her a nice gift, it was nowhere near the cost of extending our photography coverage. I know this is not an option for everyone, but for us it saved a lot of money.
7. Decor: the resort wanted to charge anywhere from $80-$300 per centerpiece, then extra for linens, chair sashes, etc. I used the white linens provided in our package. To add some color, my mom made us a beautiful table runner. I had 3 bridesmaids and used all of our bouquets as our centerpieces. I brought down plastic cups/vases to put them in. I bought some seashells from Michaels, and some battery operated tealights from the dollar store. I had the wedding coordinator place the shells and tealights into wine glasses to add to the bouquets as centerpieces. All of this cost us nothing, but saved us tons. The resort is beautiful on its own, it didn't need a lot of decor. Also, when I think back to the weddings I have been to, I don't remember the centerpieces. Instead I remember the ceremony, the food, the dress, and how much fun I had!
Night life was pretty good - the disco was a lot of fun. We went there after our reception was over and had a great time! You can always go to cocobongo or other bars in playa or cancun (which is a bit closer).
Our photos were taken right on the beach off of the tequila terrace. You can view them in my gallery if you go to my profile. At the tequila terrace there were few onlookers. I felt it was very private.
Food at the reception was amazing. I wrote a review which you can also find off of my profile.
There is wifi at the hotel throughout the resort. It wasn't super strong. We were preferred guests and it was included in our stay. We also had a bluetooth speaker and it worked out very well. I didn't want to pay the extra money to rent speakers. We played music off of my husbands phone all night .
How many people did you have?