Ravioli recipes anyone?

Karen

Hi Everyone!

My supper club theme this month is Ravioli! Everyone is bringing a ravioli filling with a sauce that compliments it. I've been scouring the internet and my cookbooks. Just wondering if anyone has one to share.

With the fall approaching, this is a great comfort dish. From my research thus far, I've seen that traditiional ravioli dough can be substuted won ton wrappers to make things easier. The sky is the limit with fillings. Right now, I'm considering pear and marscapone or goat cheese and herbs.

And what a great date night idea! Raviloi making! A cold day...some good music and good wine..you and your and your honey being creative and making your own ravioli! I read on another forum that a couple did that and had a lot of fun. Jay and I love cooking and baking together. Well if anyone has a good recipe, I'd appreciate it.

That does sound like a fun date activity! Gosh my family is Italian and we have oodles of ravioli recipes. One of my favorites is pumpkin...mmm and good for fall too. I used wonton wrappers once in a pinch to make pancetta and mustard green raviolis...they worked alright. Although if my family knew that I used those I'd never hear the end of it! They aren't ideal but they totally pass if you can't use fresh dough.

Let me get the specific recipe from my mama, I eyeball everything but that won't help if it's your first time. Be right back :o)

Pumpkin Ravioli with Sage Gravy

1 small to medium sized pumpkin

1/4 cup toasted pine nuts

1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg

1/2 cup ricotta or mascarpone cheese (optional)

1 stick unsalted butter

6 fresh sage leaves

extra virgen olive oil

salt & coarse ground black pepper

ravioli dough

Cut pumpkin in half and remove seeds. (*you can save the seeds to roast as a snack*) Drizzle each half with evoo and season with salt and pepper. Bake seasoned side up at 350 for 45min to 1 hour or until the surface of the pumpkin has almost carmelized.

Scoop out the cooked pumpkin and use a potato masher or food processor to smooth it out. Add toasted pine nuts and salt and pepper to taste. *here you can add the ricotta or mascarpone if you please*

Place a heaping spoonful of filling in the center of your dough, then use eggwash or water to seal your ravioli. Place in salted and olive oiled water that has come to a rolling boil and cook until they float.

Gravy:

Melt the stick of butter completely. As it bubbles and just before it browns remove from heat. Add sage that has just been torn into pieces and the nutmeg. Stir it up, pour over ravioli, and there you have it.

You can top the dish with pecorino-romano cheese for contrast or leave it as is.

If you need a dough recipe let me know :o)

here is my fave, (not homemade though)

Crock Pot Ravioli

1 (25 ounce) bag beef ravioli

1 (26 ounce) jar pasta sauce

1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce

1 cup water

2-3 teaspoons red peppers

Italian spices

1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Pour about half of the pasta sauce in the bottom of crock pot.

Add frozen ravioli.

Pour additional pasta sauce, tomato sauce, water, and red pepper over ravioli (I usually pour the pasta sauce on first and then shake together the tomato sauce, water, and red pepper in the empty pasta sauce jar to mix them).

Sprinkle Italian seasonings over sauces.

Sprinkle cheese on top.

Turn crock pot on low and cook for 4-5 hours (until ravioli are tender).

Toasted Ravioli

2 dozen frozen meat filled or cheese ravioli

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs

parmesan cheese

vegetable oil (for frying)

marinara sauce (for dipping)

Cook ravioli in boiling salted water until they float to the top; remove from water and drain.

Set aside to cool.

Heat vegetable oil in fryer at least 2" deep to a temperature of 375 degrees.

Dip ravioli in beaten egg, then cover in breadcrumbs.

Fry in batches in hot oil until golden brown, about 5 minutes; drain.

Sprinkle hot ravioli with parmesan cheese.

Heat marinara sauce and set aside in serving bowl.

Serve ravioli with dipping sauce.

Rosemary Chicken Breasts & Brown Butter Balsamic Ravioli

Chicken

4 pieces boneless skinless chicken breasts (6-8 ozs each)

2 tablespoons good balsamic vinegar, eyeball it you need enough to coat the chicken lightly

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

3 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves stripped and chopped

salt

coarse black pepper

4 garlic cloves, cracked away from skin with a whack against the flat of your knife

Ravioli

1 (12 ounce) package fresh cheese ravioli, any flavor, i used buitoni

3 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

1/4-1/2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, i used 1/2 cup as we like a lot of cheese

salt and pepper

1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley

Coat chicken in balsamic vinegar, then olive oil.

Season chicken with rosemary, salt & pepper and let stand 30 minutes.

Bring a large pot of water to boil for ravioli.

Salt water and drop ravioli in water.

Cook according to package.

Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium high heat.

Add chicken breasts and cracked garlic to the pan.

Cook chicken 12 minutes, turning occasionally, or until juices run clear.

The balsamic vinegar will produce a deep brown, sweet finish on the chicken as it cooks.

When done, cover.

When the chicken is 2-3 minutes away from being done, heat a second skillet over medium heat.

To the second skillet, add butter to the pan and let it begin to brown.

When the butter has browned, add cooked ravioli to the pan and turn it in the butter to coat.

Add balsamic vinegar to the ravioli and cook a minute or 2 longer to reduce the vinegar and to glaze the ravioli.

The vinegar will become thick and syrup like.

Add cheese, parsley, salt & pepper to the pasta and remove the pan from heat.

Serve chicken with ravioli.

Karen, FI & I went on a ravioli kick a while ago and used the wonton wrappers. It's so fun! We basically would use whatever is in the fridge, goat cheese & basil with proscuitto, for example, or you can do southwest with some green chile or chipotle in adobo with shredded chicken, but it's so easy and no matter what, it alwasy tastes delicious!

I think with a light ravioli made from wonton wrappers, it doens't need a heavy sauce, so I usually just finish with an infused olive oil.

Let us know what you go with, and of course, the recipe! Yum!

When Maggie and I were in NY, we went to a little Italian restaurant for dinner. I had Salt cod linguine that was out of this world! Maggie had a ravioli with peas and basil I think. I will check with her to see if she remembers exactly what it was. All I know is it was heavenly!