Sign in to follow this  
vbbbtk

Bridal Shower, To have or to let lapse???

I'm really torn on this issue... I really was against the idea of having a shower as I don't expect anyone to give us gifts when we're already asking everyone to travel for us... plus my FI is from the east coast and I don't live anywhere near my parents and my friends are spread out across the country... so no one is close. But now I've had a ton of relatives and friends ask when/where we're registering and everyone is expecting me to have one... I thought it was against wedding etiquette to invite people to a shower that weren't coming or weren't invited to a wedding, but many of the individuals asking about registry info fall into one of those 2 categories....  I'm so lost on this issue :(

Originally Posted by WeddingMay View Post

Congratulation meBonidie2be! I have already been offered two showers and a bachelorette. I guess they wouldn't offer if they didn't want to. I have already talked to everyone who has indicated that they are coming to the wedding and told them not to bring gifts to any showers! The fact that they are coming to Jamaica is more than enough! I'm getting so excited!

Thank you!!!!

Congrats to meBonidie2be!

I really do NOT want a shower. It's just not my thing. I don't even like going to other people's showers. However, the closer I get to my wedding date, the more I think that it could be fun to have a chill gathering for the ladies. As long as there are no games, haha!

I'm very fortunate that all of my immediate family and many friends will join us for the wedding, so I am not having an AHR and am not registering.

Originally Posted by GreekFood View Post

Congrats to meBonidie2be!

I really do NOT want a shower. It's just not my thing. I don't even like going to other people's showers. However, the closer I get to my wedding date, the more I think that it could be fun to have a chill gathering for the ladies. As long as there are no games, haha!

I'm very fortunate that all of my immediate family and many friends will join us for the wedding, so I am not having an AHR and am not registering.

Thank you! I felt the same way about my shower. All the games they did play though were pretty simple. I am really glad they did not embarass me at all. It really wasn't bad. It was just like a dolled up lunch.

Like most of the brides on here I am unsure how I feel about a shower/bachlorette function.  My FI and I are both military, and we don't live in the same province as my family, as well alot of my close friends are spread throughout all of Canada as such is the nature of our job.  So I know that if a shower was thrown it would mainly only be extended family mbrs as I am sure most of my friends wouldn't travel to attend.  We are having a small wedding with just my parents and our MOH and BM, and like a previous bride said I have always thought it taboo and tacky to invite people to a shower who are not invited to the wedding. But all that being said, I feel as though I would be missing out on the whole "wedding" experince by not having one.  We plan to have 3 small AHR, one for friends at our house and then one at each of our parents which will mainly be just for family.

I agree! I do not want a shower, and told my family I was firm on it. They were really taken back by it, but we've lived together for 5 years, and I think everyone is doing enough. I did decide I love getting our families together, so we're doing a fingerlakes winery tour around the lake (we live in the fingerlakes of NY, luckily!), and its going to be jack and jill, we are doing your presence is present enough, but if they feel like they want to, in lieu of gifts please donate to your local animal shelter. We are going to do a small gift at eah location to whoever can answer some question about us right first (who intorduced us, first date location, etc).

I have also stated that I am not interested in a bridal shower. I feel that since I am doing a DW and not having an AHR that it isnt necessary.