Riu Varadero

Nicki2011

Hello, My fiancee and I are getting married at the Riu Varadero in April 2012. I have heard good things about the resort and my travel agent also recommended the resort. I'm very excited and any pictures or reviews would be appreciated. I still havn't decided if we will get married on the beach or in the gazebo.

• 2 weeks later...

So happy to hear another bride getting married there.  I'm thinking of making the switch from the Dominican to Cuba and having it at the Riu.  Have you been in contact with the wedding planner at all or are you going to wait for them to contact you two months before?  I don't know if I could wait that long... so many questions already! 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am having my wedding there on Feb 2012 - I'm looking into the beach option.  I did speak with a wedding co-ordinator already, majority of the items such as seasonal flowers - feb they are tiger lilies, roses & carnations, chairs - either white plastic slat back - or chair covers, decorations - will decorate an arbour with the flowers for the beach one, what the cake looks like (typically white icing, 2 tired round cakes - you can bring your own toppers, or even ribbon).  If it rains - there are other options indoors (they will go over this with you down there).. The ceremony is in Spanish - with it being translated into English by typically the wedding co-ordinator on site..

Pictures are a separate cost.. 

Wow I think you just answered half the questions I was going to write to the WC this weekend lol.  How many people are you expecting to go down with you?

Originally Posted by EvilSmurfette View Post

I am having my wedding there on Feb 2012 - I'm looking into the beach option.  I did speak with a wedding co-ordinator already, majority of the items such as seasonal flowers - feb they are tiger lilies, roses & carnations, chairs - either white plastic slat back - or chair covers, decorations - will decorate an arbour with the flowers for the beach one, what the cake looks like (typically white icing, 2 tired round cakes - you can bring your own toppers, or even ribbon).  If it rains - there are other options indoors (they will go over this with you down there).. The ceremony is in Spanish - with it being translated into English by typically the wedding co-ordinator on site..

Pictures are a separate cost.. 

Hi there,

I was in the same boat before i talked to one of the external co-ordinators (not quite sure what they are called). They do not actually coordinate the detail things - you do that down there with the onsite coordinator..

I am expecting to have approx. 30 people.. I am not sure who you are booking your trip thru, however I do know that there are great group rates - where every 10th person is free.. You can either take the free vacations - or spread the money over everyoneâ€s ticket so it reduces the price for all guests..

Have you started on your cards?

Originally Posted by Laurelyn View Post

Wow I think you just answered half the questions I was going to write to the WC this weekend lol.  How many people are you expecting to go down with you?

Originally Posted by EvilSmurfette View Post

Hi there,

I was in the same boat before i talked to one of the external co-ordinators (not quite sure what they are called). They do not actually coordinate the detail things - you do that down there with the onsite coordinator..

I am expecting to have approx. 30 people.. I am not sure who you are booking your trip thru, however I do know that there are great group rates - where every 10th person is free.. You can either take the free vacations - or spread the money over everyoneâ€s ticket so it reduces the price for all guests..

Have you started on your cards?

Yes I have my list of questions just have to compose an email with all of them... I really want a private dinner and reception so I'm going to make sure they are able to provide this.

I have somewhere between 30-40 people coming and yes I defentily feel like I got an awesome deal we get every 11th person free!  Plus when I"m looking online to see what the rate is just to book its $300 more then what my group rate is.  Now just to get that through everyones head lol.

Not to sure what you mean about cards but if you mean invitations they went out at the beginning of July.  Didn't bother with the save the date so invites were sent out earlier then normal.

• 5 months later...

Hi there,

So I am back from my week at Riu Varadero and my beautiful wedding experience.

Please do not worry about anything, I was very nervous going down with all the bad reviews about this resort.  Let me set the record straight - Ive been to Cuba 3 times at lower rated resorts, and this one is definatally light years better.

I'll try to keep this simple and short - if you have any questions please ask, as I found it impossible to find someone who was married there and what it was like.

So we arrived at the resort at noon on Saturday the 18th.  We were given a room upgrade to the royal jr. suite (we didn't pay for one, but they did upgrade us without me even asking).  I recommend that you e-mail Alex (wedding co-ordinator) an e-mail with pics of flowers you see on the internet that you like (as well as which menu you would like, if you need extra flower ie: brides maid flowers, boutiners ect, a pic of how you might like your cake to look - I brought down ribon i wanted wrapped around the base of our cake and they did and it looked great!).

We met with alex at 2pm the same day - he will go over everything right there, bring a pen and piece of paper just to write stuff down eg: you will need cash for things like extra flowers ours were about 150 CUC, live band was 100 CUC - this is well worth it they are quite funny, and the photographer (I will post some pics, they do an amazing job and you get a CD and photo book the next day) it's about 250 CUC (great for no stress and great pics!!)

Depending on what package you picked we went with the most expensive, the bride does get her hair done as well as a manacure and petacure (I didn't know that so i had my nails done before, but had to do touch ups as nailpolish doesnt last long)

You can get a private dinner just for your group from 6pm to 10pm it's extra but only about 250 CUC well worth it but this is added onto your weding bill (can be paid by mastercard, visa ect). as well we got a dj and microphone (so you can have speaches during dinner) you can have the first dance there and dancing after with your group.. great value for only about 50 CUC (again this is added to the wedding bill you can pay this when you check out)

He has photos of different weddings you can either be facing the water on the beach getting married (this is what we did), or get married in the gazebo with the chairs on the beach.  He will show you different pics of flowers and such if you dont find something online to send him. 

The chairs are covered in white chair covers, you can pick the color of the sash, as well as the color for the decorations for the gazebo.You will need to know the room that the guys are getting ready in, and the room that the women are getting ready in, as you will get picked up there and the flowers will be delivered there as well.

I might be forgetting something it went by so quickly and stress free.

So day of the wedding, boys got their boutiners about 2 hours before the wedding, and the girls got ours about 2hrs before as well.  The photographer came about 10 mins before going to the beach, he took a few of the girls getting ready.  We were then taken in the little shuttles over to the beach we waited on the walkway until everyone was seated and ready on the beach.  (our wedding was at noon - great time, not to hot yet)  we walked down the beach and there are lots of others watching crouding around (didnt bother me cause that's what i think of Cuba, lots of random poeple). 

The ceremony is in spanish, but you do get a translator it's really easy.  after the wedding you walk back up to the gazebo for a champagne toast.  After that you take all the pictures you want with the photographer, all over the resort.  So if you like an area of the resort for pics just let them know!

Since we had an early wedding we had the afternoon to swim relax and get ready for the dinner (this was at 6pm at the seafood restaurant as they have a little private room there).  Dinner was delicious, there are two choices for each part which is great for poeple who dont eat things like fish or chicken. I dont think i heard any complaints about the food, everyones dish was empty!  After we cut the cake, we got the vanilla, best cake i've ever had!!

Then we had our dance, then danced with my dad, then everyone danced.  It was a good time.  You'll love it there, and dont worry about a thing - they will take really good care of you for anything.

It does take 2-3 month to get the wedding certificate - not much different then being married in canada.

The pics are ready the next day to pick up with a cd to take home.

Anyhoo keep me posted if you have an questions!! Relax - it will be beautiful.. and the pics even better!!