Legal Documentation

They tried to steal was original documents?

I know they needed the original copy of the things we got from the consulate.  Had no issues getting our passports and birth certificates from them - in fact, they never kept them at all!

My WC said it would take 2-3 months before you get your marriage certificate.

Originally Posted by Evgal View Post

UPDATE:  Go for the symbolic ceremony and not the civil

Before arriving at the resort, they confirmed that they received all the proper paperwork.  After the ceremony, they tried to steal our original documents which we finally got back the next day. 

When we returned home, we decided to make a trip to the courthouse and get legally married.  I'm glad we did.  We received our marriage certificate immediately and I was able to use it to make all my legal changes (social security, passports, etc.) right away.

Its been over 2 months and I have not received my marriage certificate from DR and I doubt I ever will.  The WC actually emailed me last week and asked me to mail my husband's original birth certificate to them so that they complete the process.  WTH?!?  Seriously...

I was so uptight with getting technically and spiritually married at the same-time but if I had to do it all over again I would have kept the same except make the DR ceremony into a symbolic one.   I would have saved myself (and my family) a lot of stress, grief, and money. Don't be stubborn and stuck on the concept like I did. :)

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave them copies of all Originals and all consulate certified documents. Everything!! 6 months later, they are still trying to extort us, they won't give us our marriage license until we send them our original birth certificates (they have copies plus certified translations - everything stamped by the consulate). They make me so mad!

And about the stealing... Yes they tried to steal our documents. We brought our originals to show them so they can compare it to the copies. They took them and refused to return them and said they will mail it back in a month. I told them that I want my documents back and will not leave the hotel until I had them. Our shuttle rolled up and i turned around and said we are staying. Just that minute the WC walked up to us, haned over our birth certificates and walked away without a word. We poured over our docs to make sure. There were all these little pinpricks throughout the papers, almost like it went through a printing press roller.... Hmmm...

Well...

I work with legal documents for a living...and I'm really sorry for anyone having this awful experience.

I gave them my originals and kept a photocopy for myself (I did not give them my birth certificate/passports - they photocopied them in front of me and handed them back).

Generally, when you are dealing with courts, judges, etc. - they need the original to process a legal document.

I had no issues with my resort.

I gave them my originals and I got my marriage certificate mailed to me about 2 months after the wedding.  I was told from Day 1 that I wouldn't be getting my marriage certificate on the spot as they need time to process it through their own judicial system.

Aphrodite - I should have done what you did.  They were suppose to photocopy them and hand them back... I should have watched them do this myself instead of trusting another. 

And to clarify -  I worked with the DR consulate in NY AND the US Consulate in DR - both stated that copies are sufficient and there is NO reason for them to hold onto birth certificates.  Make no mistake.  I did my research and what they were pulling was a scam. 

See I thought you were talking about the documents we get FROM the consulate to take with us there - I gave the resort THOSE originals.

But for sure - I wouldn't let them keep my birth certificate/passport.

I'm surprised! Isn't the hotel you were married at a pretty big chain??  That is one of the reasons why I picked Gran Bahia just because I felt like there wouldn't much "shadiness".

I'm really sorry you had to deal with such stress during an occassion that is supposed to be so happy :(

Originally Posted by Evgal View Post

Aphrodite - I should have done what you did.  They were suppose to photocopy them and hand them back... I should have watched them do this myself instead of trusting another. 

And to clarify -  I worked with the DR consulate in NY AND the US Consulate in DR - both stated that copies are sufficient and there is NO reason for them to hold onto birth certificates.  Make no mistake.  I did my research and what they were pulling was a scam. 

This may be a dumb question, but just to clarify, we don't actually bring our ORIGINAL birth certificates down to the DR with us, correct?  Just the translated ones from the consulate?  I am planning on going to the Chicago consulate to get all the translation/legalization paperwork done.  

Also, what is this Apostille thing with the birth certificate? 

Thanks! 

Dear Sunny,

My daughter got married at PPC on January 7th... yes, you have to bring the original birth certificates. The apostille is another verification of authenticity by your state. So, your state of Illinois verifies that your birth certificates are authentic and attaches an "apostille" (it's another paper) directly to it. Find out if your consulate will do this, or you can mail the original and an application and a check (ours cost $10 each) to the Department of State office.You can get married without it, but they won't send you the marriage license without it.

Hope that helps,

lmazz729

Yes you do have to bring your original birth certificate down with you...also your passport plus your translated documents.

The apostille thing must be an American thing so I can't help you there! lol

Originally Posted by sunny55143 View Post

This may be a dumb question, but just to clarify, we don't actually bring our ORIGINAL birth certificates down to the DR with us, correct?  Just the translated ones from the consulate?  I am planning on going to the Chicago consulate to get all the translation/legalization paperwork done.  

Also, what is this Apostille thing with the birth certificate? 

Thanks! 

• 4 weeks later...