Ring help!! Need to find a matching band!

So Fi was super sweet in going out and finding me the perfect engagement ring. He knew I wasn't crazy about the rings that were raised like this:

gi_WF-HaloPrg-Wg_f-322.jpg

So he had the box enclosed with this design...

IMG_2039.JPG

Which I LOVE, but the ring sits flush with my finger, so we're having a hell of a time finding a band that goes with it. 

Our options are:

1) Have a band custom made to go around the ring. I'm not crazy about this idea for a few reasons: I have to leave my ring with the jeweller (call me crazy but I'm just uneasy about that idea), and it's much more expensive.

2) Try to find a curved band that fits as closely as possible. We found this one over the weekend, but I'm not crazy about it. Do the gaps look horrible??

ring photo

3) Have part of the side box removed, so a regular band can fit under. Again, not crazy about this idea because it means leaving my ring with them AND defacing my beautiful engagement ring. Also, many jewellers won't do this if it's not their ring because their insurance doesn't cover it, so we'd have to go back to the place we got it from, which Fi wasn't too impressed with. 

Has anyone else had this issue?? In hindsight, if I could have a do-over I would've just gone with the raised design! 

What should we do??

Firstly, your engagement ring is beautiful!!  I personally would choose to go with the custom band.  I think it will be hard to find a band that will work well with your engagement ring just because of the style of it.  I suppose if you go to enough stores you just might find something, but getting custom will guarantee you get what you want.  You have to be happy when you look down and see your rings on your fingers!  My co worker had an engagement ring similar to yours and had a hard time finding a band and they ended up getting one custom made and it ended up being cheaper in the end. 

Thanks JayKay! So far all the quotes we've got for a custom ring have been 2-4x what a normal band would cost. I see you're in Alberta, any chance you could recommend your friend's jeweller??

Originally Posted by JayKay View Post

Firstly, your engagement ring is beautiful!!  I personally would choose to go with the custom band.  I think it will be hard to find a band that will work well with your engagement ring just because of the style of it.  I suppose if you go to enough stores you just might find something, but getting custom will guarantee you get what you want.  You have to be happy when you look down and see your rings on your fingers!  My co worker had an engagement ring similar to yours and had a hard time finding a band and they ended up getting one custom made and it ended up being cheaper in the end. 

What a beautiful ring!!  I'd say go with one of these two options: get 2 curved bands...the gap looks fine, and will look planned and even architectural if you have a matching band on the other side.  Since you're already looking at 2-4x the cost of a normal ring for something custom, just get 2 normal rings!

Alternatively, I've seen more and more brides choose to only wear one ring.  Their engagement ring is unique and beautiful enough that they don't want to clutter it up with another ring.  Consider this if you really love the look of your ring and want to save some money.  You could always get bands later for an anniversary if you decided you wanted them.

I have the exact same issue, My ring is almost exactly the same but i have diamonds down the band and the there is no design on my setting.

I am going to have a custom band made to fit around the setting in white gold and then an eternity band beside it, like this:

Triplets

We had also thought of waiting until our first anniversary to get our wedding bands, to save money, and exchanging wooden rings at the ceremony (wooden ring - little thing between the two of us ).

We are having the same problem! My ring is just a basic solitaire but the band is tapered and so only the matching band fits with it perfectly... well I HATE the corresponding band! 

I think the regular band with the space actually looks quite nice, like skybride said it looks architectural and where your ring is so unique I think it works!  I also like the suggestion of not wearing a wedding band if that is something you are ok with!  Custom designed can be so expensive but if you aren't happy with the other options I would suggest doing it because you will never be happy if you sacrifice now!

Good luck, let us know what you decide!!!

Gorgeous ring. I really like the curved band, and the suggestion of getting two.

I had to have a custom made band and although it is amazing and I can't wait to get the other side, it totally sucked to give up my ring for two months while it was sent back to the designer.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Originally Posted by skybride View Post

What a beautiful ring!!  I'd say go with one of these two options: get 2 curved bands...the gap looks fine, and will look planned and even architectural if you have a matching band on the other side.  Since you're already looking at 2-4x the cost of a normal ring for something custom, just get 2 normal rings!

We had considered this as well, but I think I'll have to wait for an anniversary to get the 2nd band. Fi won't shell out for 2 right now, even if it is cheaper. Lol. 

The jeweller also said he could shape the normal band around my ring, which avoids having a custom band made, and may look nicer. Although, that involves leaving my ring with them which still makes me nervous. :s Apparently if you get the ring appraised and insured, you should be covered.

Ugh, that sucks too! What are you going to do??

Originally Posted by torilynnsmith View Post

We are having the same problem! My ring is just a basic solitaire but the band is tapered and so only the matching band fits with it perfectly... well I HATE the corresponding band! 

JBean - I know what yo mean about being nervous, every time I send mine to be cleaned or dipped I panic it wont be my diamond when I get it back! I know its crazy but it would be SO SO easy for a jeweller to do and how would anyone know the better?!  Be sure to share pictures when you decide what to do! I would love to see it!!

We are considering getting my ring re-set.  FI does not love the idea but I have tried on SO many bands with my ring and nothing looks right.  I am thinking we will get it set on a pave band and then my wedding right will be a pave eternity band as well.  I want to do the double bands but don't know if we'll dish out the money right away for two, especially if I get it reset!  You wouldn't believe how much trouble I am having trying to find a setting though! I want a very simple thing pave band (for my e-ring setting) and everything is just not right!