To registry or not to registry??

Good point about the registry info in the invites.  I've always felt that way too.  But I do plan to put the registry information on our wedding website and  and put the website link on our STDs.  We are still early in the planning process so this may change at some point, but that's what I'm going for now.

Originally Posted by MsFoxxy View Post

We have a honeymoon registry with Royal Caribbean.  While we would love if everyone would just buy from this registry, we realize that many guests-- mostly older ones-- prefer giving a physical gift that they can go out & purchase and give to us at the AHR.  So, we did a small registry at Target yesterday & will complete a small one at either Macy's, BB&B, or Kohl's for some new bedding & bath towels. 

Though I know it's considered bad etiquette by some, I will be including the registry info on a separate card in the AHR invites.  I just think it's a complicated, unnecessary dance to expect guests to track me or my mom down to figure out where we're registered... or putting our website in the invite & listing registry info on the website.  First of all, not everyone uses the internet.. second of all, I just feel like it's going around the block to get across the street.  LoL, it just seems unnecessary and inconvenient.

We are not registering anywhere on our wedding website we stated this under the section labeled registery information:

We are not registered anywhere,
We just want everybody to come down
And share our wonderfull day.
But, if you were thinking of giving a gift,
To help us on our way.
A gift of cash towards our future home,
Would really make our day.
However, if you prefer to purchase a gift,
Feel free to surprise us in your own way.

Thank you for helping us to build our new life together!

Wow, I've only been here two minutes, and I've already found something useful.

My boyfriend and I are considering a Florida destination wedding, and if I hadn't stopped by here, I would have said "No presents" on the invitation. Instead, I will leave that out and put more details on the Web site.

Here is what I was thinking of putting on the site (feel free to steal):

"Your presence, not presents, is required. However, if you are unable to attend, Jason and I have small registries below..."

Hahaha! I am laughing because we have something similar.... My FMIL always says this at holidays....

"Your presence is present enough." I would maybe change the word "required" in yours to requested? Just an idea...

Originally Posted by tanikwish View Post

Wow, I've only been here two minutes, and I've already found something useful.

My boyfriend and I are considering a Florida destination wedding, and if I hadn't stopped by here, I would have said "No presents" on the invitation. Instead, I will leave that out and put more details on the Web site.

Here is what I was thinking of putting on the site (feel free to steal):

"Your presence, not presents, is required. However, if you are unable to attend, Jason and I have small registries below..."

Holy! My side of the family is like that. It seems more like a European thing to give money....

Originally Posted by torilynnsmith View Post

I wish I was Italian! All my Italian girlfriends ONLY get money, I guess it is a cultural thing! One bought her house with her wedding money because they got enough for a great downpayment!  Dont think I want the 400 person wedding thought so I guess it's a trade off!!!

Wow! A friend of ours got married this past summer to someone who is Korean, I believe, and at their gift opening I noticed that her family was the same way, PILES of cash. She told me, "Oh, that's just as Asian thing."

Too bad my family isn't like that! Nope, I am destined for toasters and china patterns.... even though I have a toaster and do not want a china pattern! (My mom and FI's mom have the same china pattern... I would not get one at all but I have been told I will inherit these both). Hahaha!

Originally Posted by mizpriya View Post

Holy! My side of the family is like that. It seems more like a European thing to give money....

I would say that it's best to do a registry and to mention it on your wedding website, like many of you have said. A lot of guests want to get the Bride and Groom a gift and a registry helps them decide what is best for the couple. My cousin wrote on her website "This registry is our first preference of how you can best help us if you like, but please know that what we desire most is your presence (not presents)."

Many of our guests are in their mid 20's, a few still live with their parents (!), and our family is certainly not made of doctors and lawyers. :) 

I am definitely not planning on having a registry of any kind. I think I am going to put something in the invites about their presence being the best thing they can give us.. On top of the fact that I don't want a gift registry for a destination wedding, we are currently living abroad and have no use for any time of physical gifts.