Jump to content

Photo

Newbie needs some answers!


  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 2012bride

2012bride
  • Newbie
  • 9 posts

    Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:15 AM

    Hi Everyone,

    I am new to this site and would like some help please!

    My FI & I are getting married in April, 2012 at the Riu Ocho Rios resort in Jamaica.

    We are Canadians and have received some conflicting information regarding the notarized documents we need to send, in order to be married at this resort.

    We have been told that here in Canada our documents get "certified" and in the US they are "notarized" but they are considered to be the same thing.

    Has any Canadian ladies out there been married at this resort recently? Did you get your documents certified or notarized? Any answers would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks! :) 



    #2 Jacki7896

    Jacki7896
    • Jr. Member
    • 195 posts

      Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:59 AM

      I am from the US, but I can tell you that in the US, notarized/certified is the same thing.  Or so I have always understood.  I hope you get an answer soon from a fellow Canadian!

       

       



      #3 Mrs. LowUFO

      Mrs. LowUFO
      • Newbie
      • 110 posts

        Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:31 PM

        Hi there,

         

        I just came back from getting married in Jamaica. Although I didn't get married at this particular resort the same requirements apply at all resorts as it is a requirement by the Jamaican government.

         

        Notarized and certified are the same thing. I photocopied all my documents and then took the originals with the photocopies to a lawyer and he put his notary stamp on the photocopied documents saying they are true duplicates of the originals and then set that.

         

        Hope this helps.

        Attached Files



        #4 JayKay

        JayKay
        • Sr. Member
        • 3,472 posts
        • Wedding Date:January 13, 2012
        • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
        • LocationSouthern Alberta

        Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:00 PM


        I was wondering how to go about this. Thanks! How much did it cost?
         

        Originally Posted by Mrs. LowUFO 

        Hi there,

         

        I just came back from getting married in Jamaica. Although I didn't get married at this particular resort the same requirements apply at all resorts as it is a requirement by the Jamaican government.

         

        Notarized and certified are the same thing. I photocopied all my documents and then took the originals with the photocopies to a lawyer and he put his notary stamp on the photocopied documents saying they are true duplicates of the originals and then set that.

         

        Hope this helps.



         



        #5 Marlena

        Marlena
        • Jr. Member
        • 254 posts

          Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:09 PM

          You can do it online and recieve the long form birth certificate, it costs about 35 dollars and takes about a week to show up from fedex....I will find the website...



          #6 Marlena

          Marlena
          • Jr. Member
          • 254 posts

            Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:14 PM

            This is the website I used for Ontario...hope that helps! (make sure you click on long form version)

             

            http://www.ontario.c...esidents/119280



            #7 Mrs. LowUFO

            Mrs. LowUFO
            • Newbie
            • 110 posts

              Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:23 AM

              We were lucky enough to not have been charged since we knew the lawyer. I know if you use a notary service that you find online they sometimes have a flat fee or charge per page. The fees vary - its nothing crazy expensive but if you can get a lawyer to do it for free even better!!

               

              Originally Posted by JayKay 


              I was wondering how to go about this. Thanks! How much did it cost?
               



               



               



              #8 meeshie77

              meeshie77
              • Jr. Member
              • 208 posts

                Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:47 AM

                Thanks for posting this.  I thought that the long form of the birth certificate was notarized..lol.  If you hadn't posted this, I'm not sure I would have brought them to Jamaica notarized.  Again, thank you!



                #9 Mrs. LowUFO

                Mrs. LowUFO
                • Newbie
                • 110 posts

                  Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:29 PM

                  Both my husband and myself did not have the long version of our birth certificate - just the short form, the one that looks like a card.



                  #10 JayKay

                  JayKay
                  • Sr. Member
                  • 3,472 posts
                  • Wedding Date:January 13, 2012
                  • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
                  • LocationSouthern Alberta

                  Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:53 PM


                  I wish I knew some lawyers!! I'm glad to hear its nothing crazy because someone told us it would cost like $500!
                   

                  Originally Posted by Mrs. LowUFO 

                  We were lucky enough to not have been charged since we knew the lawyer. I know if you use a notary service that you find online they sometimes have a flat fee or charge per page. The fees vary - its nothing crazy expensive but if you can get a lawyer to do it for free even better!!

                   



                   



                   






                  0 user(s) are reading this topic

                  0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users