FleetMac bride

Trying to write your new last name

I am a high school teacher, just have grade 5 this year lol.

Oops.... well, good luck with that. Lol

Something a little different. My husband and I were second time arounders (is that a word?) lol. Anyway, both out of bad marriages. Mine was REALLY bad. So I went back to my maiden name, partly for security reasons and I found after a few months that I liked it. It was a struggle getting over the end of my marriage and I stayed on my own for more than a year before I started dating. I needed to find out who I was all over again. Well, when the love of my life and I got married I didn't want to change my name another time. I was honest about it with him and being older, he doesn't have an issue with it. I always tell him that he's part of my life because I want him to be, not because I need him to be and I learned that in the time I spent getting "me" back. I decided that I like being "me" so I haven't changed my name. It isn't an insult to him in any way. After 13 years together I love him more now than ever. Our kids are grown up and on their own so there aren't any "children" issues, and I know for some people they feel it does create problems dealing with schools and stuff. His parents think it's funny that I didn't change my name. But I just figure we can be a power couple and I can be his best friend without changing my last name.

Only my personal view, but maybe something for someone that is considering not changing their name.

Good luck everyone and enjoy your planning!!

I like my last name because if you ever google me I'm the only one.... If you google my first name with my FI last name there are tons of people....maybe that's a good thing...I don't know. I'm not sure if I will take his name or keep mine and his...or just keep my own.

while we are on the subject of signing names..? This might be a dumb question but..when signing your marriage certificate what do you sign? Your current name? Or future name?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Meandhim

I like my last name because if you ever google me I'm the only one.... If you google my first name with my FI last name there are tons of people....maybe that's a good thing...I don't know. I'm not sure if I will take his name or keep mine and his...or just keep my own.

while we are on the subject of signing names..? This might be a dumb question but..when signing your marriage certificate what do you sign? Your current name? Or future name?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great question. I'd think your maiden name but what do I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol I'm constantly initialing things at work (nurse) and my current initials flow soooo easily... the new ones are going to be so tough, I'm actually going to have to take my pen off the paper between letters!! lol... I'll have to find a way to make it work.

haha I was having a conversation with my now husband about his last name just yesterday.  My new last name is Grant and I was complaining on how I don't like how my G's look in cursive he said to suck it up lol.  Its just hard after writing my name for over 25 years to all of a sudden change.  I need some practice.   <_<