How do you know its "the dress"?

A few more questions to add to your decision making process:

1.  Which dress fits your setting best

2.  Which would look best with your FI's attire

3.  Which one can you see yourself in all day/night

4.  Which one represents your personality and how you want to feel on your wedding day

I too was in the same situation - I tried on about 5-6 dresses at 3 different shops and had it narrowed down to 4 VERY different ones (I had something specific in mind but wanted to keep my options open because sometimes you are really surprised).  They all looked good on and all were in the same price range.  I gradually started eliminating them for various reasons - one I decided was perfect if I was having a hometown wedding - I felt like I was walking the Oscar red carpet, but ultimately thought it wasn't right for our tropical laid back setting and would be annoying to maneuver in all night.  Another one was totally beachy but not really my style so I knew I wouldn't feel confident.  The third was fabulous - very Sex and the City, very bold.  I loved it, but eliminated that one because it would have looked out of place in the Bahamas and we would have had to change my FI attire.  I chose the one that was what I had in mind to begin with and thought to my self I should have known to just go with my gut.  But I did really think it out and rationalize the decision.  i am SO happy with it - and while I didn't know it was the "one" on the first try, when I went back to order it,i knew I had made the right decision.  I feel like "me" but not ordinary me - special occasion vamped up me.  It fits our setting, it fits my personality, and I can see myself comfortable and confident in it all night.  I think FI & I will totally compliment each other and exude the fun, laid-back atmosphere we are trying to create.

As a side note, my bridal ship called yesterday to say the dress is here - soooooo excited!

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the hardest time committing to a dress. I have been shopping a million times it feels like and I finally have it narrowed down but I am very confused. I really wanted a beach flowy chiffon gown but I just never got a "Bride" out of most of them. I have one dress that I like but is totally different then what I pictured. I feel great in it but it is at my MAX budget, it is the only dress I didn't want to take off though...so I think it is the one.....so hard to decide!!!

wow. lots of great advice here from everyone. : )

for me, I didn't have that "moment" with all the emotion (my mom cried when they first put a veil on me with a different dress, and later I was like, "you cried at the wrong dress!!" ; )  like other girls said, I knew it was the dress only after we had left the shop and it was the one I couldn't stop thinking about (truth be told, it was the first dress I tried on during my session, and the whole time I just wanted to put it back on). I had seen pictures of it the night before, too, and it was the one I WANTED to like most. it was clearly the winner that day, but I did try on dresses two other places, and each resulted in a favorite there.

when I went back to try on the original favorite again, I smiled bigger than I had anywhere else. and the photos my mom took really helped a lot, too. it was the one that was most 'me.' that's also what I keep telling my FI when he asks about it.

best of luck in your search. if there's not one that sticks out to you yet, maybe you simply haven't found it. but if there's one that you definitely want to put on again and are often looking at online and visualizing your accessories with... that's it. : ) 

i had very similar experiences...i tried on multiple dresses at david's bridal, alfred angelo and a few other shops...i too wanted the 'wow' factor feeling or the 'crying moment'...i actually did get the 'feeling' when i tried on a pronovias gown at a bridal shop in maryland but my dear old mom hated my choice..so i gave it alot of thought and when it came down to it, while i loved the dress ultimately i ended up going with another equally beautiful dress that i felt absolutely gorgeous in...so i put down my deposit and kept it moving..and i did it ALL by myself...ultimately, when i had all of the 'opinions', etc..it was simply too much so i took a breath and had my own moment...and i'm thrilled with my mori lee dress...which i believe is PERFECT for my beach ceremony...

ultimately, you'll know when the dress is THE DRESS...take your time and find the one you feel most beautiful in.  happy planning!  R~

I found deciding on "must have" features helps a lot. For example what color, style etc. you want. train or no train, strapless or with straps/sleeves/etc. For me must haves where: 1. bright color, preferably orange or yellow or red: 2. not sleeveless 3. light chiffon. Then I fell in love with Roberto Cavalli's collection, from I think spring-summer this year, and so I wanted the dress with either his pink floral pattern or blue feather pattern. After that it was a matter of time to find the right dress from that collection and for a right price. I did try on random dresses during "in between" period, but it was mostly to see if there was a substitute. But as I said: first decide on the "must have" features, then perhaps on fabric, color and so on.