7 replies to this topic

#1 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
  • 11,659 posts
  • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:45 PM

Anyone else raising chicks?  I just got 15 in the mail today....no they are not all mine...

I will update this thread with my journey.  I got 15 chicks total.  They are bantam chicks.

Here are what they look like when I got them.

chicks 039.JPG

This is a little info about them:

Bantam chicks make great pets because they are about 1/3 to 1/2 the size of standard chickens and are more suitable for smaller backyards.  They eat the same thing as standard chickens but because of their size are more manageable: less food = less poop.     In addition to being great pets, they also lay very cute, delicious eggs.   Here are the varieties that I have:   Ameraucana (Easter Egger): A miniature size of the Easter Egg Standard (Ameraucana)  chicken Standard of Perfection in 1984.  We do not offer a specific color variety of this breed, however, we do breed for a wide range of mixed colors in the feathering and the natural colored eggs vary from shades of blue, green, and a few brownish/pink eggs.  A great breed for back yard enjoyment and natural colored eggs to eat.    The Ameraucana breed was derived from blue egg laying chickens, but they do not have the breeding problems inherent to Araucanas. In addition, rather than ear tufts, they have muffs and a beard, and are very hardy and sweet.  easter_egger_all.jpg   White Silkies: Of all the ornamental chicken breeds, the Silkie Bantam is one of the most popular and beloved, and certainly one of the most entertaining to watch. Can't you tell why? They're the lap kitty of the chicken world, complete with hair-like plumage and an incredibly sweet temperament. We have heard it said that Silkies are like a "flock" of kittens... but unlike your other pets, your chickens can actually provide your breakfast! Silkies originated in the Far East, where they are still kept (and eaten) today. They have black skin and bones and 5 toes instead of the normal 4. In addition, Silkie hens make wonderful brooders and mothers, and are even known to adopt baby ducks if given the chance!   white_silkies_all.jpg   Buff Orpington: Orpingtons are big, friendly dual-purpose birds originally developed in the UK, and for many small farms Orpingtons are the only way to go! They're friendly and cold-hardy due to their fluffy plumage. The Buff Orpington is the most popular and all varieties, especially the black and blue, are rare.   A miniature size of the Buff Orpington Standard chicken and admitted to the American Poultry Standard of Perfection in 1960. This poultry variety of the Orpington breed makes for a good backyard chicken and egg production.   buff_orpington_all.jpg

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#2 Avelyad

Avelyad
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:01 PM

They're so cute! But no, I will not be doing this - I already have 3 "chicks" to raise!

#3 acireta

acireta
    • Site Supporter
    • 750 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:06 PM

Adorable! What must your postman have been thinking as he delivered a box of chickens to your door?! LOL

Our backyard barely fits our table and grill - too small for even little chickens. What's your set-up for housing? I suppose you don't really have to worry about winter housing in California, huh? The poor things would freeze here in the winter!

Erica & Al - April 3, 2012 - St. Thomas, USVI

Planning Thread

Wedding & AHR Pics

#4 FabiLara

FabiLara
      • 172 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:23 AM

Sooooo cute! Love it! 

I'm thinking of doing the same....not sure the landlor will go for it, though. 

#5 JayKay

JayKay
        • 3,472 posts
        • Wedding Date:January 13, 2012
        • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
        • LocationSouthern Alberta

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:47 AM

If only I lived in the right place to have chicks in the backyard!  What a great idea!

#6 LalaJ

LalaJ
        • 157 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:57 PM

Tooooo cute!

Hard Rock Punta Cana May 12, 2012

#7 sbg75

sbg75
          • 151 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:42 AM

Wow - chicks in the mail?! Who knew you could do that. How many are you keeping? 

#8 june92012

june92012
            • 151 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:29 AM

I had no idea you could do this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users