Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnessa View Post
What I have found out is that to request a specific design using different products than normal for the baker there is an upgrade charge of:

3.50 per person (Normal)

5.00 per person (Special requests)

That is the amt of cost to have your cake and eat it too :) smile159.gif
What's not normal for the baker? Do they do fondant on the cake? Is it atypical when you ask for a different flavor other than white or chocolate? I guess I'll find out because I sent my cake idea to Nicole.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by akh View Post
I was charged $3.50 per person for my cake - I didn't specify anything other than "white cake" - and other than the few flowers on it, I didn't even say how it was supposed to look!
FYI - the cake isn't included in the package price - so I think the $3.50 is the basic charge for a cake.

yup - this is from their website ...

Wedding CakesClick the image to open in full size.
[Wedding cakes start at $3.50 per person - minimum 10]

Yes, that's correct about the price of the basic cake they offer. $3.50 pp

We requested butter cream icing and that made the cake $5.00 pp because its a different request then their basic cake offer. (chocolate or white cake and icing...I believe) The baker is on LC and not equipped like the bigger cakery in PV. Nicole mentioned if we wanted something the baker couldn't do, we could look into the PV bakery. We are still working on what to do about this. We do want a cake as part of our wedding and tradition thats why this is an important part of our plans. I have heard the LC cakes are good so please just send Nicole a pic w/ specifics on what you want, if she can make it happen there on location she surely will, if not the PV bakery is another option. But yes as mentioned above its an added cost wink.gif if you want to include a cake in the wedding. (I am not sure if the baker can do fondant but Nicole will surely ask him.) wink.gif Keep us posted if you find out anything else on this. wink.gif

Thanks for this info. I had no idea that LC made the cakes there. Man, I'm amazed how they do this stuff in their locale! For whatever reason, I was assuming they had a preferred bakery in PV.

Well if they can't do it, I guess I will have to rethink if the cake is THAT important to us. This was a job I gave to FI and he mainly picked it all out...with a little help. :)

I only wanted one for traditional purposes. I would like to have a little montage of my grandparents, parents and us all cutting our cakes.

I understand the tradition part. My dream was to marry in our Catholic Church and going to the ocean is quite a different type of wedding for planning.

Nicole did mention that the amt of cake could be a consideration if we wanted to lower the cake budget. We are somewhere between 100 - 150 people so she said we could do maybe cake for 75. Reasoning was that not everyone would want cake and there was a large dessert area for the ones wanting another sweet. Since the cake is per person we are considering those numbers once we get our final count. We asked for the final count to come Oct. 1 due to planning and the fact its destination. Unfortunately for cost its high season in Puerto Vallarta and flights/rooms will be taken quickly.

It has really been fun planning the wedding. There are so many things Nicole is doing for us and we are trying to put our individual stamp on our day. This forum has helped so much especially since the brides before us have already done this. Yeah...Im so excited. I've been trying to get pics on my VBPic Gallery and they dont seem to hook up. When I figure that out I'll have some pics of the cake we want on there. Happy Planning :)

Here I go again with my questions: What is fondant? I keep thinking fondue but I know that's not it. So...the quote I got from Nicole doesn't include the cake? I guess I didn't look that closely! She did send me some really awesome cake pictures and I believe those were the 'basic' choices. No idea how to post them here but email me at mbertett@hamadyhawks.net if you want to see them!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlaB View Post
Here I go again with my questions: What is fondant? I keep thinking fondue but I know that's not it. So...the quote I got from Nicole doesn't include the cake? I guess I didn't look that closely! She did send me some really awesome cake pictures and I believe those were the 'basic' choices. No idea how to post them here but email me at mbertett@hamadyhawks.net if you want to see them!!
fondant is just a different type of icing, hard to explain - it's thicker, and more stiff than regular frosting. it often looks more smooth and you can form it easier than buttercream, for example. i'm hardly an expert though, so maybe someone else can elaborate further! or heck, just google it and you should find all sorts of help.

the cakes at Las Caletas aren't included in the package price - it's $3.50 per person extra for the basic cake.

Hi wink.gif Fondant is a thick dough like icing that can be rolled out and wrapped around a cake. It makes a beautiful smooth like cake cover with a seamless finish. Most of the bridal cakes shown in magazines have fondant icing. Fondant won't drip or melt, it seals in moisture, and it makes the cake really easy to assemble. Handled gently, the tiers can just be picked up and stacked — the fondant won't smudge or smear Usually there is another softer icing under it because the fondant as a whole isnt the best tasting icing in the world. It is Gorgeous to see and its all about presentation. Go to this site and you'll see fondant at its best:OH and its expensive :)

Fondant Wedding Cakes

many brides use this icing because the ability to shape it and have a smooth finish enables the baker to put the rest of the cakes designs on easier i.e: ribbons made out of fondant, flowers, etc. Click on the pics on the site and you'll see how the fondant lays perfectly over the cake.

• 2 weeks later...