Did you have a say in your E-Ring?

I should start out by saying we have been together for 8 years, this is not a suprise that we are getting married or even where we are getting married....my future fiance told me to pick out any ring I want. He is not the most romantic guy and I'm a planner and anaylzer by nature. So it makes sense to us for me to pick out my ring.

We went shopping yesterday for my E-Ring and I CAN'T DECIDE! lol I have been waiting for this for forever and now I don't know what I want. I guess that's why they usually have the guy pick it out! Too many sparkly pretty things to distract me!

I've always thought I want a .50 caret solatire. Simple.Classic.Timeless. I thought that if I walk in the jewelry store in 40 years I will still find something that looks like my ring.

This was until I seen the .70 caret solatire. Which is Simple.Classic.Timeless-but bigger. This ring is actually $1000.00 cheaper the the .50 I like but it's less qualiity (it's an I2)

How do you decide? Quality vs. Price vs. Caret.

Even if you didn't get a say in your ring-what are your thoughts on the above?

Thanks!

We've been together for 8 years too and I picked out my ring. My mother is very superstitious and says the better quality means better marriage. I got a 1.1 carat princess cut solitaire with a platinum band. E color - flawless and VVS1 so near perfection. I picked out the setting and stone separately and never saw the final product until he proposed. It did cost a pretty penny but I've seen similar ones that aren't the same quality and they don't seem to sparkle as much but in the end it is your ring and you have to love it! If you like the bling you could always do a diamond eternity band as your wedding ring. That's what I'm doing.

We were together for 10 years when we got engaged. I had picked out a ring I liked, it was the only ring in all the stores that I had ever tried on and actually liked. A few months later FI bought it. I guess he figured he better get it before I changed my mind!

Since it's a piece of jewellery I plan to wear forever I am glad I had some say in it. I wasn't concerned with quality, size, etc. I just wanted to love my ring. I have a halo style ring with a .75 center (I think that's what it is anyway, lol).

Not sure what I will do for my wedding ring, might actually use my engagement ring. I'm sure whatever ring you end up with you will love because it symbolizes your engagement to one another.

Its such a hard decision!! I looked at rings with my hubby to show him what I liked. I am not a girly-girl, but I was totally blinded by all the sparkles!!!! I too like simple and classy, so my ring is a .51 solitaire. I picked out the trellis setting, but my hubby chose the diamond. I think it really depends on how you view diamonds. I would rather have a small diamond that is good quality so it will shine for a lifetime, but my brother's fiance prefers bigger rings, so they decided to get a lesser quality diamond so she could have the size factor. I think it really comes down to what you want and what you can afford. I know this doesn't really help, but like aaronlori said, you will love it no matter what!!!!

My fiance and I went ring shopping together. We shopped for about 3-4 months before we found the one. It wasn't really a matter of "oh that is nice, and this is nice". When I saw what ended up being my ring, we were just about to leave. The jeweler says, "have you taken a look at separate pieces?" So she puts a .75 caret setting with 11 small princess diamonds in a channel setting on either side of the center, takes a .75 marquise, places it in the middle and..... I start bawling! It was so beautiful I cried like a baby. My fiance knew we were done looking.

I was looking for all 4 c's, who isn't? But I didn't want to make him broke over this, so I compromised with color, and don't regret it. Unless I show someone the card, or a jeweler has my ring to inspect, no one can tell. I get the most amazing compliments on my ring and I am so in love with it!!!!

cheer2.gif

I knew exactly what I wanted before my FI and I ever went shopping- a brilliant cut round solitare with a tapered setting. And thats exactly what I got.  I really didn't care to much about the size.  I have small hands, size 4.5 fingers and tried on some bigger stones that were from .70 carats to 1.0 carats and they looked way to big on my little fingers.  I chose a .50 carat Canadian Diamond and went with the quality over carat size.  I wanted something that will still look good years from now.  You need a ring that you will look at and totally love.  I have some friends who never had a say in their rings and they hate them and never wear them because they hate them!

My FI and I never went shopping together, his feeling was that if he knew me well enough, he would know exactly what to get me.  Despite the fact that I am a planner and over analyzer of everything, I felt strongly that this was his decision and I wasn't going to say boo about it.  Lets just say he clearly knows me very well.  I am not a super girly girl, am very active (marathon runner, outdoorsy type of girl) but still appreciate the finer things in life and getting facied up for date nights.  He had my setting designed with that in mind, platinum solitare setting that looks delicate from the top but from the side clearly shows that it can take a beating.  He had the center diamond set low enough that it wouldnt "get in my way" if you will...  As for my center stone, he went in with a size in mind and definitely selected quality over quantity.  He went with a 1.5 princess cut, E in color and VS1.  He told me afterwards about his decision that he stood across the room and saw the sparkle of my diamond over the bigger one and it was a no brainer, quality over quantity anyday.  I love my diamond, my setting and think he did an amazing job without a single peep from me about what I wanted.  In my opinion, the quality of a diamond is far more important than size... Good luck in your decision!

i was surprised with my ring but he did a lot of research into what i wanted - dont know how i didnt cop on to what he was doing but i'm glad he did it that way, i'm the most indecisive person and couldnt chose myself and i love my ring more than anything

In the end we decided to go with the 0.70 round white gold canadian diamond! I love it I think I just needed to sleep on it for a few days. I think I knew that was my ring but we did spend a little more and get a bit better clarity. I love it and it's gone for sizing now but we should have it in about a week! :)

Congrats on choosing a ring!

Originally Posted by baileybutton View Post

In the end we decided to go with the 0.70 round white gold canadian diamond! I love it I think I just needed to sleep on it for a few days. I think I knew that was my ring but we did spend a little more and get a bit better clarity. I love it and it's gone for sizing now but we should have it in about a week! :)