Photo

How to transport your wedding dress?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 ssapper

ssapper
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:52 PM

id also love to know if anyone has used delta!! or virgin america.... were they able to store your dress in the hanging closet?

#22 dallace

dallace
    • 220 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:00 PM

I'm having my dress steamed before we go and I'm hoping we dont have issues putting it in a closet on the plane. Then when we get to the resort I'm going to hang it in the bathroom and crank the hot water to get any wrinkles out. I dont trust the resort with steaming, I've heard horror stories and now I'm parranoid.

#23 ssapper

ssapper
      • 182 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:58 PM

does anyone know if there are places that will professionally vacuum pack a dress???

#24 traceysteve

traceysteve
        • 328 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:11 PM

I told the wc at the westin that I would steam it myself, she gladly brought the steamer up for me

Originally Posted by dallace 

I'm having my dress steamed before we go and I'm hoping we dont have issues putting it in a closet on the plane. Then when we get to the resort I'm going to hang it in the bathroom and crank the hot water to get any wrinkles out. I dont trust the resort with steaming, I've heard horror stories and now I'm parranoid.

#25 dallace

dallace
          • 220 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:34 PM

I told the wc at the westin that I would steam it myself, she gladly brought the steamer up for me

That's an idea to. Only thing is with my luck I would end up doing something to wreck it myself lol

#26 Pucca

Pucca
            • 485 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:12 PM

I recently had to fly with my dress (my mom offered to alter it for me when I visited her to save me some $$) and flew Virgin America. I carried it in the white plastic (not see-through) garment cover they gave me the dress in at the salon. No one cared that I was maybe carrying a wedding dress and I didn't bother to ask considering it was going to get wrinkled while being altered and fitted. But of course I was still concerned. I folded it gently in half, put it in the overhead compartment, and prayed other people wouldn't squash it with their luggage. It made it to my mom's okay. On the return trip I found a garment suitcase for men's suits lying around at my brother's so I put my dress in there with the cover on it, since it was lighter and shorter after the alterations. Worked out much better than just the cover on its own so I'll be taking my dress in that when heading to Mexico. Will probably put fianc©'s suit in there too for less wrinkling all around. My mom steamed the dress so it's not all that wrinkled right now. I imagine I'll just put it in the bathroom every time I take a hot shower or borrow a steamer from the resort, if they have one. Even though we are flying a different airline to Mexico, I'd rather prepare for indifference & my own peace of mind so not sure I'm even going to bother to ask if they can hang my dress...

#27 traceysteve

traceysteve
              • 328 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:01 AM

I agree! Prepare for the indifference!! People didn't care that I was carrying a wedding dress, and travelling with a group of 45. Plus, keep in mind, there may be other brides on your flight as well. My little tip for you, tape the straps to the hanger, that was almost the death of me, every time I picked up my dress, it was pooled at the bottom of the garment bag.

Originally Posted by Pucca 

I recently had to fly with my dress (my mom offered to alter it for me when I visited her to save me some $$) and flew Virgin America. I carried it in the white plastic (not see-through) garment cover they gave me the dress in at the salon. No one cared that I was maybe carrying a wedding dress and I didn't bother to ask considering it was going to get wrinkled while being altered and fitted. But of course I was still concerned. I folded it gently in half, put it in the overhead compartment, and prayed other people wouldn't squash it with their luggage. It made it to my mom's okay.
                On the return trip I found a garment suitcase for men's suits lying around at my brother's so I put my dress in there with the cover on it, since it was lighter and shorter after the alterations. Worked out much better than just the cover on its own so I'll be taking my dress in that when heading to Mexico. Will probably put fianc©'s suit in there too for less wrinkling all around. My mom steamed the dress so it's not all that wrinkled right now. I imagine I'll just put it in the bathroom every time I take a hot shower or borrow a steamer from the resort, if they have one.
                Even though we are flying a different airline to Mexico, I'd rather prepare for indifference & my own peace of mind so not sure I'm even going to bother to ask if they can hang my dress...

#28 jillybeans127

jillybeans127
                • 165 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:09 PM

I will jut be keeping my fingers crossed that the flight attendants will be nice enough to let me store my dresses in the closet. But if not at least my resort will be steaming my dresses and my fiances suit. 

#29 bobe

bobe
                  • Banned
                  • 44 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:00 PM

Thanks for the tips...usually speaking, will the resort steam iron your wedding dress free of charge?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users