Jump to content


Needing Advice

  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SummerQ

  • Newbie
  • 6 posts

    Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:12 AM

    We are going to Cuba on the 27 April 2011, and are staying in Havana for three days then on two the Blau Varadero  H Hotel H

    Hotel. We want to get married while we are in Cuba.


    We just want simple wedding as only myself and my future wife are going, beause we have not told anyone we are doing this.



    I have been devorsed four years ago, my future wife has never been married before.


    I am a UK national and she is Malaysian.


    What paper work do we need to bring to Cuba?

    Where can we get married?

    Who can do the paperwork so we get the marriage certificate?

    Can we just register the marrage and not have ceramony?


    Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.


    Thanks for any help



    #2 Fireweed

    • Newbie
    • 77 posts

      Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:46 AM

      Hi there,

      Below are the marriage requirements for Cuba - they're geared towards Canadians, but I think the rules are the same for every country. It's a bit harder to get married in Cuba after being divorced - it requires more paperwork which costs money to translate, but it's not impossible by any means.


      You can get married at the Blau Varadero resort. Just email them at sales@blauvaradero.cyt.cu for info. Alternately I'm sure you can get married in Havana at a government office of some kind, but I'm not sure where that is. Maybe contact the UK embassy in Havana for more info.


      Good luck!



      Cuba Marriage Requirements

      The information below outlines the marriage requirements for getting married in Cuba

      • If you have never been married before, all you need is a passport that is valid throughout your stay in Cuba, and a tourist card (available from a travel agent, airline or the Cuban consulate).
      • If either the bride or groom has been married before, the previously married person must, in addition to the valid passport and tourist card, also produce the following documents:
        • if divorced: his/her birth certificate and Certificate of Divorce;
        • if widowed: his/her birth certificate, Certificate of Marriage and Certificate of Spouse's Death.
      • Have your birth certificate and any divorce/marriage/death documents translated into Spanish and legalized by the Cuban consul in Canada (service fee applies).
      • In addition, you must:
        • Create a sheet that lists your names, home address, occupations, level of education, nationality and the full names of your parents, living or deceased.
        • Attach the photo page of your passport to this sheet.
        • Fax copies of all documentation (including the extras described above if you have been married before) in both English and Spanish to your hotel in Cuba at least three weeks before your arrival there.
        • Bring all your original documents with you.

      Your marriage will be formalized in the name stated on your passport. Your passport must therefore be correct, and the name on your passport must match that on all your other documents.

      After your wedding, your Marriage Certificate will be prepared as quickly as possible and either given to you before you leave (time permitting) or couriered at the hotel's expense to the home address on your documents. Your marriage is legalized by the Canadian Embassy in Havana and the Cuban Foreign Affairs department.

      #3 Fireweed

      • Newbie
      • 77 posts

        Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:49 AM

        Also since you're going so soon, I'd contact the Cuban embassy in the UK right away and ask them for the procedure - they would be your best bet on what is required to get married in Cuba.


        Since you will need to send your divorce papers to be notarized and translated, this could take some time to do (I know here in Canada the wait was a couple of months)


        Just contact the Cuban embassy (I'm assuming it's probably in London?) and they'll let you know what to do.

        #4 SummerQ

        • Newbie
        • 6 posts

          Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:54 AM

          Thanks for the advice.


          My fiance does not have her birth certificate with her is back in Malaysia, she has her passport only.

          Will this cause and issue?




          #5 Dmitri_Markine

          • Vendor
          • 2,782 posts

            Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:13 PM


            Originally Posted by SummerQ 

            Thanks for the advice.


            My fiance does not have her birth certificate with her is back in Malaysia, she has her passport only.

            Will this cause and issue?




            You need to get in touch with the embassy to see what may or may not be acceptable. I don't suggest you risk it by just listing to our advice and internet as nobody here is qualified enough to tell you 100% correct info.

            0 user(s) are reading this topic

            0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users