TURKS & CAICOS VENUE.... PLEASE HELP!!!!

turkchic

Hi,

We're planning a DW in Oct 2011 in T&C and I think I've narrowed it down to the following 3 options based on pricing and info available.  West Bay Club, Gansevoort, Villa Renaissance.  We will have a car, although not all of our guests will likely rent their own (most won't mind a taxi ride).   WBC is definately the most affordable option, but I don't see a lot of posts or pics from weddings there.  Does anyone have any info or knowledge as to why??  Gansevoort is probably the swankiest, and we may actually host our reception there regardless (if they are next to each other on the beach, I'm not sure why paying an extra $1000-2000 for a beach wedding at Gansevoort is really worth it).  Our other option is the bay bistro route or kissing fish beach catered recepton, especially if we stay more central at VR.  Anyway... I'm inundated with conflicting info and just looking for more guidance and opinions. 

PS- I've also checked out Somerset (too pricy for our guests and fewer oceanfront accomodations, and their wedding packages are a bit pricier than the other 3) and Seven Stars. 

Thanks so much!

Hi,

West Bay Club is a new resort like the Gansevoort so it hasn't been open for a really long time (for us a couple of years is not long).   They also haven't marketed to weddings as much as Gansevoort so that may reflect why they haven't had as many.  The Turks and Caicos is not a HUGE wedding destination or even a huge vacation destination compared to Mexico/Bahamas/Jamaica.  In reality we have less than 200,000 tourists a year and in turn (except for Beaches) not a large amount of weddings compared to larger islands.  While I can understand your initial apprehension, it's really just a matter of not enough weddings to go around really.

We've done quite a few family portraits at the West Bay Club and that may be another reason for the difference in weddings vs Gansevoort.  Gansevoort is a very modern and trendy type of hotel that does market to a younger crowd (ie people who are more likely to be getting married) vs West Bay club which seems to appeal more to families (ie people who may already be married).  I am just guessing here on that, but in looking on our blogs, we have lots of family shoots at West Bay Club and weddings at Gansevoort. 

Villa Renaissance is going to be more centrally located for guests to walk to various shops etc.  But everything is pretty close on Provo, so if you stay at the Gansevoort or WBC you won't be driving very far

Here are some recent weddings at Gansevoort:

http://www.brilliant.tc/2011/01/wedding-christina-tanner-foreman/

http://www.brilliant.tc/2010/11/francesca-domenics-gansevoort-wedding/

http://www.brilliant.tc/2010/10/wedding-kendall-andrew/

This is the only one I can find at WBC (I'll ask my husband if there have been any others, we don't blog all of our weddings, some couples don't want to be on the internet)

http://www.brilliant.tc/2009/12/kirby-bryan-married/

And here are some Villa Renaissance weddings:

http://www.brilliant.tc/2011/02/wedding-cheryl-jad/

http://www.brilliant.tc/2010/06/wedding-gwyn-trey-villa-renaissance/

http://www.brilliant.tc/2010/03/colorful-turks-caicos-wedding/

Bay Bistro and Kissing Fish are the same company, Bay Bistro is the actual "on the beach restaurant" and kissing fish is their catering company.  So you can do the reception at the actual restaurant or you can have them set up where you want the reception and they'll bring tents etc.   Their food and catering is fabulous.   Absolutely love it and I never have heard an even average review of them, people are always blown away (I have no investment in their company by the way, but I do love their beach barbecues and curry night LOL) they really are the best caterers around and Joan (Kissing fish contact person and owner) is a type A personality who will get back to you quickly and handle all of the details. 

I have lived here now for 16 years so if you have any questions ask away.

Hope that helps a little!

Krys

Wow... thanks Krys!!  That's all very reassuring info.  I will be contacting Joan once we have a date/venue settled.  Unfortunately, after several emails and phone calls I haven't really had any response from Gansevoort.  I may still keep them in the running if they call me back in the next couple days, but we'll likely just book with WBC or VR.  Just trying to work on the contractural details, etc.  I'm sure I'll have more questions as things start falling into place.  Thanks for all your advice and input on the forum! 

Hey, just thought I'd chime in that I'm having my wedding in a couple weeks at the Seven Stars. So far the wedding planner there, Niki, has been very accomodating and super responsive. My guests are staying at the Sands but I wanted something nicer for the actual wedding. I'll let you know how it goes!

Congrats on your wedding!!  That's so exciting that it's so close!!  I have spoken with Diane (Island Harmony) about Seven Stars and Villa Renaissance both.  They are comparable on packages I think, although the accomodations for guests etc are a little steep at both probably, so I'll check the Sands for that as well!  Have fun and let me know how it goes!   

Hey!  We just got married at the Somerset last weekend - I plan on doing a more comprehensive review, but the Somerset was simply AMAZING.  We could not have asked for anything better!  While our immediately families stayed at the Somerset, 90% of the rest of our 84 guests stayed at the Sibonne (very reasonable prices right next door) and the Sands (fairly reasonable, on the other side of the Sibonne).  No matter what, people will want to stay where they want to stay.  We had others staying at Point Grace, Coral Gardens and Comfort Inn. 

We did a beach BBQ for everyone in front of the Sibonne as the rehearsal which was also so good.  People were just raving about the food and atmosphere.  They put up tents, lanterns on the tables, tiki torches and a huge bonfire.  They also provided fun music from their ipods, which kept us dancing late into the night.  The bartenders and servers were hilarious too!  I definitely recommend them if you are looking to do a more casual reception on the beach.

The Somerset gave us 20% off any room that was booked and they honored the special that's going on right now - stay 4 nights, get the 5th night free.  We only had 7 rooms booked there, the rest of our guests were at the Sands (which didn't give us a group rate, even though we had 16 rooms booked there), and Sibonne (we had 12 rooms there, and they gave us rates that were cheaper than the published ones - my mom worked that deal!).

Thanks, Mrs D!!  Suzie contacted me today from Somerset and offered me the same group rate.  I'm comparing VR and Somerset and making my decision in the next couple days.  The Somerset probably has a bit more to offer, so that's the way we're leaning.... 

Trust me - you will not be disappointed if you go with the Somerset.  We got so many compliments from our guests saying it was the most beautiful setting for a wedding they've ever seen, the food was excellent and the hotel staff were fabulous :)  PLUS Diane, the wedding coordinator (who also owns Island Harmony - her own event planning business), is AMAZING.  Her attention to details, organization, and overall demeanor you can't beat.  She was such a great help to us and eased our minds about everything the whole week we were there.  I'll be posting my review soon!  BUT overall I give the Somerset and Diane A++++!