Photo

Should I legally marry at home or in the Bahamas?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cindy15

Cindy15
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:22 PM

Hi everyone!

I dont know what to do! I'm going back and worth on whether I should legally marry at home (Toronto, Canada) or in the Bahamas. If I legally marry in the Bahamas, how long will it take to make it legal here in Toronto? Is it a lot of work? Has anyone been through this? Help please! Thanks in advance!! :)

Cindy

#2 WeddingsBahamas

WeddingsBahamas
    • 13 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:20 AM

Cindy, thank you for considering the Bahamas for your wedding.

If you were to get married in the Bahamas, it would be legal in Canada on the date you are married. However, on your return home you would need to file your Bahamas issue marriage certificate so that it will be noted in your country's record. Here is an article that details this for you - Making your wedding in the Bahamas Legal

And should you have other questions let me know...

#3 md2002

md2002
      • 79 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:08 AM

Hello -

I debated doing the same thing you are talking about. I was going to get married in the US, in my living room, using the justice of the peace and then just renew our vows in the Bahamas. At the end, I didn't want to get married one day and have the actual ceremony another day. It just wasn't for us. Your guessed are there to see you get married so you should be getting married.

As far as it being difficult it is not at all. I can't remember exactly what I had to do but it wasn't tough. A photocopy here and a photocopy there and I was done with the whole thing. So - short answer is that it wasn't a hassle in the least bit to get married in the Bahamas and have it legalized here.

#4 Cindy15

Cindy15
        • 48 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:46 PM

Hi Md2002!

Thank you soo much for the info! I was going to get married here before leaving but i feel the same way as you. My guests should be there to see me get married!!  I will probably get married in the Bahamas instead of here. Thanks!!  :D 

Cindy

#5 md2002

md2002
          • 79 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:09 AM

No problem! Good Luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users