Any other 2013 Brides??

BellaSposa

I think the hardest part is picking a resort. It came fairly easily for us, but that is just a fluke. 

Have you ever been to the Riviera Maya? If not, talk to people who have. (For example, I would recommend Grand Sirenis!) 

The very first thing is to look at yourselves. What is important to you? What do you and your FI like to do on vacation? Are you lay around the pool people, or do you like to go-go-go all the time? Super active, sightseeing, swimming the whole time...? Is the view most important, or the food? Also, decide if you want adults only, or family friendly. And decide if you want to go all inclusive or not.

Then, look at the makeup of the group that will probably be traveling with you. If it is a family-friendly resort, how kid-focused do you want it to be? Some places have great kids programs, so mom and dad can relax while the little ones go play. Or maybe elegance is very important, with fine dining and luxurious amenities. Maybe you have history buffs who want to see the mayan ruins (amazing!) or would like to try their hand at snorkeling (also great!). Or maybe it is a big party crowd, who love to drink! Look at your friends, your family, and yourselves.

Then, start researching! 

If you are not leaning towards certain places or chains, research lots! Some places have incredible snorkeling, but have long trips to ruins, for example. Some places are close to Hidden Worlds, or Xel-Ha, or Xcaret, for the nature lovers, but farther away from the party scene in Cancun. Do you think you would like a big resort or a small one?

There are lots of things to consider, yes, but I would explore a few options online, then look at reviews. I really try to avoid tripadvisor, but if you take it all with a grain of salt, there can be some good information. Narrow it down to an area of the Riviera Maya, then to a few resorts, then research all of those to make up your minds. Or, you might be like us, and fall in love with a resort right off the bat (we are going to the Dominican). Biggest factor, though, is what YOU want. Once you figure that out, picking out the resort becomes much easier.

Originally Posted by FutureMrsM View Post

Hello Everyone!!

I recently got engaged on December 4th and have dreamed of a Destination Wedding!!! Last night in talking to my fiance, we decided to look into a Riviera Maya Wedding on March 2013.  (So let the madness begins....) I came across this site and have to admit, I am hooked.  It is full of information!  Having a hard time narrowing the venue as people rave about all resorts in the RIviera Maya.  As we are def trying to remain budget conscious... I welcome any ideas, suggestions, tips etc with anyone that is planning a 2013 wedding as well or has had their wedding there.  The whole thing is definitely overwhelming.  

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been engaged 15 days and I have done soo much research on these forums that I have narrowed my choices to Dreams Punta Cana or Majestic Colonial in Feb 2013. I thought few people would come but as the news gets around my family most plan on coming. My 30 people guest list may turn into 50 but the resorts have so many choices that I can change things to be affordable = ) Dreams had a group rate already which was nice so I can get an idea of pp rates. today I am creating our wedding website and sending out an evite for our engagement party next month.woot.gif very excited.

I'm considering doing my reception at the Jellyfish in Feb 2013 but I haven't heard back from them its probably due to the holidays sad.gif. Can I ask what was more appealing about the jellyfish compared to your resort?

Originally Posted by lande8 View Post

Hey everyone!  We are getting married on March 1, 2013 at the Jellyfish Restaurant.  We will be staying with our guests at the Iberostar Grand Bavaro.  Sooo excited to have finally made a decision!  Now I get to hurry up and wait :)

I am planning a wedding for April 2013 as well and it seems like forever away as well.  I am planning a wedding in Oahu and I am new to this site, any information anyone can provide to me would be great.  I am from Calgary so I am headed out there for 10 days in April this year to try and get everything planned.  Thanks!

Welcome! I am from Alberta too (Lethbridge) but we aren't going to be able to do a site visit first. You're so lucky you can!

Congratulations and happy planning! I am sure your visit will be wonderful!

Originally Posted by JacquieC View Post

I am planning a wedding for April 2013 as well and it seems like forever away as well.  I am planning a wedding in Oahu and I am new to this site, any information anyone can provide to me would be great.  I am from Calgary so I am headed out there for 10 days in April this year to try and get everything planned.  Thanks!

Hey Ladies, just came across this forum tonight.

I am a Feb 2013 bride, booked at the Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica.  So excited and loving the whole planning process.  Just ordered my paper to get my STD and invites printed on and can't wait for it to come in!  Just putting the final touches to our wedding website so it is ready when our STDs go out in about two months.  Good luck to all and happy planning!!

Mine is January 2013 and I haven't even decided yet? So many hotels to choose from in Punta Cana!! What made you chose between Dreams and Majestic Colonial? I have not picked any one place yet because I dont know where to begin finding rates that far in advance. Did you just email the hotels? Where did you find rates?

Also, how does one go about making a wedding website? I would love to do that! I want to start on something like that THIS weekend!

Originally Posted by DominicanLeila View Post

I've been engaged 15 days and I have done soo much research on these forums that I have narrowed my choices to Dreams Punta Cana or Majestic Colonial in Feb 2013. I thought few people would come but as the news gets around my family most plan on coming. My 30 people guest list may turn into 50 but the resorts have so many choices that I can change things to be affordable = ) Dreams had a group rate already which was nice so I can get an idea of pp rates. today I am creating our wedding website and sending out an evite for our engagement party next month.woot.gif very excited.

I would find a travel agent; they will let you know about prices.

As for the websites, you have a few different options. You can even search on here for some discussion from the brides. That's what I did... and I ended up choosing weddingwire. It was free (very important), is very easy to use (equally important), has lots of information, and is quite customizable. I like it, and we have heard quite a few good things (of course, almost no one I know has had a wedding website before, but still!). There is a link to mine in my signature, if you want to check it out. 

Hope that helps!

Originally Posted by ntlsnow View Post

Mine is January 2013 and I haven't even decided yet? So many hotels to choose from in Punta Cana!! What made you chose between Dreams and Majestic Colonial? I have not picked any one place yet because I dont know where to begin finding rates that far in advance. Did you just email the hotels? Where did you find rates?

Also, how does one go about making a wedding website? I would love to do that! I want to start on something like that THIS weekend!

I do have a travel agent but she said to come back and see her at the end of January or beginning of February. I think I may go sooner, I am a ball of nerves right now because I have not chose a place. I know I have them narrowed down but no final decision, and that is bothering me! LOL.

Thank you very much for the wedding website information...I am going to go check it out right now. Much appreciated. :-)

Originally Posted by Peach View Post

I would find a travel agent; they will let you know about prices.

As for the websites, you have a few different options. You can even search on here for some discussion from the brides. That's what I did... and I ended up choosing weddingwire. It was free (very important), is very easy to use (equally important), has lots of information, and is quite customizable. I like it, and we have heard quite a few good things (of course, almost no one I know has had a wedding website before, but still!). There is a link to mine in my signature, if you want to check it out. 

Hope that helps!