Need Shopping Help for Necklace

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 calyx6

calyx6
  • 160 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:00 PM

Need your help ladies!

When we picked out our wedding bands I took the opportunity to try on some necklaces while at the jewelry store. This one necklace was so pretty, not too heavy, understated, and didn't overwhelm my small frame. Because I have an asymmetrical neckline on my dress I can't do a single pendant type of necklace. So, anyways, I tried on the necklace and loved it! That is, until I took a look at the price tag. $6,000!!!!!! Apparently 3 carats worth of yellow diamonds cost a lot of money.

Click the image to open in full size.

That picture doesn't do it justice. The strands actually criss-cross each other when it's worn, giving it an effect sort of like in this necklace:
    Click the image to open in full size.
    I really like this second necklace too but the gemstones aren't sparkly enough.

Please help me find a cheaper alternative to the diamond necklace. I would like it to be gold colored and to have either clear or blue gemstones (or crystals), and to cost much less than several mortgage payments.

Thanks!

-Vi-
    Tulum - November 3, 2007

#2 boscobel

boscobel
    • VIP Member
    • 24,213 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:06 PM

Are you crafty at all? I played around with making jewelry for a while and that second necklace seems like it would be easy to make. You could even get the stones in a yellow-y color (i even have a bunch at home!). It looks like you would just buy a chain and the circle attachments and a bead cap and put it all together.

#3 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 24,768 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:08 PM

good idea! many craft and bead stores hold classes as well - you could easily do something like thsi i bet!

#4 calyx6

calyx6
        • 160 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:16 PM

I actually used to dabble in making jewelry. But it's been 8 years and I'm a little out of practice. I'd rather not have to make it. The second necklace is nice, and I could make it (probably by ordering real gold chain and real gemstones from rio grande) but I'd rather have the 1st necklace!

-Vi-
          Tulum - November 3, 2007

#5 boscobel

boscobel
          • VIP Member
          • 24,213 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:47 PM

I hear ya, who wouldn't rather have 3 carats then fake jewelry!

#6 calyx6

calyx6
            • 160 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:53 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by carlymcmullen
              I hear ya, who wouldn't rather have 3 carats then fake jewelry!
              Oooops.. what I meant was that I like the style of the diamond necklace better (but yeah.. of course I'd rather have the real thing.) :)

-Vi-
              Tulum - November 3, 2007

#7 foxytv

foxytv
              • VIP Member
              • 7,740 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:32 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by akh
                good idea! many craft and bead stores hold classes as well - you could easily do something like thsi i bet!
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by carlymcmullen
                Are you crafty at all? I played around with making jewelry for a while and that second necklace seems like it would be easy to make. You could even get the stones in a yellow-y color (i even have a bunch at home!). It looks like you would just buy a chain and the circle attachments and a bead cap and put it all together.
                Perfect idea! We have several craft stores (Michaels, etc) that offer jewelry and beading classes.

In addition, there are some specialty shops that have some really fun classes available too. See if there is anything like this in your area: www.beadedfrog.com or Daly Designs Homepage. They both have "Girls Night Out 'design your own jewelry' options.

Try doing a Google search for "*your town* make your own jewelry".

#8 jen rau

jen rau
                • 15 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 01:44 PM

turqbridal.com has tons of really pretty stuff

#9 calyx6

calyx6
                  • 160 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 01:59 PM

Thanks! I'll go check it out.

-Vi-
                    Tulum - November 3, 2007

#10 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                    • 24,768 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 02:17 PM

when i read this earlier, i wasn't on my personal computer and didn't have these links.

this one makes custom jewelry, they could probably do it for a reasonable price: Home and they have all these stones: Page Title

here is another site i had bookmarked: Tina Tang Necklaces

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users