Photo

Money Shower

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mandys

mandys
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:07 PM

I would just like your thoughts on a money shower. Me and my fiancee are moving in together about 9 months before our wedding, so we will have most of the stuff that we need. I just dont think its fair, that I have gone to dozens of showers, and then not have one myself?? A money shower would make most sense for us. What do you all think?

Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
    April 2012

#2 BeachBridein11

BeachBridein11
    • 610 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:24 AM

I strongly suggest NOT to have a money shower.  Asking for money is always in poor taste.  Sorry...

Married in Paradise!!

June 17th, 2011

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

#3 mandys

mandys
      • 181 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:33 AM

Thanks for your thoughts - I appreciate it.....the only reason I have considered it is because I have been to a money shower myself. I have thought of just not throwing anything but I keep getting invited to showers, stag and does etc. and have spent so much on people. I am torn.

April 2012

#4 soon2bmrspierce

soon2bmrspierce
        • 48 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:54 AM

My fiance' and i live together already in a house and pretty much have everything.I think you should def still have a shower,it's always nice to get new stuff.You could always put the stuff away and break it out at later date.I've never been to a money shower.Maybe give people the option, 

#5 katieandaron

katieandaron
          • 35 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:01 AM

Could you have a something else kind of shower?  A wine shower?  A stock-our-liquor cabinet shower?  A lingerie shower? 

On the other hand, I think you could come up with stuff you want- new linens, seasonal items (holiday platters, etc.), tupperware...

I agree with the previous poster- I think a "money shower" is a bad idea.

#6 mandys

mandys
            • 181 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:02 AM

Ok. Looks like its a bad idea.....Either I will find items to put on the registry (you are right, you can always use new things) or I just wont do anything at all.  I wasnt going to have a shower at all until some of my family told me I should. 

April 2012

#7 deannamarie85

deannamarie85
              • 447 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by mandys 

Ok. Looks like its a bad idea.....Either I will find items to put on the registry (you are right, you can always use new things) or I just wont do anything at all.  I wasnt going to have a shower at all until some of my family told me I should. 

I just think it implies that you only want money from guests, which can seem a little harsh. If you have a bridal shower then guests can choose to either buy you a gift or money.

#8 CanadianLindsey

CanadianLindsey
                • 284 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:33 PM

Showers are always such a touchy subject...although I have been to and hosted a lot of them, I still don't like the underlying notion of having a party just to get gifts.  Some traditions should be left in the past! Lol!

#9 mandys

mandys
                  • 181 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:47 AM

CanadianLindsey, I totally agree with you. I am not personally a big fan of the whole shower idea especially if you dont particularly need the help. If it were up to me I wouldnt have one. If I do have one though, I will definitely choose gifts on a registry. Thanks for all your thoughts and opinions!

April 2012

#10 snanderson

snanderson
                    • Site Supporter
                    • 97 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:44 PM

Or maybe you could have a shower and include a "cute" little note that kindly explains your situation (i.e. that you are already in an established household) and suggest "if a gift is a must, we prefer gift cards or financial donations to help us with our new union."..just an idea! Not sure if the wording makes sense, was trying to recap what I have recently read on a wedding invitation and it was worded in good taste. Again...just an idea!

11.12.11...On this day I will marry my best friend, the one I laugh with and live for....
                      The Couples Resort - Tower Isle
                      Ocho Rios, Jamaica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users