Anyone have any home remedies for headaches or migraines?

~Melissa~

I used to get migraines a lot in college, and never could find the trigger for them. I ended up taking Maxalt for a while, but they subsided enough to not have to refill the prescription.

I have read a lot about triggers and another common one is MSG, so I always make sure and request no MSG when we order chinese, etc. And cheese can be a trigger as well as alcohol.

I usually can get by using Excedrin, but I try to stay away from it if I can...have read some things about it that just don't sit well. But I did notice that Excedrin migraine is nothing more than Excedrin + caffeine, so now I usually try to have a diet coke or something first to see if that helps with the swelling of the blood vessels and then treat if needed.

Melissa, I might have to try the roll-on stuff though, it looks so cheesy though! Guess I'll have to apply it at work in the restroom so no one sees me!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right...it is really cheesy, but I swear it helps. It won't take it away, but it definately dulls the pain.

As for the auras, nausea, sensitivities, etc. it doesn't do anything, but it does make the pounding headache calm down.

Check out this website for more migraine info - it's really really thorough and covers just about everything you could ever want to know about migraines.

MyMigraineConnection - Information on Migraine Symptoms, Treatment, Causes, and Triggers

I find it helpful to track my migraines as well in like a journal...I'll write down the date & time it started, everything I had to eat within the last 24 hours, what the weather was like, what I was doing when it started, etc.

It's really helped me to figure out what my triggers are and start avoiding them!

I used to suffer horribly from migraines...couldn't open my eyes, was vomiting, all of the above. No pills helped, they even make an Excedrin migraine that takes a slight edge off but it did nothing really. My solution is controversial and not widely available, but the only thing that has ever cut my pain from 10 to 2 in less than an hour is cannabis (marijuana, pot, it goes by many names). In Cali you can get it medically prescribed for such a reason in every form from herbs to teas to granola bars, but I don't know about Florida...probably not. Well if you ever happen to be in CA with a migraine that's what I recommend. I agree with monitoring your diet as well to see what triggers you can avoid.

I'm a migraine sufferer as well. As soon as I feel the tingling start (sometimes even sooner... you know... somehow your body just knows something is coming) I take 800 mg of ibuprophin and 1000 of tylenol. Sounds like a lot, but it really does the trick. I've taken imitrex alot, and it works too, but it is a pain to administer (shoot up the nose or needle) and it is also very expensive. Try the combo; it changed my life.

I was a sucker for that HeadOn commericial, No i doen't really work. It feels like A535 on the head. Fh made fun of me....

Thanks for that website Melissa. And that's a good tip on MSG although we haven't been eating out at all lately.

I got a doctor apointment for next Thursday...hopefully we can get something figured out.

I only get them about once a year and I just have to go to a dark quiet room.

I had to ask my friend that gets them all the time.

"The herb is feverfew, the medicine is maxalt. But with the feverfew I've been able to take care of them with excedrin migraine".