Key West Reception Venue Ideas

I am a newbie on this site and have spent several weeks reading forums before I officially joined today and am so thankful for all of the help I've already found here.  I know there have been a few posts awhile back, but I was wondering if any of you brides have updated information on some great, fun places for a small, relaxed reception in Key West. We are getting married on the beach (think Smathers, any opinions on that would be great as well!) then thinking that a restaurant for a cocktail/hor'd ourves reception would be the best option. I have looked at the Conch Republic and Schooner's Wharf per other suggestions on here, but would love any help you could give...thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I am getting married in Key West on June 4th. We are having our reception on the Sunset Watersports Partycat. We wanted something casual, fun and different. So far they've been great to work with. Our second choice was the Rum Barrel. They have an open-air rooftop that they book private parties for. We actually went to a wedding there 2 years ago, and it was a great place. I talked to Kathy and she was really helpful. Hopefully this helps!

Megan

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also a newbie :) We're getting married on Smather's Beach because it's free and beautiful. We're going with Aaron from Aaron's Key West weddings, I can't say enough good things about him! He also said Smather's is cleaned, so we shouldn't have a bunch of seaweed! We're having dinner at Duffy's Steak & Lobster House on Simonton. We went to the Conch Republic for lunch one day and hated it, so that was out for reception. We didn't really look into too many restaurants while we were down there because we fell in love with Duffy's. Hopefully you can find a restaurant :) When are you getting married?

Thank you so much for your response!  We have decided to get married at the Oldest House, it is the oldest house in Key West and has a beautiful/intimate garden area for small ceremonies and is very affordable. I was just so nervous about not having a "certain" area on the beach and just having to show up.  What part is Aaron doing for you? We don't have a planner because we already have an officiant and photographer so weren't sure if we needed one, but would love to hear your opinion!  I talked to Duffy's after I received your message and they said that they don't do private parties. How many people will you be having? They told me they can't accommodate large groups so I'm still not sure what we're going to do about dinner, we have ~30 ppl.  We were considering having a caterer, but that is a pretty large expense as well and we are trying to keep it down if possible.  All the restaurants I have talked to are already booked or are pretty high as well. I looked at Rum Barrel, but they rent the deck for $500/hr (they said they may not have to rent it if they can still seat other ppl, but didn't give me a max number and I don't want to chance it) and that is too high for our budget. I liked Conch Republic online, but it is booked other than the "end of the bar" area where they said they could put us, but I'm not sure what that consists of....what was it you didn't like about it? Just trying to get as much help as possible, it's so hard to decide on anything without having been there!

We went to the Conch Republic for lunch when we were down there last August. FI hated the Shrimp he got for an app, I forget what he ordered for a meal but he only ate 2 bites and the only think I ate from mine was the fries. 

Aaron does everything, books the photographer, florist, and is our officiant. He's wonderful. 

Mkeller323,

We decided to go with our reception on a Catamaran as well - we're using Fury Watersports.  I'd love to hear any ideas you have regarding anything extra you may have added to your boat package. Also, are you doing a cake on the boat?  We thought about doing a cupcake tower instead but I'm undecidedundecided.gif

Also- do any brides have suggestions on places to get a groom's attire for a destination wedding.  We looked briefly at Men's Warehouse but there was not much for beach weddings - everything was very formal tuxedos (maybe we were just there at the wrong time of year?)

Thanks everyone!

@Kristen82 - that's great!  We are using Sunset Watersports. So far we've just added the extra hour, the package offered came with 3 hours. We are also bringing in our own tables & chairs, which was advised by our coordinator. She told us the tables and chairs they have on board are not very sturdy and the tables don't line up properly. Since we are having 70 people, we are not doing a sit down. I don't know the setup of the Fury, but the Partycat is a double decker, which has an enclosed and air conditioned room downstairs and the top floor is open. We are using the downstairs for dinner and the upstairs for dancing. We are just going to do a casual buffet, and people can eat when they are hungry. If we did a sit down, the room would be very tight. I'm okay with this set up since the whole feel of our reception is relaxed and casual. We are getting a cake. We are using Amazing Cakes & Creations. They are a newer bakery and they had the best pricing. Our coordinator highly recommended them. We are doing a 3 tier square cake. The picture I gave them was a 4 tier, but they said they wouldn't recommend a 4 tier for a boat! Also, I don't know what your package is for alcohol, but ours only offers keg beer. So for our favors, we ordered 16 oz plastic beer mugs and designed a logo for the front & back which included our names, wedding date and beach chairs. Otherwise, our guests would have been drinking out of plastic Solo cups. Not that the mugs are classier or anything! Just more fun! Let me know if you have any other questions!