Updated Grand Cayman Weddings Thread

Starfish0512

I am a Civil Registrar of Marriages in the Cayman Islands.  Your Cayman Islands marriage is legal worldwide, and you don't have to register it in your home state.  You DO have to get a Registered Marriage Certificate from the Cayman Islands Government (Registrar of Marriages) after your wedding has been performed, and your Marriage Officer has filed it.

Usually your Marriage Officer will mail this to you a couple of days after the wedding.  Make sure this is part of your package, as this is your official marriage certificate and you will need it to change your Driver's License, Social Security, bank accounts etc.

Have a lovely day in the beautiful Cayman Islands, May is a lovely time to be married.

To clear up your question, you and your fiancé must be married by Special Marriage License, Cayman Islands residents have another process to go through, they have to be married by having "Banns of Marriage" published.  The document both couples receive after the wedding is the same, a "Registered Marriage Certificate".  Just make sure your package includes this very important document.

Hi everyone!  So I think I've solved the dilemma of wanting something on Friday for all guests/FI's family not wanting to do the rehearsal dinner for everyone.  We'll do the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner on Thursday night.  Then Friday, have a welcome cocktail party on the beach.  I thought it wouldn't fit in the budget, but I think I've figured out a way to make it work.

We'll hire a coconut vendor to bring a bar and make drinks.  They bring fresh coconuts, crack them right there, use the fresh water to make a rum drink right in the coconut.  Cute.  We'll be able to buy local rum ourselves when we get there and avoid the markup of holding the event somewhere (and will even get a discount since I'm also buying 100 rum cakes to go in welcome bags!).  Then I'll buy some beer and 1-2 other liquors on my own, hire another 1-2 bartenders, and just rent tables and such.  If the budget permits we'll have a steel pan player for an hour (otherwise I'll just make a playlist and borrow some speakers), and I'm also going to rent some giant lawn games (Jenga, Twister).  I think I can do the whole thing for about $2k, even with a couple of snacks.  We'll do it from like 4-6 so people can do their own thing for dinner.

Fingers crossed!

Originally Posted by agm04 View Post

Hi everyone!  So I think I've solved the dilemma of wanting something on Friday for all guests/FI's family not wanting to do the rehearsal dinner for everyone.  We'll do the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner on Thursday night.  Then Friday, have a welcome cocktail party on the beach.  I thought it wouldn't fit in the budget, but I think I've figured out a way to make it work.

We'll hire a coconut vendor to bring a bar and make drinks.  They bring fresh coconuts, crack them right there, use the fresh water to make a rum drink right in the coconut.  Cute.  We'll be able to buy local rum ourselves when we get there and avoid the markup of holding the event somewhere (and will even get a discount since I'm also buying 100 rum cakes to go in welcome bags!).  Then I'll buy some beer and 1-2 other liquors on my own, hire another 1-2 bartenders, and just rent tables and such.  If the budget permits we'll have a steel pan player for an hour (otherwise I'll just make a playlist and borrow some speakers), and I'm also going to rent some giant lawn games (Jenga, Twister).  I think I can do the whole thing for about $2k, even with a couple of snacks.  We'll do it from like 4-6 so people can do their own thing for dinner.

Fingers crossed!

Sounds great.  Where are you renting the tables and chairs from?

I'm not sure yet - Juliette is going to price all that out for me.  What in the world would I do without her?

Although now FMIL isn't sure what she wants to do and doesn't want to do the rehearsal on Thursday.  So who knows what we'll end up doing.  Isn't it fun planning around everyone?

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by agm04 View Post

I'm not sure yet - Juliette is going to price all that out for me.  What in the world would I do without her?

Although now FMIL isn't sure what she wants to do and doesn't want to do the rehearsal on Thursday.  So who knows what we'll end up doing.  Isn't it fun planning around everyone?

Still haven't really been able to think through what we'll do for the welcome party yet.  I sent my invitations out about a week and a half ago. I still have no better idea of how many guests we will have attending than I did back in August! lol  Anyway, I presume most folks will not RSVP yes or no until the last minute: January 18 is the deadline. I will not be accepting anymore after February 1st. I refuse to budge on that.

Where are you doing your welcome party? Will this be on the beach?  Let me know if you get any info on table and chair vendors. 

Originally Posted by uhura526 View Post

Still haven't really been able to think through what we'll do for the welcome party yet.  I sent my invitations out about a week and a half ago. I still have no better idea of how many guests we will have attending than I did back in August! lol  Anyway, I presume most folks will not RSVP yes or no until the last minute: January 18 is the deadline. I will not be accepting anymore after February 1st. I refuse to budge on that.

Where are you doing your welcome party? Will this be on the beach?  Let me know if you get any info on table and chair vendors. 

Well we have the beachfront condos at Caribbean Club, which means we can host something on the beach, so I'm thinking we might as well take advantage of that.  I will definitely let you know what I get on rentals.  Juliette said she would have something to me this week.

Oooh keep us posted on when RSVPs start rolling in.  That time between sending out invitations and getting RSVPs back is going to drive me crazy, I just know it.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't even know where to start.....but here goes:

WELCOME PARTY!!!  A+++++++  Royal Palms/Royal Reef

-They were BEYOND amazing to me, even from the beginning (and I was ALL over the place in my mind).  We had this AFTER our rehearsal dinner and had all our 42 guests attend this party.  The roped off the pool area for my guests, lit the pool up and cabanas up in beautiful blue light, and passed hors' deurves and beer/wine for 2 hours.  Then after our 2 hours, they had a live Reggae band play who dedicated a song to us and it was our first "official" dance......and it was SO special!  It's RIGHT on the beach.....the lighting and atmosphere are AMAZING.....food was delicious.....and they were SO nice!!!

REHEARSAL DINNER!  A - LUCA

-Food was really good and staff was very kind again.  Ambience was great......nothing too special but I really enjoyed it and so did my guests.

LODGING - SOUTH BAY BEACH CONDOS - A>>>>>>>+++++++++++++++

-I CAN NOT imagine staying anywhere else!  These are located right next door to the marriott.  My bridal party and my husband and I stayed here (rented 3 condos, 2 - 2 bedrooms, 1 - 4 bedroom) and the rest of our guests stayed at the Marriott.  These units are from a magazine cover....I swear!  I have NEVER felt more luxurious and pampered in my life!  The manager, Ernie, was so accomodating for us and gave us a HUGE discount because it was my wedding, and the maid was SO kind and sweet and made me feel so beautiful on my wedding day when I ran into here.  The beach is soft (not rocky) and is walking distance to many good places to eat.  Also, since it is next door to the Marriott, we ate over there a couple days and even utilized Red Sail Sports since it sets up shop there.  Seriously should check these condos out for a wedding.......probably my best idea of Cayman overall!  :)

WEDDING VENUE - Grand Old House - B

This place is SO gorgeous, and the staff is so kind and accomodating.  I am only giving it a B because you get UPCHARGED so much for everything for your wedding, and there was construction going on at the time of my wedding.  However, Celebrations came in and Jazzed the place up with the decor and it really made a HUGE difference.

The food here......oh.....my.......gosh!!!!  Most weddings you just expect the food to be horrible or mediocre to be kind.  NOT HERE.....the food was amazing!!!!!  Really went above my expectations!  Alcohol gets pricy so watch this closely.  The wine guy, from Austria (forgot his name).....probably my favorite character!  SO KIND.....smart, and even attended my wedding to make sure the bride was smiling!  :)  Desiree was really a good resource to have.  I did use an outside coordinator.....but Desiree was great.

NOTE:  In the states, it is customary to call around and get quotes on prices and whoever treats you kindly and fairly....typically gets your business.  Well.....it doesn't work that way in Cayman.  I learned the HARD way.  The island is VERY small, and they all find out if you call around for bids.....and then they get mad!  :)  My ignorance on this matter put more stress on me than what it needed to be.  Just understand that things are pricy.....and all about the same cost in the end no matter who you go with.  :)

WEDDING PLANNER:  Creativent - A

I worked with Cindy and Carol for my planning (day of mostly).  They were great to me.  After dealing with some.....not so kind people.....I needed to find someone on MY team.  Hence, my involvement with Creativent.  They listened.....and made everything ok.  Worth every penny for the peace of mind.

Decor:  Celebrations - A+

They exceeded my expectations.  I told Keisha (love her) what I wanted.... showed her ALL my crazy pinterest ideas.....and she put them to life.  Chandeliers, draping, furniture, flowers, you name it....she made it happen.  I was never told no for anything.  Celebrations was one of my shining stars in this wedding process.  Never were they rude or unkind.....and always made me feel like I was the ONLY bride that mattered!  Keisha and I met up 2 days before my wedding to do a walk through and make sure everything was in place.....and she took over from there.  NO QUESTION......I would Definitely recommend Celebrations!  FLowers were gorgeous too!

Make Up:  Ainslee Bodden - A++++++++++

Again......another person to make me feel beautiful.  Not only is she gorgeous....she is SO talented.  There was a mix up with my original make up artist (my fault actually), and I needed a make up artist last minute.  Ainslee was referred to me by my wonderful Spray tanner (up next), and after contacting her, she was SO kind to work me into her busy schedule. She was actually hired to be a wedding planner for a wedding the same day as my wedding.....but STILL came to my condo to do my make up before her events had to start!  She was unbelievable!  I am a dermatologist, so impressing me in this area is tough.....but she really did!  LOVE HER!!!!

Spray Tan:  Nadine Dumas/What it Takes - A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One of my BEST vendors!  She was SO accomodating (she came over a 9pm) and ended up spraying several of us girls because my tan looked SO good!!!!  She found me a make up artist last minute when I was desperate!  Her tans are Aviva brand (which are organic and the most natural you can get)!  I felt SO blessed that I found someone like her because again, as a dermatologist, I wanted something natural.....and Nadine was AMAZING!!!!

NAILS:  Tips and Toes - A

So nice and probably the BEST french manicure Gel and pedicure I have ever gotten!

HONEYMOON:  Ocean's Paradise - A

We went to the other side of the island for our honeymoon (near Rum Point).  I hightly recommend Ocean's Paradise.  It is quiet and the homes are so cute.  The beach isn't fantastic....but it was nice to lay by the pool, in the hammocks, and relax with my honey in these cute isolated homes.  No regrets.....I'm glad we stayed here.  I would recommend, for sure.  Rum Point is so cute.....and very laid back.  Very different from seven mile beach.  More locals I feel.

I flew in my own photographer/videographer (got a permit with the help of Creativent)....and I do not have my pics back just yet.  If anyone has questions, feel free to message me!  Good luck future brides.......it was an UNFORGETTABLE experience!!!!!  I"M MARRIED!!!!  EEEEEEEE!!!  :)

Kristin

Originally Posted by kkb4987 View Post

I don't even know where to start.....but here goes:

WELCOME PARTY!!!  A+++++++  Royal Palms/Royal Reef

-They were BEYOND amazing to me, even from the beginning (and I was ALL over the place in my mind).  We had this AFTER our rehearsal dinner and had all our 42 guests attend this party.  The roped off the pool area for my guests, lit the pool up and cabanas up in beautiful blue light, and passed hors' deurves and beer/wine for 2 hours.  Then after our 2 hours, they had a live Reggae band play who dedicated a song to us and it was our first "official" dance......and it was SO special!  It's RIGHT on the beach.....the lighting and atmosphere are AMAZING.....food was delicious.....and they were SO nice!!!

REHEARSAL DINNER!  A - LUCA

-Food was really good and staff was very kind again.  Ambience was great......nothing too special but I really enjoyed it and so did my guests.

LODGING - SOUTH BAY BEACH CONDOS - A>>>>>>>+++++++++++++++

-I CAN NOT imagine staying anywhere else!  These are located right next door to the marriott.  My bridal party and my husband and I stayed here (rented 3 condos, 2 - 2 bedrooms, 1 - 4 bedroom) and the rest of our guests stayed at the Marriott.  These units are from a magazine cover....I swear!  I have NEVER felt more luxurious and pampered in my life!  The manager, Ernie, was so accomodating for us and gave us a HUGE discount because it was my wedding, and the maid was SO kind and sweet and made me feel so beautiful on my wedding day when I ran into here.  The beach is soft (not rocky) and is walking distance to many good places to eat.  Also, since it is next door to the Marriott, we ate over there a couple days and even utilized Red Sail Sports since it sets up shop there.  Seriously should check these condos out for a wedding.......probably my best idea of Cayman overall!  :)

WEDDING VENUE - Grand Old House - B

This place is SO gorgeous, and the staff is so kind and accomodating.  I am only giving it a B because you get UPCHARGED so much for everything for your wedding, and there was construction going on at the time of my wedding.  However, Celebrations came in and Jazzed the place up with the decor and it really made a HUGE difference.

The food here......oh.....my.......gosh!!!!  Most weddings you just expect the food to be horrible or mediocre to be kind.  NOT HERE.....the food was amazing!!!!!  Really went above my expectations!  Alcohol gets pricy so watch this closely.  The wine guy, from Austria (forgot his name).....probably my favorite character!  SO KIND.....smart, and even attended my wedding to make sure the bride was smiling!  :)  Desiree was really a good resource to have.  I did use an outside coordinator.....but Desiree was great.

NOTE:  In the states, it is customary to call around and get quotes on prices and whoever treats you kindly and fairly....typically gets your business.  Well.....it doesn't work that way in Cayman.  I learned the HARD way.  The island is VERY small, and they all find out if you call around for bids.....and then they get mad!  :)  My ignorance on this matter put more stress on me than what it needed to be.  Just understand that things are pricy.....and all about the same cost in the end no matter who you go with.  :)

WEDDING PLANNER:  Creativent - A

I worked with Cindy and Carol for my planning (day of mostly).  They were great to me.  After dealing with some.....not so kind people.....I needed to find someone on MY team.  Hence, my involvement with Creativent.  They listened.....and made everything ok.  Worth every penny for the peace of mind.

Decor:  Celebrations - A+

They exceeded my expectations.  I told Keisha (love her) what I wanted.... showed her ALL my crazy pinterest ideas.....and she put them to life.  Chandeliers, draping, furniture, flowers, you name it....she made it happen.  I was never told no for anything.  Celebrations was one of my shining stars in this wedding process.  Never were they rude or unkind.....and always made me feel like I was the ONLY bride that mattered!  Keisha and I met up 2 days before my wedding to do a walk through and make sure everything was in place.....and she took over from there.  NO QUESTION......I would Definitely recommend Celebrations!  FLowers were gorgeous too!

Make Up:  Ainslee Bodden - A++++++++++

Again......another person to make me feel beautiful.  Not only is she gorgeous....she is SO talented.  There was a mix up with my original make up artist (my fault actually), and I needed a make up artist last minute.  Ainslee was referred to me by my wonderful Spray tanner (up next), and after contacting her, she was SO kind to work me into her busy schedule. She was actually hired to be a wedding planner for a wedding the same day as my wedding.....but STILL came to my condo to do my make up before her events had to start!  She was unbelievable!  I am a dermatologist, so impressing me in this area is tough.....but she really did!  LOVE HER!!!!

Spray Tan:  Nadine Dumas/What it Takes - A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One of my BEST vendors!  She was SO accomodating (she came over a 9pm) and ended up spraying several of us girls because my tan looked SO good!!!!  She found me a make up artist last minute when I was desperate!  Her tans are Aviva brand (which are organic and the most natural you can get)!  I felt SO blessed that I found someone like her because again, as a dermatologist, I wanted something natural.....and Nadine was AMAZING!!!!

NAILS:  Tips and Toes - A

So nice and probably the BEST french manicure Gel and pedicure I have ever gotten!

HONEYMOON:  Ocean's Paradise - A

We went to the other side of the island for our honeymoon (near Rum Point).  I hightly recommend Ocean's Paradise.  It is quiet and the homes are so cute.  The beach isn't fantastic....but it was nice to lay by the pool, in the hammocks, and relax with my honey in these cute isolated homes.  No regrets.....I'm glad we stayed here.  I would recommend, for sure.  Rum Point is so cute.....and very laid back.  Very different from seven mile beach.  More locals I feel.

I flew in my own photographer/videographer (got a permit with the help of Creativent)....and I do not have my pics back just yet.  If anyone has questions, feel free to message me!  Good luck future brides.......it was an UNFORGETTABLE experience!!!!!  I"M MARRIED!!!!  EEEEEEEE!!!  :)

Kristin

Kristin:  Sounds wonderful!!  You look absolutely stunning and so happy!  You have now renewed my excitement about getting married in Grand Cayman. I hope you don't mind me asking you a few questions.

Re: Royal Palms   I was actually considering having our welcome/after rehearsal party here as well!  We actually have hung out here every time we go to Grand Cayman and rent a cabana and chill on the beach from morning to night. They have some yummy food here too.  Is there anyone in particular you contacted to reserve for your party?

Also, did you use a company to provide transportation for your guests between venues?