Sign in to follow this  
MissyR

Need some advice - Destination wedding during hurricane season?

Here's our dilemma - would love to have our Dreams Cancun wedding next Ocober 2008 right around Canadian thanksgiving - I am paranoid though that Sept and October are prime hurricane months -

Any advice would be great - We are leaning towards just doing it and keeping our fingers crossed!

I wondered about that too, when I first started planning. My wedding was going to be on September 25th in the RM (or surrounding area). For me, it wasn't worth the risk. I know a lot of people have, and it's paid off, but personally I didn't want that added stress.

I guess, If you do decide to go ahead with it, get a plan in place. Expect the worst, but hope for the best.

well as many other brides have done, if its the date you want make sure everyone gets insurance on their trips and hope for the best. Sorry I know its not the best advice but its not something you have any control over. You can always try to look at the noaa website and look at certain areas and how often they get hit, maybe find another area close by that doesn't get hit a lot.

We're getting married at dreams cancun in October, I pray that everything will be perfect!

For us, it was the only time of year that would work for us and for the people that were important for us to be there. My dad runs his own business and he starts getting ready for his busy season in February and is busy until the end of June beginning of July, so that cut out a lot of months for us. We also wanted to give people plenty of time to save, but we didn't want to wait 2 years. We thought about November, but it was too close to Thanksgiving.

So keep your fingers crossed for all of us October brides, I know we are!

I am getting married this October, I just told everyone to get insurance. I am not worried about it, you can't control mother nature. Also, we had to do it in October or wait a year, and I did not want to wait. So, we are risking it.

Also, keep in mind you don't just have to worry about a storm hitting while you plan on being there. You have to worry about one hitting anytime 3 months before & messing up the hotel so much that it's not ready for your wedding. I avoided peak hurricane season. You may not get stressed out by it, but if you have guest who are they might drive you crazy with calls. Have you thought about dreams cabo?

We decided to have it outside of hurricane season because neither of us wanted to deal with that stress. We had already had a trip to Cancun canceled once before because of a hurricane.

BUT you can get much better rates in October.

Like the others said, just be sure to have trip insurance for those things you cannot control.