Jump to content

Photo

At Home Reception (AHR) Do's and Don'ts


  • Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#61 sarah2012

sarah2012
  • Newbie
  • 35 posts

    Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:02 PM

    So here is out dilemma....

     

    For the AHR we really just wanted to do an informal BBQ party at my future in-laws house. They have a nice yard/deck and some space indoors as well. This would have been great for us as originally we were planning the wedding for March 2012 and figured we could do the BBQ 2 months later in May. Now due to pricing issues we have decided to move the wedding up to December 2011. The weather isn't going to be nearly good enough in Vancouver to have a BBQ in Feb and we really don't want to wait 5 months until the weather gets nice again in May. What do we do? Not really sure we want to rent a hall as that just adds to the cost and makes the whole thing seem much more formal than we originally wanted and the in'law's house just insn't big enough without the option of people being outside.....

     

    Ideas, thoughts, suggestions welcome!!!

     

    Thanks 


    Secrets Maroma Beach - December 9, 2011

    Bride & Groom + 40.... What a perfect day!!!!


    #62 Brenners

    Brenners
    • Member
    • 807 posts

      Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:32 PM

      Sarah I really don't see any problem with waiting to have your AHR until May.  I have seen many brides post that they are having their AHR several months after the wedding so that isn't that unusual.  It is a great way to save money and something fun to look forward to in nice weather.
       

      Originally Posted by sarah2012 

      So here is out dilemma....

       

      For the AHR we really just wanted to do an informal BBQ party at my future in-laws house. They have a nice yard/deck and some space indoors as well. This would have been great for us as originally we were planning the wedding for March 2012 and figured we could do the BBQ 2 months later in May. Now due to pricing issues we have decided to move the wedding up to December 2011. The weather isn't going to be nearly good enough in Vancouver to have a BBQ in Feb and we really don't want to wait 5 months until the weather gets nice again in May. What do we do? Not really sure we want to rent a hall as that just adds to the cost and makes the whole thing seem much more formal than we originally wanted and the in'law's house just insn't big enough without the option of people being outside.....

       

      Ideas, thoughts, suggestions welcome!!!

       

      Thanks 



       



      #63 PurpleUnicorn

      PurpleUnicorn
      • Jr. Member
      • 305 posts

        Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:09 PM

        I think its fine to wait 5 months too.  we had our wedding in April 2011 and are waiting till August because i am currently living on the west coast for internship and all our friends/family are on the east coast. so we are waiting till we move back and also want to do it in the summer!
         

        Originally Posted by sarah2012 

        So here is out dilemma....

         

        For the AHR we really just wanted to do an informal BBQ party at my future in-laws house. They have a nice yard/deck and some space indoors as well. This would have been great for us as originally we were planning the wedding for March 2012 and figured we could do the BBQ 2 months later in May. Now due to pricing issues we have decided to move the wedding up to December 2011. The weather isn't going to be nearly good enough in Vancouver to have a BBQ in Feb and we really don't want to wait 5 months until the weather gets nice again in May. What do we do? Not really sure we want to rent a hall as that just adds to the cost and makes the whole thing seem much more formal than we originally wanted and the in'law's house just insn't big enough without the option of people being outside.....

         

        Ideas, thoughts, suggestions welcome!!!

         

        Thanks 



         



        #64 Brenners

        Brenners
        • Member
        • 807 posts

          Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:48 PM

          Our wedding will likely be in February and we live in MN.  Winter here is brutal so I would rather wait until warmer weather to ensure safe travels for us and our guests and more options for venues!



          #65 Etiquette

          Etiquette
          • Banned
          • 5 posts

            Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:20 PM

            So what you are saying is, you didn't care enough about where you were having your wedding so that your guests could attend, But, you are willing to schedule your reception at  better time so that they can make it and you can get gifts.

                Having a destination wedding is your choice, you realize that most people can not attend. Having a reception when you get home is screaming, GIVE ME A GIFT!

               Enjoy the type of wedding you want, but don't impose it on others.



            #66 Etiquette

            Etiquette
            • Banned
            • 5 posts

              Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:22 PM

              Don't have a reception at home. It's just asking for gifts!



              #67 Brenners

              Brenners
              • Member
              • 807 posts

                Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:37 PM

                Wow Etiquette.  Your name is rather ironic.  I am having an at home reception because my family is insisting upon it - not because I am screaming that I want gifts.  I have actually asked about the appropriateness of wording in the invitations to request that no one gives us gifts, however, family and friends were offended that we did not want any.  I am not clear who is being imposed by our wedding or reception.  Your remarks and attitude are rather offensive.
                 

                Originally Posted by Etiquette 

                So what you are saying is, you didn't care enough about where you were having your wedding so that your guests could attend, But, you are willing to schedule your reception at  better time so that they can make it and you can get gifts.

                    Having a destination wedding is your choice, you realize that most people can not attend. Having a reception when you get home is screaming, GIVE ME A GIFT!

                   Enjoy the type of wedding you want, but don't impose it on others.



                 



                #68 lesee

                lesee
                • Jr. Member
                • 320 posts

                  Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:19 PM


                  I 100% agree. My husbands (extended) family really wanted to take part in our day and when my MIL said she'd like to host something for us we thought "why not". The gifts are nice but thats not why I'm having one. I'm having an AHR because my friends and family who couldn't be with us for our DW want to celebrate US with US - it has NOTHING to do with gifts!!!! Etiquette, if you don't want to throw an AHR, don't have one. plain and simple. But I too find your remarks INCREDIBLY offensive.

                   

                   

                   

                  Originally Posted by Brenners 

                  Wow Etiquette.  Your name is rather ironic.  I am having an at home reception because my family is insisting upon it - not because I am screaming that I want gifts.  I have actually asked about the appropriateness of wording in the invitations to request that no one gives us gifts, however, family and friends were offended that we did not want any.  I am not clear who is being imposed by our wedding or reception.  Your remarks and attitude are rather offensive.
                   



                   



                   



                  #69 Brenners

                  Brenners
                  • Member
                  • 807 posts

                    Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:25 PM

                    Since this person is offended by DW and AHR, clearly they do not belong on this forum and are simply screaming for attention.  I have blocked them and suggest others do the same as this person is

                     

                    Happy planning to all the brides out there and continue to support one another! 



                    #70 acireta

                    acireta
                    • Site Supporter
                    • 750 posts

                      Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:47 PM

                      Since this person is offended by DW and AHR, clearly they do not belong on this forum and are simply screaming for attention.  I have blocked them and suggest others do the same as this person is

                       

                      Happy planning to all the brides out there and continue to support one another! 

                      Same to you, Brenners!! Well put!

                      Erica & Al - April 3, 2012 - St. Thomas, USVI

                      Planning Thread

                      Wedding & AHR Pics





                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users