Originally Posted by Brenners
Ok, I am mainly focusing on the DW right now, however, I know I have to also plan an AHR as most people won't be able to attend or won't be invited (we are keeping the DW small) to the DW. I have a few questions for those currently planning or those who have recently held an AHR:
1. Budget. What amount are you looking to spend since you will have just spent quite a bit of money on your DW? Did you include this in your overall wedding budget?
2. Type. What kind of AHR are you planning? Is it formal or informal? How long will it last? Will you also have a dance after the reception?
3. When. How long after your DW are you planning the AHR?
4. Food. Are you having a buffet or a formal sit down dinner?
5. Clothes. What are you wearing to your AHR? Your wedding day attire or something else entirely?
6. Invitations. Formal or informal invitations? We are thinking about having it in the small town where I grew up and many people just put an announcement in the local paper for people to attend but then it is difficult to determine the amount of food you need.
7. Photographer. Are you hiring a professional photographer for the day?
8. Cake. Are you having a traditional wedding cake for the AHR?
9. Decorations. What kinds of decorations are you having for your AHR?
10. DW Photos. Are you going to have these on display and if so, how?
That is all I can think of for now. If anyone else has any questions, then please feel free to add. Any advice is helpful.
Budget - we're doing a 3 - 3.5k budget for this and 3k will be provided by my FFIL for the AHR
It's going to be somewhat informal we're doing it on a Saturday afternoon to keep costs down a bit. It's at a wonderful beautiful location and will be a hor'dourve and cocktail reception. It's mostly mingling we are not going to be re-doing dances or anything like that...but we will have cake!
The AHR is scheduled for 7 weeks after our wedding. This is because I should have all our pics back 6 weeks after and they will serve as majority of our decor. I'm going to place a large picture that I will have printed on thick boarding on an eisel when guests first enter our venue neck to the gift table. There will then be a vintage style designed sign with different arrows directing guests to the photobooth, cocktails, etc.
We plan on wearing different clothes I'm wearing a white long dress from Nordstrom so I'm still somewhat bride looking. We are going to put on our wedding attire right before the event begins to have pictures taken with grandparents and my sister who won't be at the wedding. The photographers that did our e-pics will be there for our AHR.
I'm doing a vintage theme for the AHR so I designed invites that are playbill style. We're also doing a DIY photobooth with fabric and making it vintage looking as well, and my cake is going to have edible vintage buttons on it. I'm using real touch bouquets and centerpieces at the wedding so I will re-use these for the AHR. Since we are doing a cocktail reception we will only have 4 tables and 4 high-top tables set up. I'm going to rent tablecloths in our colors which are green and orange.
Hope this helps a little.