At Home Reception (AHR) Do's and Don'ts

Brenners

My FFIL booked our venue as soon as we picked our wedding date (it's a week after we get back from out honeymoon)...about 11 months in advance.

Originally Posted by AmyG View Post

Thank you girls for sharing all of your AHR plans.  They all sound so exciting!!!

I am going to try and lock in my AHR venue in the next few months.  My wedding is March 2012 (in Mexico) and I would like to have my AHR at the beginning of April 2012.  How far in advance did all of you lock in your venues?

My DW is beginning of March 2012 and the AHR is end of April. Its not really at-home as it is up north where my FI family lives. They booked the hall months ago and recently put the deposit down, but this is because up north the warm months fill up quick.

Its going to be a whole formal reception and I will wear my dress again. Other than that I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible but like posted before - its not for me - its for everyone else :)

We are planning basically just a party. Maybe backyard barbecue style. So I won't wear my dress again. We really want to keep expenses down as this point. So I'm thinking, no photographer, no DJ, lots of food and good drinks :) Our families both know how to have a good time without all the "extra". Definitely will have a slideshow with wedding pics and hopefully video.

Originally Posted by AmyG View Post

Thank you girls for sharing all of your AHR plans.  They all sound so exciting!!!

I am going to try and lock in my AHR venue in the next few months.  My wedding is March 2012 (in Mexico) and I would like to have my AHR at the beginning of April 2012.  How far in advance did all of you lock in your venues?

We chose our reception venue about one year before the date, i am so glad we did too. it was one less thing to worry about!

I don't know how I missed this thread, and actually was kind of shocked when reading it to see how many couples are basically having a formal reception.  But, that is probably because my FI and I picked a destination wedding in part to avoid all that formality, since I have been in 7 weddings and he has been in quite a few as well, neither of us could conceive of having the traditional reception. Guess it just proves to each their own, not only with DW but the AHR as well!

So our "Encore Celebration" which is what we are calling it because it is by no means a reception, will be held at a local park that has pavillions for rent,

-we rented a 500 person pavillion has full kitchen in it, and enough room for people to be underneath in case of rain,

-we will have plenty of food, full bar, along with barrels of beer, also I will have the Jamaican rum punch made,

-will have cupcakes instead of cake, made by my favorite bakery

-we are having a DeeJay and, it will be for dancing and fun music, no dinner music here!

-there is a huge playground on the pavillion site we rented along with a baseball field horseshoe pits,

-we will setup some pics of our trip, along with some other things from the trip just so everyone can see

-I will not be wearing my dress obviously as this is informal, was loking to get a white sundress or maybe somethign tropical, my FI wants to wear a tuxedo tshirt..he thinks its funny, lol, I don't mind at all and if he does we will get matching kids ones for my two nephews

-we will decorate cover tables, flowers lanterns things like that, can't decide if I want to do our wedding colors for decoration or jamaican flag colors

- we will be sending out invites (got at michaels) 6 weeks prior and asking for rsvp since we will still need to know whether 50 or 150 people are comign to plan for food...

-our budget is not really set but minimal, my mom paid $400 for pavillion (it was $800 but we got half off for being residents!) she also paid for deejay which was $1000 but we got for $600 since we know him casually...

wel thats all I have so far, we wanted a party to celebrate our marriage with those who couldnt attend our wedding, nothing stressful, just funcheers.gif