• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#11 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 24,768 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:39 AM

seems like a lot of effort for a cake you don't even get to eat.  i mean, why bother then?

#12 Miss Sunshyne

Miss Sunshyne
    • 222 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:51 AM

You will be ok Janet...lol

Ann, I'm shelling a pretty penny for pictures, I def want a cake cutting ceremony, I'm willing to go out of my way for it.

11.12.2011 "Living for the Love of you" Paradisus Punta Cana

#13 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 24,768 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:00 AM

i guess if a picture of a cake is that important to you, then go for it!  i think i'd still rather go for the real one though - less hassle AND you can eat it!

#14 lesee

lesee
        • 320 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:14 AM

I agree with AnnR. No one eats the cake anyhow!!!! LOL

One thing to keep in mind is the temperature change with the fondant. Make sure they fondant that the place you're using to make your fake cake can withstand the humidity and not slide off the styrafoam on your wedding day.  If the fondant gets dry during in flight it could crack as well. Just some things to keep in mind.

#15 Janet1480

Janet1480
          • 709 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:15 AM

here's hoping! At least i can complain on BDW cause my FI will just tell me to stop stressing :P

I am with you Miss....i want all the pics to be perfect and if your cake is important to you fake or real then go for it...since people dont eat the cake anyway and you are having a sweet table as part of your menu might as well pay the same amount and get the cake YOU want and have to look at forever in your pics!

Originally Posted by Miss Sunshyne 

You will be ok Janet...lol

Ann, I'm shelling a pretty penny for pictures, I def want a cake cutting ceremony, I'm willing to go out of my way for it.

Married my soul mate and best friend on October 25th 2011 at Paradisus Punta Cana

#16 Miss Sunshyne

Miss Sunshyne
            • 222 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:44 AM

Exactly since no on eats the cake I would much rather have a beautiful cake then pay more for an ugly cake.... lol

Thanks for the tip Lesee, I already informed the bakery that it will be a humid destination, they got it all covered... :)

Originally Posted by lesee 

I agree with AnnR. No one eats the cake anyhow!!!! LOL

One thing to keep in mind is the temperature change with the fondant. Make sure they fondant that the place you're using to make your fake cake can withstand the humidity and not slide off the styrafoam on your wedding day.  If the fondant gets dry during in flight it could crack as well. Just some things to keep in mind.

#17 Miss Sunshyne

Miss Sunshyne
              • 222 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:46 AM

janet you took the words right out of my mouth... couldn't put it better

here's hoping! At least i can complain on BDW cause my FI will just tell me to stop stressing :P

I am with you Miss....i want all the pics to be perfect and if your cake is important to you fake or real then go for it...since people dont eat the cake anyway and you are having a sweet table as part of your menu might as well pay the same amount and get the cake YOU want and have to look at forever in your pics!

#18 1elephant

1elephant
                • VIP Member
                • 15,998 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Sunshyne 

If so, where are you getting it from and how are you transporting it?

Sadly my resort has cakes that..... let's just say I can do a better job :( lol

I'm from NY/NJ and cakes are like important as our wedding dresses...lol

So I'm doing the next best thing...fake! It doesn't cost that much, will look beautiful in pics, they leave a hidden slice behind so that you may insert a piece of cake for the cake cutting ceremony and either have the resorts cake in the back to serve.... or I'm thinking of just going with the desert table that is all ready included in the menu, since cake usually always goes to waste :(

I'm interested in knowing what you ladies think?

I'm getting my cake from  Burgundy_and_Ivory_Fake_Wedding_Cake__17894_zoom.jpg instead of the flower I want a large pencil starfish, the fondant will be a pearlized teal and the ribbon color will be coral.

They are chaging me $235 for it.... :)

i'm from nj, and my cake was not that important.

so what are you actually going to serve to the people who are expecting teal cake?

#19 Miss Sunshyne

Miss Sunshyne
                  • 222 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:01 PM

We're going to have a desert table with numerous cakes that are included in our Reception Menu, I'm sure by the time they're done with dinner and desert the teal cake will be the last thing on their mind, and if they ask I will let them know it's fake.....

#20 Kristy!

Kristy!

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                    • 6,368 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:03 PM

It's definitely an interesting idea.  I'm the opposite of you.  I'm from the same area (NY) and didn't really care what my cake looked like, I just wanted to eat it.  We never look at our cake cutting pics and it was such a small part of the whole night, I'm glad I didn't spend a ton on it or think about it too much.

Is there a local baker you could use outside of your resort?  That'd be a lot less work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users