Photo

LEGAL WEDDING OR SYMBOLIC WEDDING??

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Afaybik

Afaybik
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:43 PM

Have you had a legal or symbolic wedding or are having one in the future, did they speak good english or was it hard to understand.  My daughter is trying to decide between a legal or symbolic wedding.  Any pros or cons for either?

#2 blondy

blondy
    • 133 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:17 PM

We decided to do a symbolic ceremony.  We are getting legally married the day before we leave for Mexico (it happens to be April Fools Day - how fitting).  We did this for a few reasons - it was more cost effective, we didn't have to get documents translated first from English to Spanish, and then Spanish back to English (marriage license).  I have heard some resorts/states can take a very long time to give this to you, which means it can take a long time to get the marriage registered back at home.

We're getting married at Moon Palace Cancun on April 8, 2011!

#3 zelda062

zelda062
      • 162 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:19 PM

We are doing the legal wedding the day before we leave too. We decided to do it for the same reasons, but we will not be telling anyone that we are doing the legal part here.

Iberostar Tucan Resort, May 3, 2011

#4 blondy

blondy
        • 133 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:39 PM

We aren't advertising that we're getting married here first, but am telling if people ask (and they have already).

We're getting married at Moon Palace Cancun on April 8, 2011!

#5 mochamakes3

mochamakes3
          • 1,917 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:11 PM

We're doing the legal ceremony is Mexico. We considered getting married here either before or after, but it would cost just as much. You don't have to do anything when you get back as it is recognized in Canada. I'm not sure yet how difficult it is to do all the name changes.

#6 SummerDawn

SummerDawn
            • 324 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:45 PM

We are doing symbolic!

#7 JayKay

JayKay
              • 3,472 posts
              • Wedding Date:January 13, 2012
              • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
              • LocationSouthern Alberta

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:50 AM

We are doing the legal ceremony in Jamaica.  We had originally wanted to get married in Mexico, and because of the process you have to go through there, we were going to get married here the day before we left.  However, we now have decided on Jamaica and its really easy to legally get married there, as well, the judge speaks english.  I think it just depends what feels right for them, as well as costs.  Sometimes costs for legal weddings can be outrageous, thats partly why we chose Jamaica.  Hope that helps!

#8 Readybetty

Readybetty
              • 77 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:39 PM

We are doing symbolic because depending on where they wed, it could be a pretty detailed process. Mexico requires a blood test. No pokes for me thank you! :D

#9 kimbos

kimbos
                • 150 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:10 PM

I am debating the same thing. I am going to Mexico any insight would be helpful.

#10 kimbos

kimbos
                  • 150 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:12 PM

O another thing if you go with the symbolic ceremony and get married before you leave can they post date the papers to match the date of your ceremony? What would your wedding date be if not?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users