Stephanie's RIU Palace RM Wedding Review

Autumn

I hope I get to see your wedding! We have just about the same amount of people - 33 total including Joe and I. How long will you be at the resort?

My dress fitting is actually tonight! I was going with the same theory as you (trying to lose a little more weight first) but my mom just happens to be an amazing seamstress (in her spare time) so I figure I can have her fix it up if a miracle happens where I lose enough weight to have to do so! However, I will be at the resort almost 1 week before my wedding, and with the all inclusive food I'm not so sure I'll have to take it in! HAHA.

We each have 3 people in the wedding party. For gifts for my bridesmaids I decided to buy their shoes, necklaces/bracelets and a $100 spa gift certificate at the resort for their hair or whatever...

We are doing OOT bags too. So far we have mugs, koozies and a bunch of stuff for a little hangover kit (advil, Emergen-C, lifesavers) as well as an "Oh Sh*t kit" (mini sewing kit, sun screen, pepto-bismol, purell hand wipes, pashmina shawl for the girls, deck of cards, mini first aid kit, etc). I'm a little worried about getting it all to Mexico and through customs. I asked Nancy if I could ship it to the resort ahead of time, but she said that previous brides had attempted that and their packages never arrived through customs. So I'm going to attempt to carry it all down with us.

• 11 months later...

Hi Stephanie and all the RIU brides out there,

Your review was great and helpful! We are getting married in April 2012 and I am getting nervous! We have about 50 people so far give or take and my father wants a DJ-so I think my only choice is a private reception?  Do they close chilis entirely to all guests when you make it private?  Chilis seems so big for 50 people-did you feel that way?

I am just getting concered bcecause they are charging $50 per person for a private event minuimum 50 people plus 1200 for a DJ-prices seem to be adding up at an all inclusive resort when I could have gotten married in Boston. I dont want to be crammed in a semi private restaruaunt with all my guests though and our group likes to dance. 

I am not sure what to do-any advice?  Also not to mention they charge per person for appetizers/cocktail hour too! Its getting VERY expensive!

-Teresa....worried bride to be!

Hello everyone,

I am getting married in April 2012 at the RIU rivera maya.  I am starting to get concered because all the costs are adding up.  We have 50+ people coming and a wild group so a DJ is a must.  Its costing 50 per heard for a reception at Chilis (part of my fair is not into meat so botofogo is not an option) and 1200 approx for a DJ-the costs seem to be adding up and we could have gotten married in Boston at this rate! I guess our idea of saving money on the wedding went out the window.  I dont want to sit at a semi private dinner crammed in a room with no music for our guests.  Also we cannot eat until 8:45pm which is not great either. 

Also do they close the entire place for your guests during a private reception?  Chilis seems like a big place for 50 people! Anyone have an opinion on the private recepton aspect?  We cannot even do a cocktail hour with food because they charge per person for that too! Its all inclusive-makes no sense!

I am hoping someone can give me insight on what they recommend since I feel nervous. 

Thank you,

Teresa

Hello everyone,

I am getting married in April 2012 at the RIU rivera maya.  I am starting to get concered because all the costs are adding up.  We have 50+ people coming and a wild group so a DJ is a must.  Its costing 50 per heard for a reception at Chilis (part of my fair is not into meat so botofogo is not an option) and 1200 approx for a DJ-the costs seem to be adding up and we could have gotten married in Boston at this rate! I guess our idea of saving money on the wedding went out the window.  I dont want to sit at a semi private dinner crammed in a room with no music for our guests.  Also we cannot eat until 8:45pm which is not great either. 

Also do they close the entire place for your guests during a private reception?  Chilis seems like a big place for 50 people! Anyone have an opinion on the private recepton aspect?  We cannot even do a cocktail hour with food because they charge per person for that too! Its all inclusive-makes no sense!

I am hoping someone can give me insight on what they recommend since I feel nervous. 

Thank you,

Teresa

Hello everyone,

Thank you,

Teresa