Azul Beach Hotel - POST HERE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaelaMcD View Post

Amanda,

Here is a picture of our floral centerpieces. It was a tough choice for me too, because they are expensive...I think mine were somewhere around $60/table? I did have them at each table, with the votive candles, and the table card. The resort, of course, sets out the place setting and linens, etc. I also made menu cards, place cards (ie; the names tied to the starfish), and had the maracas, all shown below as well. I think when the photographer took the pic of the centerpiece, the place settings weren't completely set, so it might look a little "bare" but it didn't once everything else was on the table.

I think you're probably okay with the candles in the bowls. There was a light breeze the evening of our wedding, definitely not enough to blow out a candle. I guess that could change if it was windy...although, now that I think about it, they do have storm screens that they can lower if/when there is wind/rain. So, all that to say, you'll probably be safe! :-)

Hi. The maracas you used are similar to the ones we bought. They look great! Did you have any trouble getting them through customs? Did you do carry on for those or checked bag also? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey lynn View Post

Hi. The maracas you used are similar to the ones we bought. They look great! Did you have any trouble getting them through customs? Did you do carry on for those or checked bag also?

Hi Tracey!

I didn't have any trouble getting the maracas, or all the other "stuff" I brought through customs. HOWEVER (haha), make sure you have receipts. In my experience, after you collect all your bags, they go through another security type scanner to check contents. Based on that, some bags are searched. All of our bags were searched. All five of them...

We brought 50+ maracas, plus lots of decorations and everything that I put in the guests welcome bags (so a lot of "un-normal" stuff). All that stuff was checked. The maracas literally took up an entire duffle bag (a big one) just on their own. Which was kind of comical walking through the airports with a rattling bag. :-)

The Mexican customs did go through everything, and then asked for receipts which I promptly handed over. There's a Mexican law (look it up because I can't remember the exact details...) about bringing in more than a certain monetary number of what they call "non-essential" items. I think if it exceeds $300 per person, it can be taxed, which is why they want receipts. Worst case scenario, I doubt they would confiscate anything, but I guess you could get taxed without a receipt or if you exceed their max allowance.

If it were me, I wouldn't ship anything...when I was planning I heard nightmares about brides who went that route. Things not arriving on time, or getting lost, or going to the wrong location. Again, it may work out fine, but I'd just be more comfortable taking stuff myself. That's probably the control freak in me talking! Ha. :-)

Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy to help!

Kaela

Hi Tracey! I didn't have any trouble getting the maracas, or all the other "stuff" I brought through customs. HOWEVER (haha), make sure you have receipts. In my experience, after you collect all your bags, they go through another security type scanner to check contents. Based on that, some bags are searched. All of our bags were searched. All five of them... We brought 50+ maracas, plus lots of decorations and everything that I put in the guests welcome bags (so a lot of "un-normal" stuff). All that stuff was checked. The maracas literally took up an entire duffle bag (a big one) just on their own. Which was kind of comical walking through the airports with a rattling bag. :-) The Mexican customs did go through everything, and then asked for receipts which I promptly handed over. There's a Mexican law (look it up because I can't remember the exact details...) about bringing in more than a certain monetary number of what they call "non-essential" items. I think if it exceeds $300 per person, it can be taxed, which is why they want receipts. Worst case scenario, I doubt they would confiscate anything, but I guess you could get taxed without a receipt or if you exceed their max allowance. If it were me, I wouldn't ship anything...when I was planning I heard nightmares about brides who went that route. Things not arriving on time, or getting lost, or going to the wrong location. Again, it may work out fine, but I'd just be more comfortable taking stuff myself. That's probably the control freak in me talking! Ha. :-) Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy to help! Kaela
I totally agree. I was strongly advised to NOT ship anything to the resort. It is very likely that the items will not arrive. If you have friends pack and carry some items in their checked baggage, make sure they have receipts and that they pack the items. That way, they can answer any questions about who packed and what is included. I have heard that Mexico customs has started to be very strict about the $300 limit. The amount of the tax is probably not a lot but there is definitely an inconvenience and hassle factor if you get pulled out of line. Also, where did you buy your maracas? I really like that idea. Jenny
  • Like 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennypert View Post

I totally agree. I was strongly advised to NOT ship anything to the resort. It is very likely that the items will not arrive. If you have friends pack and carry some items in their checked baggage, make sure they have receipts and that they pack the items. That way, they can answer any questions about who packed and what is included. I have heard that Mexico customs has started to be very strict about the $300 limit. The amount of the tax is probably not a lot but there is definitely an inconvenience and hassle factor if you get pulled out of line.

Also, where did you buy your maracas? I really like that idea.

Jenny

I got the maracas off this website. http://www.amols.com/catalog/yellow-maracas They served as a cheap favor, made the tables look festive, and the guests loved shaking them all night to get us to kiss!

My wedding is getting closer, only 7 weeks until we leave!! But I am starting to question the photographer that we are going with. We chose Caribe Photo because it was on of the two choices for Azul Beach without having to pay a fee, but the pictures look like anyone could have taken them. Has anyone used these photographers? Is there a different photographer that you have used and highly recommend? We already paid the deposit, but don't want crappy pictures in the end either. help if  you have any advice!!

I chose to use an outside photographer and pay the fee.  I am fortunate enough that my parents, as a wedding gift, are paying for the photographer so I am going to shell out the vendor fee.  It might be a different story if I had to pay for all of it myself.  Its ridiculously high but I am willing to give something else up.  I did research online and they hotel photographers just don't compare to some of the others out there.  There were several that we liked, you just have to go through their work and see what aesthetic fits you as a couple.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcdonald View Post

I chose to use an outside photographer and pay the fee.  I am fortunate enough that my parents, as a wedding gift, are paying for the photographer so I am going to shell out the vendor fee.  It might be a different story if I had to pay for all of it myself.  Its ridiculously high but I am willing to give something else up.  I did research online and they hotel photographers just don't compare to some of the others out there.  There were several that we liked, you just have to go through their work and see what aesthetic fits you as a couple.  

Which photographer did you choose? I have been looking at other photographers today, the difference in quality is amazing! Pretty positive we are going with Samuel Luna. His  pictures look fabulous and he is surprisingly affordable. Thanks for your input, it helped me realized what I booked through the hotel isn't what I really want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey lynn View Post

Which photographer did you choose? I have been looking at other photographers today, the difference in quality is amazing! Pretty positive we are going with Samuel Luna. His  pictures look fabulous and he is surprisingly affordable. Thanks for your input, it helped me realized what I booked through the hotel isn't what I really want.

We made the trip down for the Brides Dress Rehearsal in March. Looking at the photographers that they offered, we were really unimpressed. We did some research and really loved the work that PlayaWeddings has done and chose them. You wil be hit wih the outside vendor fee, but PlayaWeddings discounted the package we chose to help offset that charge.

Photos and Video was the one area I did not want to go cheap. With many people not being able to go to Mexico and be there, I wanted the photos and video to be top notch.

Take a look at PlayaWeddings, I don't think you will be disappointed.