Azul Beach Hotel - POST HERE!

Flying with your wedding gown......

How did you past Brides handle this?  I was told to take it on the plane as your carry on.  I read on a blog that they do NOT count it as your "carry on" item.  Does anyone have any more information about this?  I contacted Air Tran to reserve "closet" space and received an automated response that they can't guarantee space in their closet to hang the dress.  This is stressing me.  LOL  PLUS, I want to know if I can take another "carry on" besides my purse and dress? I can already see "Bridezilla" sprouted a head if they tell me I can lay it across my lap, if there isn't any closet space!  LOL  hissyfit.gif

Flying with your wedding gown...... How did you past Brides handle this?  I was told to take it on the plane as your carry on.  I read on a blog that they do NOT count it as your "carry on" item.  Does anyone have any more information about this?  I contacted Air Tran to reserve "closet" space and received an automated response that they can't guarantee space in their closet to hang the dress.  This is stressing me.  LOL  PLUS, I want to know if I can take another "carry on" besides my purse and dress? I can already see "Bridezilla" sprouted a head if they tell me I can lay it across my lap, if there isn't any closet space!  LOL  :hissyfit:
Amanda, we asked the same question on our Air-Tran flight to Cancun and the flight attendant told us that they do not have closets on their planes, nor did we even see one. I would suggest using their cheap business class upgrade to make sure you get space.

Im not sure about air tran specifically, id look at their policies. We r flying united and a wedding dress does not count as ur personal item, so my understanding is u can have a carry on, purse/laptop, and the dress. We r going super early and just hoping to get it in the closet

Originally Posted by Amanda Hammett View Post

How did you past Brides handle this?  I was told to take it on the plane as your carry on.  I read on a blog that they do NOT count it as your "carry on" item.  Does anyone have any more information about this?  I contacted Air Tran to reserve "closet" space and received an automated response that they can't guarantee space in their closet to hang the dress.  This is stressing me.  LOL  PLUS, I want to know if I can take another "carry on" besides my purse and dress? I can already see "Bridezilla" sprouted a head if they tell me I can lay it across my lap, if there isn't any closet space!  LOL  hissyfit.gif

Hi Amanda,

I flew on United Airlines - but was also very worried about how to travel with my dress. Luckily the flight wasn't full and when they found out I had a wedding dress coming - they reserved some space in the overhead bin where I could lay it out doubled in half. I didn't bring any other carry on items besides my purse because I was also really nervous about how it would work. My advice in general - is don't stress too much - I think that airlines are pretty used to destination wedding brides travelling with gowns and they'll help you out when it comes down to it. Everybody will be more helpful because you are a bride to be and weddings are such important events! Just look like you are going to cry if they don't help you. And THEN turn bridezilla - LOL.

Hi Ladies!!!  

Just returned from my wedding and it was amazing!!  Will be sure to post a bunch more info shortly, but I wanted to comment on the recent traveling with your dress posts.  

We flew United and I went in with the impression that I'd be able to hang my dress in the first class cabin. When I got to the gate I asked the person at the desk and they said it was up to the attendants on the flight dependent on space and to ask them.  When I got on the plane I asked the flight attendant and I immediately knew by the look on her face that there was a problem. She offered to hang it in the closet, but then showed me the closet...  It was only about 4 feet high and maybe 6-8" wide.  No way my dress would have fit in there without unceremoniously shoving it in, totally defeating the purpose.  Luckily, although our flight was fairly full, there was miraculously plenty of space in the overhead bins.  I was able to lay my dress out completely flat (there were 2 doors, but no divider between, so I took up 2 bins).

Meanwhile, my silk chiffon dress wrinkled anyway.  The onsite wedding coordinators set me up to have my dress steamed, but we hadn't discussed when it would be delivered to my room.  When I hadn't gotten it by the morning of my wedding I called and had them bring it right over, but it was still wrinkled!!!  I almost freaked out.  I called the wedding coordinator again, who was very responsive and they took it to have it steamed again (I believe they said the steamer is over at Azul Sensitori).  It didn't come back perfect that time either, so I figured I'd just have to roll with it. And then I realized the best thing about the humidity in Mexico...  within about 5 minutes of being outside, all the wrinkles just relaxed and disappeared.  

So, my advice...

Forget the 1st class closet - unless airplane closets vary greatly, it will not be helpful at all!

Get on the plane early - be one of those people who rush to get in line to get on first.  Stake out your space in the overhead bins and give dirty looks to anyone who comes near your bins.

If you get your dress steamed onsite, plan to get it back with plenty of time to see the results and do it again if needed.

If it's a little wrinkled, don't stress it!!!  it'll probably work itself out.  And if it doesn't, the location will be so beautiful and you'll be having so much fun that no one will notice!!

Let me know if you have questions!

Gillian

I love you ladies!!!!  LOL   Thanks for all the advice!!!!  My fiance is super chill and never gets worked up about anything!!  So I am stressed that if I push to the front of the line/get in line before my section is called, he will get frustrated with me because it is not the "proper" thing to do.  LOL  He is so funny....I will have to discuss with him the importance of being "first" even if it is not the "proper" thing to do.  I'm hoping I can get a little aggressiveness out of him with this "dress on the flight" situation!  LOL Thanks again ladies!!! 

Originally Posted by Amanda Hammett View Post

Hey Amanda,

I'm with all the other girls here, forget the closet, and go for the overhead bin space. We flew AirTran, too, and there was not a closet on the plane. Our flight was also full, but people were very accommodating and I was able to lay my dress flat in an overhead bin without having to even fold it. Mine was lace, so it didn't require any steaming once we got there either. It traveled great. I just assumed the dress would count as one of my carry-on items, so I just had it, and a giant beach bag with a bunch of stuff. I would suggest trying to stick to two just in case they give you a hard time about technically having three actual "items." You never know...

Also, to anyone else planning, I have another quick tip. We checked four big bags, and both had two pretty large carry-ons each. That was a LOT to drag through the airport both in Chicago, and especially when we picked it all up in Cancun. Luckily, we had two friends on our flight that were able to help us otherwise we would have needed to get one of those carts.

Also, if you have anything "weird" (like candles, or tiny sunscreens in bulk, haha) be prepared for the Mexican customs to rifle through all your bags and drag everything out (kinda embarassing...honeymoon "attire" hellloooooo! :-)). And don't forget the receipts so you don't get charged any duty! 

Last, if you're staying longer for your honeymoon, get someone to take all the stuff you don't need back. That way you're not dragging things like your wedding dress all over Mexico for the rest of your trip. 

Hi Gillian, I would love to hear more about your wedding and reception. Is AB as pretty as the pictures seem? Who was the food and service? Did you use Lomas Travel for DJ, photographer, flowers, decorations, etc? If so, did they do a good job? Can't wait to hear more! Jenny

Thank you!!!!  I plan to take a large tote/purse and my dress.  We have 6 other family and friends on our flight so I pray that we are able to use the overhead bin WITHOUT having to fold it!  I love the idea of sending my wedding dress home with someone else!!  My family and friends are going to kill me!  LOL