Would you post on your website the cost?

We sent out 90 invitations, almost 200 people and only 20 people booked - and of those 20 people, they're all family except for 2 friends of my mother-in-law. We had the ticket prices on the invites, and even made separate ones for the invites going out to different major cities. It was $1815 from Thunder Bay to Varadero, $2325 from Vancouver, $1625 from Toronto, and $1745 from Winnipeg. We also posted it on our website.

We were actually really disappointed with the number of people we have coming, especially the fact that none of our friends are coming. We booked as early as possible - even knowing we could probably get some better deals if we hold off a bit longer to book, but we wanted to book early so we could let everyone know as early as possible. We booked JUNE 8, 2010 and the trip is March 21, 2011. That's nine months they all had to save up. And we had about 45 people say, "We'll definitely be there!" But now we're 2.5 weeks away and we haven't heard from those people.

But, that's me getting my Bridezilla nose out of joint.

When we were choosing resorts, one of the things our travel agent mentioned about the price (which might ease your fiancé's mind a bit) is this:

You could go with a less expensive resort, but when you go lower in price, you go lower in quality. If you go with a higher priced resort, yes, your guests may complain a bit, but the ones who really want to be there with you, will go. And when all is said and done and they were there, in paradise, having a blast, partying and soaking up the sun, witnessing your special day, etc etc., it's the FUN they'll remember, not the price.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We posted the price on our website.  My FI did this without me knowing and at first I was alittle mad because I thought it was tacky....but then I thought about the pros.  It gives everyone a good idea of what they're in for financially and what they need to save. 

Also, at first the thought of not having everyone there that I want there upset me, however, those that are going to be there will have the time of their lives.  I'm also a strong believer that everyone that really wants to be there will make it happen.

We posted our prices on our website, and had to change them when the prices went down.  But I think it is important to be honest with your guests so they don't get sticker shock if they really want to go and call and get the prices and decide you must be crazy when they hear the total :)

I made it very clear what they get for their money.  On my 3 page boarding pass STD I didn't list the cost, but I listed the things from the MP that I loved and sold me on it, and I gave everyone the link to my wedding site that had the pricing on it because I figure they can get sticker shock but still see they don't have to worry about paying for the hotel, food, alcohol etc...

Honestly, I didn't even consider NOT posting it. Most of our closer family and friends knew what we were planning so they were constantly asking us, "where?" "when?" and "how much". So naturally, as soon as I knew, I posted it all.

And besides, if you don't post it, you're just going to be bombarded with questions from everybody and their dog... if it's posted, you can just direct them to your website.

I just tried to REEEEEEEALLY stress all of the perks that were coming with an all-inclusive (especially Palace Resorts who offers Vacation Dollars).  My guests would literally not need to bring any other money with them except for what they wanted to buy for souvenirs since the Vaca $$ can be used for tours, spa treatments, golf, etc.  It's a total upfront cost.

Here's my site, feel free to pull from it, as I have pulled from others!  Any feedback is totallyyyyy appreciated!

www.weddingwire.com/kristynandjohn

I would highly reccommend waiting it out and getting quotes with airfare included. I believe it will be cheaper for everyone if you do. Also, you are getting married at peak season!!!! That is why the prices are higher. Let your guests know why the price is higher and also try and convince them that this is the perfect time to go and get a little sunshine!! Remind everyone that this isnt just your wedding, this is an opportunity to go on a trip with a great group of people to go down south and have a blast! I am getting married January 2012 and have been plannig it since August 2010!!! I know it is hard to wait for prices but it is probably a good idea! You still have time! As for putting the price on your website, I would reccomend it. Then people are prepared and can save money to go.

My father-in-law broke it down the best for our guests.  His opinion:  flight to somewhere nice would usually cost around $800 anyways.  So really for about $130 a day, you are staying in a beautiful room (which someone cleans for you every day) at a 5-star resort right on the beach, eating as much great food as you want, and drinking all you want and enjoying free entertainment each day.  Not too bad when you look at it that way!

Originally Posted by HazelsMelody View Post

We sent out 90 invitations, almost 200 people and only 20 people booked - and of those 20 people, they're all family except for 2 friends of my mother-in-law. We had the ticket prices on the invites, and even made separate ones for the invites going out to different major cities. It was $1815 from Thunder Bay to Varadero, $2325 from Vancouver, $1625 from Toronto, and $1745 from Winnipeg. We also posted it on our website.

We were actually really disappointed with the number of people we have coming, especially the fact that none of our friends are coming. We booked as early as possible - even knowing we could probably get some better deals if we hold off a bit longer to book, but we wanted to book early so we could let everyone know as early as possible. We booked JUNE 8, 2010 and the trip is March 21, 2011. That's nine months they all had to save up. And we had about 45 people say, "We'll definitely be there!" But now we're 2.5 weeks away and we haven't heard from those people.

But, that's me getting my Bridezilla nose out of joint.

When we were choosing resorts, one of the things our travel agent mentioned about the price (which might ease your fiancé's mind a bit) is this:

You could go with a less expensive resort, but when you go lower in price, you go lower in quality. If you go with a higher priced resort, yes, your guests may complain a bit, but the ones who really want to be there with you, will go. And when all is said and done and they were there, in paradise, having a blast, partying and soaking up the sun, witnessing your special day, etc etc., it's the FUN they'll remember, not the price.

That's exactly what we tried to do too. Plus, you get to come see us get married. ;o)

Originally Posted by cookiemunchkin View Post

My father-in-law broke it down the best for our guests.  His opinion:  flight to somewhere nice would usually cost around $800 anyways.  So really for about $130 a day, you are staying in a beautiful room (which someone cleans for you every day) at a 5-star resort right on the beach, eating as much great food as you want, and drinking all you want and enjoying free entertainment each day.  Not too bad when you look at it that way!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Avens! I realize you posted this quite a while ago, but I'm also looking at the Barcelo Maya for next Feb/Mar 2012.  I see that your prices are $1600 + taxes from Winnipeg for the Palace.  Was there a significant drop if the guests decided to book at the Colonial or Tropical?  I'll be having guests coming from Vancouver and Toronto so I'm curious to see if there's a big difference.  Thanks so much!

Originally Posted by Avens View Post

Is the cost of a flight on top of this? If that another 500 or 600 dollars I could see people complaining - otherwise its about on par with a nice resort.

Our package is $1600 plus tax including the flight for Barcelo Maya Palace in the Mayan Riviera from Winnipeg, Canada. I think if you give them a year to save, it's doable. The fact that it is a really nice place makes it worth the extra I think!

Have you tried getting quotes for other places to show him that isn't a crazy amount? Good Luck!

Hey! As luck would have it, I was purusing the forums and saw this :)

I searched back to our original quote, the Tropical was quoted as $1410.00 + 283 taxes. Im not sure what it would be now, but about a 200 difference.

Cheers!

Originally Posted by TropicLover View Post

Hi Avens! I realize you posted this quite a while ago, but I'm also looking at the Barcelo Maya for next Feb/Mar 2012.  I see that your prices are $1600 + taxes from Winnipeg for the Palace.  Was there a significant drop if the guests decided to book at the Colonial or Tropical?  I'll be having guests coming from Vancouver and Toronto so I'm curious to see if there's a big difference.  Thanks so much!