Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas 2011 Wedding

bbocean

another note for you Kary and others,

The flower arrangements double as the flowers they use at your ceremony. we felt they were a pretty good size (no complaints)

Crystals were casablanca lilies...very beautiful. They used one after the ceremony on the head table and the other decorated the cake table.

Flower petals they don't tell you are used to decorate the room for the wedding night.  We found out prior to the wedding and were able to change this and use for the flower girl basket. Actually there was enough to do both, the bags they gave Crys were huge.

Champange I am sure if you ask can be used whenever you want. We didn't realize it was going to be given at the reception...we assumed it was for the reception dinner.

Little things the WC doesn't tell you that would help during your planning

Crys' mom

Found this pic that shows part of the area used for the receptions around the pool...a lot of the area is cut off sorry. They move the beach chairs and they may use either side of the pool depending on the size of your group.  One thing to note is that not only is there a bar there that they will open up for you for a mere 15.00 per guest but it is right at the bottom of a stair case that takes you directly to a bar that you don't have to pay for... only one flight.up. They may use either side of the pool...you may want to ask them which side they'll use. If it is the side right next to the spa you will have to walk around the pool to get to either bar.

Baja Norte bar.jpg

Originally Posted by lcbarnes View Post

Hi ladies!

We are getting married on Valentines' Day 2012 at the Riu Palace Los Cabos, and I stumbled on this site by accident while surfing wedding stuff. I am thrilled to find fellow brides willing to share their secrets and tips, and hope to be able to do the same. 

It's not either of our first wedding, so we wanted a simple fun ceremony and a nice dinner at our favorite resort, We had no idea how many people would come, so we booked the Royal wedding package to start with, as we can always upgrade if we get a huge response from our guests.  We figured for the difference in price between the Caprice and the Royal, we could just pay for my mani, pedi and hair and still come out ahead.

We arranged a group rate with Sue Stiliades at itravel2000.com, and she was able to reserve a decent rate for us, guaranteed for 60 days, with our guests coming from different locations (Vancouver, Edmonton and Regina).  She sets up a booking link, and we just sent it out to all our guests with our invitation, and they take care of the booking themselves with her.  She was fantastic at quickly answering e-mails and telephone calls, and has made the travel arrangements (which I feared would be like trying to herd cats) a breeze.

Since our wedding coordinator at the Riu won't likely contact us until 2 months prior, I have a few questions.  I am trying not to stalk her too soon, but as I'm sure you all agree, it's too exciting and important to wait that long.

1.  Do you get a choice of flowers for the bouquet?  If not, is what they choose for you nice?  My mom is a florist, but I am determined this time around she is just going to relax and not do any work for my wedding, so I just want the resort florist to take care of it.  That being said, my Mom will die if her daughter has ugly flowers at her wedding.  :-)

2.  Is it just a CD player on the beach for the wedding ceremony music, or something more elaborate?  Has anyone hired the mariachi band or trio, and are they good?

3.  Has anyone used the hair stylist/makeup artist at the resort, and are they any good? 

4.  We think we are going to have the semi-private wedding dinner at the steakhouse.  Has anyone had the set menu, and do you have to have the set menu if you are over a certain number of people?

5.  The champagne they refer to as being included in the package is at the ceremony for an immediate toast, correct?  We want to also have a bottle of good tequila for a celebratory shot  (this being Mexico and all) so I'm hoping they'll let us buy one and have the appropriate glasswear.

6.  Any big pitfalls in the planning I should watch out for?

Thanks for your input, ladies, I look forward to planning my wedding with  you!

Hi,

This is Crys' mom hope you don't mind. Crys is out of town and I can answer some of this. 

1)  There is a small choice of flowers that they will use in the wedding pkg. Anything out of that will cost extra.

I also am a florist and have to say that we were pleasently surprised with the quality of flowers used for the reception. Crys decided to have all white lilies and they used casablanca lilies. Your mom can tell you that these can get either get bruised, broken or stained from the stamens very easily. none of this happened...the quality was very good.

The smell from the lilies was awesome...and they were included in the pkg.

2)  Crys went with the cd included in the pkg for the ceremony...sound was great and they played the songs she selected at the correct moments.

3)  again Crys went with the resort makeup and hair stylist and was very happy with them.  one note Crys says is worth mentioning is make sure you are not shy about what you want.  She had her hair in a updo in the back and had to make sure they did it higher then they were going to as she did not want it low on her neck because of the heat. (also her veil was to come from below the bun and not above it). Also she had them do her makeup a little lighter then originally planned. Crys paid for a trial run with the stylist before the wedding day and felt that this was well worth it.  If you want false eyelashes bring your own.  Crys' MH had an extra pair she used as the spa did not have a very good quality for this. The mani/pedi's were nice,  Crys got the gel nails which were nice for the wedding but did not last over a week.

Please read through this post I have rambled on to some of the other girls regarding some items that may help.

Yes I tend to ramble...sorry :)

Hope this helps some

Crys' mom

• Like 1

I did ship 2 OOT bags b/c 4 guests get there before us, but everything else, centerpieces and favors, other OOT bags all are going on plane with us, extra baggage fee only.

Just, I think we need to declare our custom hot sauce bottles.

Crys-

I got an email from your mom with more details (she is great) and we are probably going to eliminate the open bar as well since I'd rather give the servers that money than the resort.

I do have everything set. We are getting married here legally so we dont need to go through the finger stamp thing. We are getting married on Tuesday to have a 11/1/11 wedding date (besides our 11/5/11)

My only concern now is the wooden dance floor. We have a secret flash mob dance we are doing and splinters or tripping concerns me. Plus the floor does look tacky, wish it was painted.

We leave early wednesday morning, our meeting with Adriana is thursday morning. I have appt for nails, trial hair and trial makeup as well as our couples massage all between wed/thur/fri. 

So excited!!!!

Crys- what was the best drink made at the resort? Do you remember the name of any of your waiters?

Hi Kary, thanks for your reply! 

I emailed both WCs, but haven't received a response yet.  I'm not too worried, although I am a "serious planner chick" too, everything I've read indicates that they are fantastic at pulling everything together when the time comes.  We have 21 people booked so far, and a few stragglers who haven't booked yet. We've decided, as long as we stay under the limit, to go with the semi-private at the steakhouse.  We don't mind the surf n turf set menu, and as we are getting married on the beach at 4:00, a 6:30 seating wouldn't be too bad, and will satisfy the Matlock crowd who like to eat early.  :-)  We figure we will just go to the disco later for dancing.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the "trio" and the "mariachi trio?"  We want to do something a little different, and I can't think of anything cooler than having a spanish band play you down the aisle at your beach wedding.

Also, I heard as an extra you can get a spanish coffee station set up at your table after dinner.  Anyone know what that costs?

Thanks, ladies!

Leah

Thanks, Chrys's Mom!  Your insight is very helpful, and my Mom will be so glad to hear about the flowers.

I have short hair, so there's only so much that can be done with it, but I'm going to work out a style with my hairdresser here at home, and take a picture with me to the resort. I worried about the makeup being "too much", I prefer a little more natural look but still want my eyes to pop during the pictures, so I'll be sure not to be too shy to tell them that.

Never apologize for rambling in your posts (which you do not), we information-crazy brides want all the insight we can get, so your detail is very helpful.

Cheers,

Leah

Leah,

I am having the mexican coffee table set up.  It is an extra $5 per person per hour if you are paying for the open bar  which is $15 per person or the coffee table is $7 per person per hour if you are not having the open bar.

I just decided to not have the open bar from hearing  Crys and her mom saying how the regular bar was so convenient (and great waiters, if tipped)

I had until 2pm today to tell Adriana that I changed my mind so the coffee price now went from $5 to $7.

Whatever, I am so annoyed with this all inclusive not being all inclusive at all.

EX. They asked if we wanted cocktail hour before dinner, so that means, not only to you pay $16-20 pp for appetizers, you need to pay $500 for the bar location fee, thats $1300 for 1 hr.  I asked what that gives you and she said PRIVACY, otherwise you just walk up to the same bar and order a drink or appetizer, it is just that others can do it too, not just the wedding.  Now, I'm a brat, but I'm not that bad that other people can't come near me or my family.

$2500 package turned into $6500 in no time, not to mention tax and tips added to that

We got our marriage license today, get married tomorrow, leave for Cabo Wed. morning, so excited to just get there and relax!

Michelle

Michey,

mud slide, superman, caribbean orange were good drinks 

Sorry there were so many with the same name LOL the name Julio stands out...LOL

WOW getting married tomorrow ...Have an awesome day tomorrow that's the day that counts...the rest is only for show...have a GREAT trip...enjoy and relax

Congratulations

Originally Posted by Michey View Post

I did ship 2 OOT bags b/c 4 guests get there before us, but everything else, centerpieces and favors, other OOT bags all are going on plane with us, extra baggage fee only.

Just, I think we need to declare our custom hot sauce bottles.

Crys-

I got an email from your mom with more details (she is great) and we are probably going to eliminate the open bar as well since I'd rather give the servers that money than the resort.

I do have everything set. We are getting married here legally so we dont need to go through the finger stamp thing. We are getting married on Tuesday to have a 11/1/11 wedding date (besides our 11/5/11)

My only concern now is the wooden dance floor. We have a secret flash mob dance we are doing and splinters or tripping concerns me. Plus the floor does look tacky, wish it was painted.

We leave early wednesday morning, our meeting with Adriana is thursday morning. I have appt for nails, trial hair and trial makeup as well as our couples massage all between wed/thur/fri. 

So excited!!!!

Crys- what was the best drink made at the resort? Do you remember the name of any of your waiters?

Leah,

I am having the mexican coffee table set up.  It is an extra $5 per person per hour if you are paying for the open bar  which is $15 per person or the coffee table is $7 per person per hour if you are not having the open bar.

I just decided to not have the open bar from hearing  Crys and her mom saying how the regular bar was so convenient (and great waiters, if tipped)

I had until 2pm today to tell Adriana that I changed my mind so the coffee price now went from $5 to $7.

Whatever, I am so annoyed with this all inclusive not being all inclusive at all.

EX. They asked if we wanted cocktail hour before dinner, so that means, not only to you pay $16-20 pp for appetizers, you need to pay $500 for the bar location fee, thats $1300 for 1 hr.  I asked what that gives you and she said PRIVACY, otherwise you just walk up to the same bar and order a drink or appetizer, it is just that others can do it too, not just the wedding.  Now, I'm a brat, but I'm not that bad that other people can't come near me or my family.

$2500 package turned into $6500 in no time, not to mention tax and tips added to that

We got our marriage license today, get married tomorrow, leave for Cabo Wed. morning, so excited to just get there and relax!

Michelle

I wouldn't do the cocktail hour... there is no need.

We just had all our guests meet us in the piano bar (this is the main bar right next to the reception desk) It  looks over the ocean..and it's free.

When we were there it was always empty but for maybe 6 other resort guests. We found this to be the quietest location and is very large. Lots of tables  and a bar with stools...couple of bar tenders and a waitress or 2 depending on the time of day.

Seriously once you get there you will find that all of the bars are not that far from any place you want to go. bars are just a staircase away and around a corner from the restaurants...the furthest restaurant is San Jose and that is only maybe 3 minutes from anywhere.

Leah,

Michelle