Originally Posted by lcbarnes
We are getting married on Valentines' Day 2012 at the Riu Palace Los Cabos, and I stumbled on this site by accident while surfing wedding stuff. I am thrilled to find fellow brides willing to share their secrets and tips, and hope to be able to do the same.
It's not either of our first wedding, so we wanted a simple fun ceremony and a nice dinner at our favorite resort, We had no idea how many people would come, so we booked the Royal wedding package to start with, as we can always upgrade if we get a huge response from our guests. We figured for the difference in price between the Caprice and the Royal, we could just pay for my mani, pedi and hair and still come out ahead.
We arranged a group rate with Sue Stiliades at itravel2000.com, and she was able to reserve a decent rate for us, guaranteed for 60 days, with our guests coming from different locations (Vancouver, Edmonton and Regina). She sets up a booking link, and we just sent it out to all our guests with our invitation, and they take care of the booking themselves with her. She was fantastic at quickly answering e-mails and telephone calls, and has made the travel arrangements (which I feared would be like trying to herd cats) a breeze.
Since our wedding coordinator at the Riu won't likely contact us until 2 months prior, I have a few questions. I am trying not to stalk her too soon, but as I'm sure you all agree, it's too exciting and important to wait that long.
1. Do you get a choice of flowers for the bouquet? If not, is what they choose for you nice? My mom is a florist, but I am determined this time around she is just going to relax and not do any work for my wedding, so I just want the resort florist to take care of it. That being said, my Mom will die if her daughter has ugly flowers at her wedding. :-)
2. Is it just a CD player on the beach for the wedding ceremony music, or something more elaborate? Has anyone hired the mariachi band or trio, and are they good?
3. Has anyone used the hair stylist/makeup artist at the resort, and are they any good?
4. We think we are going to have the semi-private wedding dinner at the steakhouse. Has anyone had the set menu, and do you have to have the set menu if you are over a certain number of people?
5. The champagne they refer to as being included in the package is at the ceremony for an immediate toast, correct? We want to also have a bottle of good tequila for a celebratory shot (this being Mexico and all) so I'm hoping they'll let us buy one and have the appropriate glasswear.
6. Any big pitfalls in the planning I should watch out for?
Thanks for your input, ladies, I look forward to planning my wedding with you!
This is Crys' mom hope you don't mind. Crys is out of town and I can answer some of this.
1) There is a small choice of flowers that they will use in the wedding pkg. Anything out of that will cost extra.
I also am a florist and have to say that we were pleasently surprised with the quality of flowers used for the reception. Crys decided to have all white lilies and they used casablanca lilies. Your mom can tell you that these can get either get bruised, broken or stained from the stamens very easily. none of this happened...the quality was very good.
The smell from the lilies was awesome...and they were included in the pkg.
2) Crys went with the cd included in the pkg for the ceremony...sound was great and they played the songs she selected at the correct moments.
3) again Crys went with the resort makeup and hair stylist and was very happy with them. one note Crys says is worth mentioning is make sure you are not shy about what you want. She had her hair in a updo in the back and had to make sure they did it higher then they were going to as she did not want it low on her neck because of the heat. (also her veil was to come from below the bun and not above it). Also she had them do her makeup a little lighter then originally planned. Crys paid for a trial run with the stylist before the wedding day and felt that this was well worth it. If you want false eyelashes bring your own. Crys' MH had an extra pair she used as the spa did not have a very good quality for this. The mani/pedi's were nice, Crys got the gel nails which were nice for the wedding but did not last over a week.
Please read through this post I have rambled on to some of the other girls regarding some items that may help.
Yes I tend to ramble...sorry
Hope this helps some