Who is the Best Photographer in the Cancun/Riviera Maya Area? PLEASE HELP!

BEST WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER EVER!!!!!   posted 1/16/2013

Kevin McIlwaine from Stones Throw Images is an incredible photographer. He shot our engagement photos at the Salk Institute in San Diego. I worked for many years as a model, so I have a different level of criticism when it comes to photographers. Kevin took some of THE best shots, I have ever seen. I am talking, editorial shoot quality. We loved our photos so much we decided to fly Kevin to Playa Del Carmen, Mexico, for our Thanksgiving wedding . I cannot express how grateful I am we made that decision. You see, as a bride you don't realize how much guidance you need during your wedding week (in our case), and on your actual wedding day. Kevin became far more than just a badass photographer, he was what I call our "manager". He sat in on meetings with the hotel and asked questions we would have never thought to ask. He kept us ORGANIZED and even set up a time schedule for me, my family, and my bridal party. He kept everyone on schedule, and trust me he had to chase down a few... but having him there managing all of us was above and beyond what most photographers do. Honestly, he is worth his weight in GOLD. My entire bridal party commented on how grateful they were to have Kevin around. He is essentially a wedding expert/coordinator by default because he has shot so many! To have answers to all of your questions that are foreign to you , is absolutely priceless. The icing on the cake is that Kevin is an a really fun guy to be around. He came to almost all of our family events and fit in perfectly. We couldn't have had a better experience. I HIGHLY recommend taking him with you, no matter where your wedding is. You will understand my enthusiasm once you do :) Please check out our photos! http://stonesthrowimages.zenfolio.com/caleche-eric-highlights

Value
 Service
 Quality

For all you out there looking for a great photographer my husband and I highly recommend Octavio Montes Photography Www.OctavioMontes.com! Our photo session was better than imagined. He was great with coordinating times, finding locations, knowing the right times. He picked us up and dropped us off at our resort. He went over and beyond to satisfy his customer. We absolutely love our pictures. He also gave us prints and the cd with original and enhanced photos before we left Cancun. I would never try another photographer after the experience we had with Octavio. Also, he had the best pricing that we could find. I have attached some photos below. Hope this will help some of you out there looking. I understand the stress you are going through right now trying to plan it. :) May God bless you and your soon to be spouse with a forever happy marriage!

I did a ton of research for a great photographer (I've done a lot of photography and am extremely picky... I think these compared to the most expensive photographers personally!) in the $2k range (Del Sol + Elizabeth Medina looked to be in the $5k range, not sure specifics).  My favorites were:

1. Sascha Gluck (who we ultimately chose)

2. Ivan Luckie (nicest guy ever too!!)

3. Phoebe Landa (has a few different photographers working for this company but are really fabulous)

Good luck!

We highly recommend our photographers, Michael and Jennifer of M and J Photography, to anyone who is looking for wedding photographers. They shot our wedding this past November in Isla Mujeres and a Trash The Dress photo session at a nearby cenote. We certainly feel that they are the best - a combination of their amazing talent (check out their website at http://www.mandjphoto.com/) and professionalism, excellent value (you are essentially getting two photographers for the price of one!), but also with their willingness to go the extra mile (meeting on Skype, promptly answering countless e-mails, lots of helpful suggestions for a stressed-out bride, pre-scouting shooting locations). It also helps that Michael and Jennifer are fantastic, friendly people and they genuinely care about doing an excellent job for you.

During the wedding, Michael and Jennifer somehow managed to be barely noticeable as they took upwards of 800 photographs the results of which are beautiful, genuine photographs that truly captured the sentiment and emotion of the moment. When it came time for posed pictures (which the groom in this case is usually hates) Jennifer and Michael gave simple, easy-to-follow directions. Their amazing creativity and use of light resulted in some uniquely stunning photos as you can see below, all of which were captured with ease and efficiency (which made for a happy groom!).

And if you have the time, we highly recommend that you try a cenote photo shoot as well. Michael and Jennifer picked a gorgeous location, were very accommodating in trying to work out the perfect day and time, and were more than willing to help us set up transportation there from the island. The entire experience was something we would never forget, even if we didnâ€t have some spectacular underwater pictures to adorn our home as a constant reminder!

Since weâ€ve sent out our wedding photos to friends and family, weâ€ve received a torrent of incredible responses, many saying that they are some of the best photos they have ever seen, and we certainly feel the same way. You can be sure that Michael and Jennifer will make you and your wedding day look absolutely incredible!

- Jenn and Tom

post-66354-138622454259_thumb.jpg

post-66354-138622454265_thumb.jpg

post-66354-138622454273_thumb.jpg

post-66354-138622454279_thumb.jpg

post-66354-138622454285_thumb.jpg

post-66354-13862245429_thumb.jpg

I think it all depends what you want! 2k is about the lowest I could find (with a great photographer) but the packages don't include TTD, prints/books, engagement pics, etc.  Just 4-5 hours of pictures at the wedding itself w/the photographer + assistant (longer costs more). 

The best thing you can do is ask the photographers for FULL wedding albums of recent weddings they've done.  If you go with a place like Del Sol then make sure it's of the actual photographer you'll be using.  Seeing 300 pics + in the full album gives the best idea of the product that you're getting as opposed to just seeing highlights and special shots that may not be so easily duplicated. 

Great advice, AmamdaPierson + louloizides ! pictures ARE so important - they record all those intricate details you've loving planned for so long......and are cherished not only by you, but for generations to come:)

Imagine seeing photos of how your grandparents looked on their wedding day, and what it was like...... priceless !!!

team MTM asst, Lynda :)

We think that our photographers, Michael and Jennifer of M and J Photography, are the best! They shot our wedding this past November on Isla Mujeres and a Trash The Dress photo session at a cenote near Playa del Carmen. We think they are the best because of a combination of things - their amazing talent (see some of our pictures below), professionalism, excellent value (you are essentially getting two photographers for the price of one!), and also their willingness to go the extra mile (meeting on Skype, promptly answering countless e-mails, lots of helpful suggestions for a stressed-out bride, pre-scouting shooting locations). It also helps that Michael and Jennifer are fantastic, friendly people and they genuinely care about doing an excellent job for you. We ended up getting over 600 incredible photos from them. Jennifer also did a private bridal boudoir shoot with the bride so we have some sexy pictures from that :)

- Jenn and Tom

post-66354-138622454585_thumb.jpg

post-66354-138622454589_thumb.jpg

post-66354-138622454592_thumb.jpg

post-66354-138622454595_thumb.jpg

post-66354-138622454642_thumb.jpg

post-66354-138622454649_thumb.jpg