I'm struggling with whether or not to do my invites myself. I have at least 3 sets to do - a wedding shower, the DW and AHR - all different but similar. I've started to browse around looking at websites and local invite-makers yet nothing has struck me as what I want. As I am pretty crafty I've been toying with the thought of making them. My question to everyone out there - is it worth the time and money? I will be needing approximately 20 shower, 20 DW and 50 AHR invites so the numbers are not huge. Is special software needed or can I just get by with Word?

Thanks!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by june11bride View Post

I did boarding pass invites. I only had 25 to do and it took me a long time, but it did save me a LOT of money. People love personalized, handmade things so I believe it was worth it. It all depends on how much time you have

Did you find a template on line for the boarding passes or did you do it by hand?

Merrylee

I am also undecided as to whether I should create my own saves the dates, boarding passes, invitations and thank you cards. DW usually don't have 150-200 guests like normal wedding do, so I guess it's do-able. I'm going to a wedding show this weekend to meet with a few vendors to see if it's worth it, but I'm leaning more towards a DIY project. If you reside in Canada, have you checked out the Michaels craft stores? They have awesome kits that you can put together and all you need is a good printer and a lot of ink. I think it's worth it and you'll save probably tons of $$$.

For that many invites, it certainly is doable. I did 90 passport invites for our DW and will probably do about 50 AHR invites. This way you can have exactly what you want, especially if you want to follow the same theme throughout. It is cheaper to buy the supplies, and some ordered invites still require assembly. You can use Word and even find templates specifically for word. Check if your computer has Publisher, part of MS Office. I used it and it was much easier for rotating text or changing the color of images.

Originally Posted by Mel2010 View Post

I am also undecided as to whether I should create my own saves the dates, boarding passes, invitations and thank you cards. DW usually don't have 150-200 guests like normal wedding do, so I guess it's do-able. I'm going to a wedding show this weekend to meet with a few vendors to see if it's worth it, but I'm leaning more towards a DIY project. If you reside in Canada, have you checked out the Michaels craft stores? They have awesome kits that you can put together and all you need is a good printer and a lot of ink. I think it's worth it and you'll save probably tons of $$$.

I have seen the kits in Michaels, which are not bad but not exactly what I was looking for (colors, etc.). I've been looking online for vendors with fun papers in a heavier stock. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the tropical leaf I want for a recurring them to fit in - searching for a clip art image of it or seeing if I have a friend that can design one. I'm going to also start playing around with word, and the other programs to get some ideas printed out.

Originally Posted by mochamakes3 View Post

For that many invites, it certainly is doable. I did 90 passport invites for our DW and will probably do about 50 AHR invites. This way you can have exactly what you want, especially if you want to follow the same theme throughout. It is cheaper to buy the supplies, and some ordered invites still require assembly. You can use Word and even find templates specifically for word. Check if your computer has Publisher, part of MS Office. I used it and it was much easier for rotating text or changing the color of images.

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely look into Publisher, I think we have it on our computer too! If you have any pics or templates of your passport invites, I'd love to see them too!